Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Please make my month.
jon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 02, 2009 23:41 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Okey Dokey. New Guy Here. I work at a multimedia firm that took on a new account within the last month. We've been doing standard definition video editing for roughly 5 years ... however our company specializes in other media venues.

Our new account requires HD Video. It's basic shooting and editing .. however it's gotta be in HD. For the past two weeks, we've been scratching our heads trying to figure out why our workstations running Premier Pro CS4 and Vegas Pro CAN'T RUN our new MP4 AVCHD Video. Anytime we try to import and view clips in the software, we get lock ups. We can't even view the clips let alone start an editing process.

Machine Specs:

Vista Ultimate x64
Quad Core Q6700
8GB Nvidia SLI Ram
Dual Nvidia 9600 GSO 768mb Graphic Cards - Running in SLI Mode
Dual 1TB Sata drives

Camera:

Samsung SC-HMX20C

I have literally been up for 72 hours straight trying to figure out how to get this video to work in our workstations. Our first shoot day is only 2 days away...we need to have the 100+ clips edited and uploaded online 3 days after the shoot. I still dont have a solid system to edit. I'm Scared.

I stumbled across some PowerDirector posts and may have realized that this lower end software is what I need....I'm Hoping it is what I need because I cant figure anything else out. Maybe I am thinking too big and I don't need PPro or Vegas Pro?

So I Ask ... Is this the software I need? I'm doing basic editing and exporting to WEB ONLY... no dvd export.

Since we have 5 editing workstations, we'll need 5 licenses. Due to having 5/5 of Premier Pro CS4 and Vegas .. you can image we've spent a lot on licensing. We don't want to purchase this until we know we're good to go.

Any comments or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Help me sleep tonight.

-Foreman

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2009 23:57

jon [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll also add that the Video must be exported as FLV and then put into our custom designed flash player that will play another video in split screen mode(two videos side by side).

RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
Jon

I don't have the answers to your questions, but someone else out there almost certainly does. Meanwhile, you could download the trial version of PD7 and see for yourself if it does what you want (and it won't cost you anything for the trial!).

Robert
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
hi jon,

Your machine specs are fine for PD, obviously working in full HD is going to make things work harder and a bit slower but most of us on this forum use lower specs in a more 'consumer' environment.

There's a few posts on the samsung models, try a search of the forum to see if anything helps - examples -
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5312.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4721.page

The samsung specs say the file format is H.264 with AAC audio at HD: 1920x1080i(50i/25p), SD: 720x576.

Technically PD should handle such files but the .MP4 format seems to be renowned for having proprietary implementation by manufacturers that can make it sometimes a bit of a strange beast. I have no problems with my Sanyo 1010HD .mp4 files but ......

PD is a very easy and quick editor to get to grips with and has some really good editing features. It exports to several file formats but the HD rendering can be unsatisfactory in some circumstances - another forum search will highlight issues.

PD does not export to flv directly. However, many of us export to flv for web streaming using other software, say producing to mpeg2 first then onward.

You don't say your final project size/output requirements and my general experience is with smaller videos and smaller screens, not feature films and 50" plasma so maybe others can comment.

You could look at some examples of output on seemyworldonvideo.com, which is used by some editors here. There are some HD flvs on there but most of my (same user name) HD (not the general SD scuba stuff) is shot at 720p - a pragmatic approach for ease of use/file size and output size - rather than anything else. Others might point you in a direction of their HD output for comparisons?

Personally, as Robert(WA) suggested, download the trial and have a play - for anyone with experience the learning curve is very small, maybe only 30 mins or an hour, particularly for straightforward editing. An added advantage might be the 6 PiP tracks in PD?

If you do use PD and you are under time pressure the guys and girls here can be helpful if you have a specific issue to get resolved.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2009 04:57

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
jon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the information. That's what I needed.

I'll be spending the day with PD today. I'll keep you guys updated on my journey.

Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2009 18:03 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Jon,

I can tell you from experience that PD7 is far easier to use than Premiere and Vegas. That said, there are some basic features in Premiere and Vegas that you won't find in PD7. Chances are you may not even need them.

CH
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector reads my Samsung MP4 files directly. I have an NV24HD camera. In fact, it may be the only mainstream video editor that does read the Samsung flavor of AVCHD. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
it does not the files produced by a Nokia. I found a work around by downloading codecs PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

jon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Firming up ... this program runs smooth and is quick and snappy. Reads my MP4 files ... THANK YOU PD7!

This is the first program I found that will read my MP4 files and allow me to actually edit them.

One feature I'm missing already is the mouse scroll button feature that is able to be used as a "scrubber".

Is there a way to change the "1 second" scrubber feature to "1 frame"?

Thanks ... and so far:

Premier Pro CS4 -1
Sony Vegas Pro -1
PowerDirector 7 Ultra +1
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi jon,

Don't think you can change it to a frame rate but the timeline does expand to 1/10 sec intervals if that's any use. Place cursor on time line, changes to a clock with 2 arrows, click and drag sideways to shrink/expand. Or use clock slider at bottom left of timeline window.

EDIT
The trim and multi-trim functions allow frame by frame selection if that's more useful.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 03. 2009 17:38

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jon, good to hear that you are having a positive experience so far.

When it is time to do your final render you may want to consider MPEG-2 BD format. The rendering quality to MPEG4 format is not the best and the blue ray format MPEG-2 does a good job of preserving high definition. This is what I do with all my high definition projects from my Cannon HD camera.

This way it may also be possible to make use of the other software you have if necessary. You can do whatever editing you like with PD7, render to high definition MPEG-2 and then perhaps you can use your other software as necessary for final touches and rendering to FLV format (I assume your other software can do this since you mentioned it). You would have to experiment to see if there is much loss in quality with the extra rendering steps.

Others have also used the multiple program approach for excellent results.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 04. 2009 07:07

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I wouldn't discount the wmv format.

I've used the WMV HD standard quality and converted it to flv for streaming - with crisp, clear resolution each and every time.

The tools I use are mentioned/available here - Extras for Editors:
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/pages/extras.html

Dafydd
[Thumb - hdtoflv.gif]
 Filename
hdtoflv.gif
[Disk]
 Description
wmv to flv - hd choices
 Filesize
19 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
181 time(s)
jon [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again guys for the help. I'm still getting acustomed to the software. I'll probably export to mpeg2 or wmvhd and then convert to flash using adobe media encoder.

I'll let you know how that works out.