Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
High Quality Option in Youtube...?
Pekka [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 21, 2008 15:05 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Before I updated to new version of PD7U some of the youtube uploads automatically had "Watch in High Quality" underneath as an option for people with faster connection.

Somehow now I can't find uploading mode that would have this option. Using some additional converter seems pretty primitive when it already worked fine before. Anyone know what happened or which Quality of Video uploads brings this option for viewers? Cheers.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pekka,

Youtube went through a HQ version and then added an HD version.

For HD the following post might help, although it does use the 2 stage process.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5455.page

There are a few other posts on members differing approaches to youtube uploads - for example
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5400.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5183.page

Have a search through the forum for further info.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
According to YouTube, this is the specification:
All you need to do is continue uploading the highest quality video you have available. The quality of the uploaded video combined with individual viewers' bandwidth will determine if the video is displayed at "Higher Quality."

Not satisfied with that answer? Still need specific information? YouTube accepts a wide range of video file formats such as .WMV, .AVI, .MOV, and .MPG. Here are a few things that may work well for you:

MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format
MP3 audio
Video resolution: 480x360 or higher
Frame Rate: 24fps or higher

With that in mind, Youtube is constantly tweaking things behind the scenes and some videos just won't behave the way we would like. Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,

Realizing that everyone has had different experiences...
And employ different methods for uploading to Youtube...
And have different ISP's and amounts of bandwidth...
And upload different types of media...
From different source media (e.g. HD camera, SD media/photos, etc.)

For what it's worth (and everyone knows that I'm not a tech guy and just the average PD7 user), here are the settings I have recently been using, that have resulted in consistently getting me the HD option on my goofy uploads.

I produce my projects to Mpeg 2 - DVD HQ - 1280x72(720p) - Mpeg audio. And I upload manually from my YT channel. So far, this has consistently resulted in an HD option tab being placed on my uploads.
Now, as I have yet to upload what I understand to be true HD source media/content, the quality of the of my productions aren't really a true HD presentation. However, they do look better than when just displayed in High Quality.

And just as a side note. I recently did a test upload of a production (that has been on my YT channel for a long time), to a my new "Vimeo" account, just to check out how that video would display there.
It's an older 4:3 (640x480) Mpeg2 production that played in High Quality on Youtube. But when I saw it now on Vimeo, I was blown away by how much better it looked on Vimeo than how it does on YT. Even at YT's HQ playback. I don't know why that is, but evidently Vimeo does something different over there. ??? Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
It's an older 4:3 (640x480) Mpeg2 production that played in High Quality on Youtube. But when I saw it now on Vimeo, I was blown away by how much better it looked on Vimeo than how it does on YT. Even at YT's HQ playback. I don't know why that is, but evidently Vimeo does something different over there. ???

Yes, Vimeo treats lower to medium resolution stuff with more respect than YT does. As far as the HD/FullHD stuff the native's are still arguing over which is better, YT or Vimeo. Vimeo caps off at 24fps for HD stuff (though they said they are upgrading soon to better compete with YT.)

Vimeo is sometimes a little jerky when viewed full screen on my PC. I like that you can download the original source file for most videos as long as you are logged in. Pretty clean interface and very user friendly. I use both.

Its unfortunate that both sites won't lift the curtain a bit on some of the technical details so people don't have to guess or use trial and error to determine, "What's the best format", "What's the best bitrate", "Should I convert to Flash first", etc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2009 01:00

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
OnTheWeb wrote:
Its unfortunate they that both sites won't lift the curtain a bit on some of the technical details so people don't have to guess or use trial and error to determine, "What's the best format", "What's the best bitrate", "Should I convert to Flash first", etc.

I totally agree OnTheWeb!
And by the way, great posts OTW. I've benefited greatly from the knowledge they've contained. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Pekka [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 21, 2008 15:05 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I loved that old thing without the hassle of extra downloads and wonders of what will it be... During Super Bowl I started to upload HD in normal quality and I was still uploading after the whole thing was over.
My production was/is 10 minutes every week. At the end stage of it I realized that I already had that same thing uploaded in a lower quality and the upload just vanished... Well spend 4 hrs

Anyway - after getting all this service from direct uploading it still just seems so old age to start to download other programs in order to get your stuff out there in better quality option. Is there possibly a solution that comes out soon that solves this hassle?