Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slideshow movie jerky when using Movie Motion pan & zoom effects
neils [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2009 22:43 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
First off, it's not the PC, Quad CPU, top of the line everything...

I assembled a 150 picture video montage, complete with pan and zoom effects for each picture. To my surprise, when I playback the video before producing, the video was jerky, as if I was playing it off an old VHS cassette, with the pictures jumping.

I decided to produce the video montage in every possible format, and then tried to play it back on every possible player, and got the same results.

Anybody else run into this ?? I have a presentation to do in a week, and need to get this bug worked out. Please advise.

I hate to do it, but I might have to rip out all the effects, and just run the slideshow dry, sucks, but no choice.

Hope you gurus have something for me, would be forever grateful..

Neil
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Neil,

Please post what version of PD7 you are using.

Dir chair > Help > About Cyberlink

Thanks

Jeff
neils [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, that would help wouldn't it. My build is 7.0.2429a...

To recreate the issue, take a bunch of pictures, ideally over 100, drag them into the timeline, then choose one picture to bring up the Magic Motion icon (2nd icon under the magic hat) on the far left side. You can choose any motion effect, but I chose the random one to have a variety. Then hit "apply to all".

Perhaps to slow things down even more, drag a couple of songs in there for the duration of the montage.

That is basically what I am trying to pull off here. The playback should show as jerky for most of it. My guess is that if I remove the pans and zooms, the picture would sit there stable and steady without movement, so somehow it's how the pan and zoom effect is affecting the picture.

Like I said, it looks like you're running an old 8mm video reel, very jerky.

I rebooted my system, thinking maybe there were some stray processes running in the background, slowing things down (although the Quad CPU would be less affected), but no change, same jerkiness during playback, which also appears during rendering...

Thanks
Neil
neils [Avatar]
[Post New]
And of course, my assumption was correct. I highlighted all the pictures, right click, remove Magic Motion from all the pictures, which brings it back to a basic slideshow. Run the video montage, and the pictures are fine, they sit on the screen without any jerky movement. Of course there is no movement effects, so I would expect the pictures to sit still.

At least the pictures fade into one another, and not pop one after the other, so worst case, my presentation goes without pan and zoom effects, but it would have been nice to have.

My next test will be to apply pan and zoom effects to only a few pictures to start with, and see what happens with those, and if the jerkiness comes back. THen I will add more and more if it's stable, to see where the tool can't handle it anymore and introduces the jerkiness...

More to come...I hope someone from Cyberlink is reading this post, so that they can use these tests to fix this bug, assuming it ends up being a bug...

Thanks so much for your time !!!

Neil
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil,

Added approx 150 images into timeline, applied pan & zoom magic motion, added SmartSound music. Not getting jerky movement, but did notice that motion stops before fade to next image, which could be interpreted as jerky I suppose.

Tried different magic motion effects with the same result, any movement stops before fade to next image

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Neil,

I also did a test trying to replicate your dilemma. So for what it’s worth, here are my results.

Here’s what I did...
- Loaded 128+ (JPEG & BMP) photos to Master Track of time line. (7 seconds each)
- Highlighted first clip > selected “Random” Magic motion + Apply to All.
- Replaced first 60 “fades” with 60 different transitions from Transition Room.
- Placed four music clips (WMA format), and filled entire Music Track.
- Set preview screen to High Resolution.

Project played fine in preview. Maybe a few slight hesitations, but no real discernable skips, jumps, stutters. Music track fine.

Produced to Mpeg2 HQ DVD. (514 MB / Running Time 10:39:15)
Project played pretty much flawlessly through out. A very few very slight stutters (I think). I mean if you look really really hard. But barely visible or at all distracting.
Motion did "not" stop or hesitate before/after any transitions.

I used...
- Dell laptop (1.86GHz / 2GB Ram) integrated graphics card.
- XP Pro / service pack 2
- PD7 2206

It seemed to work fine for me. But of course that doesn’t resolve your problem does it? Sorry.
I’m just throwing it out there as some information.

Hope you get it resolved!
Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carsten,

I think your results have confirmed that this issue is restricted to build 2429a and because of other issues I have, I will reinstall build 2227c.

Thanks for your input

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
I'm running XP SP3 MCE
Athlone 64X2 4600+ 2.4GHz 3GB RAM Radeon X1600 1x 500GB 1x 320GB
PD7 2429a

Did much the same trials 198 slides 7 secs each with pan and zoom no sound, produced to 720p mpg. after about 6-8 slides a very small change in zoom - almost a freeze/jerk just as the transition started, once seen it became more noticeable but it's barely there.
Same things in Power DVD, WMP and realplayer.

Did the same with the 1st dozen or so slides - same thing.

Did the same with a middle dozen or so slides - same thing

Adding sound didn't seem to make any difference.

Using larger screen 19" output made it more obvious than smaller windows but then playback was a bit rougher in general.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
I have also rolled back to 2227c. My issue was mostly confined to video avi clips when I applied anti-shake. Big hiccups. It also seemed to make the Magic Motion (applied to images) a little less smooth.
Not sure if the cure was the rollback, or removing excessive application of anti-shake. Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Barry,

How did you do the system roll back? I am also having trouble with magic motion on produced DVDs. I tried doing a system restore through windows but that didn't do anything.

Thanks Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Barry
Senior Member Location: N Attleboro, MA Joined: Jul 13, 2006 19:57 Messages: 295 Offline
[Post New]
I had the good fortune of a copy of that build, thru a friend. Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
neils [Avatar]
[Post New]
Holy cow, thanks guys. I mean, you may not have resolved my issue, but never thought a bunch of you would take time out to go through the length of effort to reproduce my problem. A million thanks for that, very nice of you !!!

Having said that, I tried it all, and with the same results. What I will do is start the entire project from scratch again, with minimal to no applications running in the background, although like I said before, tons of CPU and memory to boot. Then I will produce the video, and let the video speak for itself by uploading it to YouTube for all of you to see.

So if I can get that done by tonight, I will repost. Like some of you said earlier, could have something to do with the newer build. Maybe I will need to reinstall again....

Thanks guys
Neil
Barry
[Post New]
Join SeeMyWorld, post it there. Join/SignUp to SeeMyWorldOnVideo. We're PowerDirector Video Editors. Are you a member? - JOIN TODAY!
Andrew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 08, 2009 15:51 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I am also getting this problem with jumpy animation when using magic motion on images with the latest PD7. My current PC is also a Quad Core QX6700 4GB RAM, VISTA 64bit, 8800GTX in SLI

I am rendering the project as a MPEG 2 file HQ setting.

To me it looks like that the problem is a multithreading bug in the renderer for magic motion. It looks like the rendered frames are being put together in the wrong order - it sort of looks like it is jumping back and forward. Maybe this problem only occurs with Quad Core CPUs?

I am now going to try PD7 out on my old single core Athlon XP 2400+ to see if that makes a difference (frames would have to be rendered in order with a single core)
Andrew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 08, 2009 15:51 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm that this is some sort of multicore/multithreading issue...

Forcing PD7 to only use one CPU almost seems to solve the problem. I did the following which almost eliminates the issue:

1: Start up Power Director 7.
2: In vista, open "Windows task manager" and select the processes tab.
3: In the list that appears, find "PDR.exe"
4: Right click PDR.exe and click on "Set Affinity..."
5: Untick all CPU's except one - then click OK.

This makes windows only allocate one CPU to the program.

I sugest that Cyberlink test PD7 with a quad core CPU.
neils [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jackpot ladies, jackpot. I am the one who started this thread, and here is my conclusion, which pretty much lines up with Andrew's findings. When I had issues with the jumpy pan & zoom effects in PD7, I decided to go and use my older Core 2 Duo. I never got around to posting my findings until now. Basically, everything was very smooth. At first I thought I would just install the basic PD7 without any upgrades, and that would do the trick. But since I started my project with the upgraded build of PD7, it forced me to take the update again in order to load up my project. So I did, and honetly, left out the pan & zoom effect until the morning of my event. I decided on a whim to give it a last whirl and see if I added one pan & zoom effect at a time to one photo at a time, and see what would happen. And kept adding until I was able to batch add the effect to every shot. And it played back and rendered super smooth on the Core 2 Duo.

So Cyberlink, if you guys are reading this, which I sure hope you are, you need to test the effects against the family of Quad cores. More specifically, add about 100+ shots, then transitions, then music, and once you have all that together, try to add the pan & zoom effect to all the shots and then render. You will instantly notice the jerky, choppy movement while it pans and zooms....

On a side note, the transitions never gave me an issue, but perhaps that is expected.

Thanks everyone for working thru this issue with some of us. I do hope Cyberlink come out with a patch for this issue...

Neil
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
No fix for me, AMD Phenom 9950 quad core and 32bit XP. Back to back tests with 50 pics in motion slide show and burnt to DVD with DVDHQ format with 1cpu and 4cpu's showed no noticable difference. Only fix has been going back to release 2227c.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2009 21:38

WilliamI [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2008 01:05 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I thought you all found an easy fix for me, but I'm still getting the jerky motion even with the process affinity set to one cpu.

If you watch closely you will see the frames jump just as the previous picture has completely faded out. It never occurs during the fade, only when the fade is complete.

Looks like I need to dig around for 2227c.

PD7 ver 2519, Intel Quad Core, 64bit Vista, ATI Radeon HD 3850

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11. 2009 17:40

Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Vista 64 bit, ATI Radeon HD 3850, Canon HF100
Linda B [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2009 13:42 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Wow! This is a deal breaker for someone who does video slideshows as a primary reason for using this package. I just bought it to replace an older version of Pinnacle, so need to know ASAP if there is a work around or solution, Please help!
Ken [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2009 13:40 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
To join in here..
I have a Q6600 processor on Vista with 4gb and Nvidia 9600gt video and PDR 7.

Over 100 images and a couple videos. On pan and zoom, the motion is unacceptably choppy and jerky. I have the latest patch installed too(2519). I refuse to lower my CPU core to try to "fix" this since it defeats the purpose of the addl hardware boost.

Please help Cyberlink!!! The pan and zoom are an AWESOME feature in this build and I use it regularly.