Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Nvidia CUDA on update page but no ATI Stream Technology there
del boy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2009 06:10 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
CyberLink PowerDirector 7 Optimized for ATI Stream Technology from AMD - The First Consumer Video Editing Software Optimized for ATI Stream Encoder.

At the moment I only see the Nvidia update on the update page and not the ATI one.

Can someone tell me when to expect The ATI one to be on the update page?

Thanks

Watch Internet TV Online

Massive Database of Free TV Links

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Is this the one you mean ? :-

CyberLink PowerDirector 7 Optimized for ATI Stream Technology from AMD

The First Consumer Video Editing Software Optimized for ATI Stream Encoder

"Taipei, Taiwan—January 10, 2009—CyberLink Corp. (5203.TW), innovative solution provider for the connected media lifestyle, launches today the latest PowerDirector 7 optimized for ATI Stream technology with accelerated MPEG2 and H.264 video encoding performance.

ATI Stream technology allows applications to take advantage of a graphic processing unit's massive compute capability for demanding algorithms such as video editing. CyberLink PowerDirector 7 leverages ATI Stream technology to maximize transcoding performance when rendering MPEG2 and H.264 video files that users can output and view on the iPod®. PowerDirector 7 supports Stream-enabled ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 and ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 series graphic card solutions.

“PowerDirector 7 is a prime example of how ATI Stream technology can accelerate and streamline processing intensive PC tasks to improve the experience for consumers,” said Matt Skynner, vice president of product marketing, Graphics Products Group, AMD. “We are excited about the impressive results PowerDirector 7 is yielding with our innovative GPU technology and we applaud CyberLink's commitment to deliver great HD video editing performance for video enthusiasts.”

"CyberLink is happy to collaborate with AMD, optimizing PowerDirector 7 as the first consumer video editing software with ATI Stream technology,” said Alice H. Chang, CEO of CyberLink. “With the growing popularity of video editing and AMD's focus on developing advanced graphic and computing solutions, we felt it was a natural step to deliver accelerated software performance to allow users to spend more time on creating and sharing HD videos and less time waiting."

Bottom of http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4395.page

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
del boy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Yes that is the one. But the only PowerDirector update I can see is the Nvidia one and no ATI one?

Thanks..

Watch Internet TV Online

Charles [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2008 12:02 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
No doubt, I asked days ago which release has Stream support and still no answer.
NzYme [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2009 10:13 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
That sucks. I just bought this with the hope I'd be able to get some better performance with my ATI 4870. Lets keep this going til we get an answer.
Bill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2008 04:47 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS58175+10-Jan-2009+BW20090110

PowerDirector 7 optimized for ATI Stream technology will be available on
CyberLink`s online store early February.

Hope it's works about 100x better than avivo video converter.

del boy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, all and thanks for replies...

It wouldnt hurt Cyberlink to mention about the avaiability, I just had another read and there is definatly no mention of the release in feburary.

I am hoping when it does become available that my Radion HD3850 AGP will be able to make use of the ATI Stream Technology.

Oh yeah the avivo video converter is slower than Virtualdub.

Thanks all...

Watch Internet TV Online

Charles [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bill,
No doubt! And let's hope it actually works on Vista 64, something AVIVO don't do yet... ARGH "Coming Soon"

Del,
I'm not holding my breath wrt a Febuary delivery. Cyberlink has been saying that since September in earlier press releases. So why the big new press release about it with no executable to show for it.

I mean come on, some of us bought PowerDirector because it claimed early support for ATI. Then we get burn with a CUDA release first?

I'd have just updated Adobe if I wanted CUDA!

Rico [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2009 16:15 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, all and thanks for replies...

It wouldnt hurt Cyberlink to mention about the avaiability, I just had another read and there is definatly no mention of the release in feburary.

I am hoping when it does become available that my Radion HD3850 AGP will be able to make use of the ATI Stream Technology.

Oh yeah the avivo video converter is slower than Virtualdub.

Thanks all...

Hope you plan on updating your card to the 4800 or 4600 serious because ATI's stream only support those cards....
Charles [Avatar]
[Post New]
Per ATI's own site 3850 will be supported

http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/requirements.html
Rico [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Per ATI's own site 3850 will be supported

http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/requirements.html

Maybe I should have worded my post differently to say that Cyberlink won't support GPU transcoding on the 3580. According to Cyberlink's press release the GPU transcoding only supports the 4800 & 4600:

"CyberLink PowerDirector 7 leverages ATI Stream technology to maximize transcoding performance when rendering MPEG2 and H.264 video files that users can output and view on the iPod®. PowerDirector 7 supports Stream-enabled ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 and ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 series graphic card solutions."

Also, notice that it only works if you are converting to Ipod format and Powerdirector has a limit of 720kbps on ipod files. So don't get your hope up like I did thinking this would easily beat Nvidia's solution...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 20. 2009 16:41

Charles [Avatar]
[Post New]
I posted a question a week ago looking for clarification of the IPod statement as I believe (hope) it to be an understatement do to the popularity of the device.

ATI Stream is an SDK, as such I'd hope Cyberlink wouldn't do something to limit end user choices.

Unfortunately I haven't seen clarification of the press release.

Knowing if Vista 64 GPU encoding will work with ATI AVIVO support still pending would be nice too.

As for keeping my hopes up... I've alread pulled my 4870 from my machine and installed a 9850 as a stop gap. By mid Febuary I'll either have reinstalled it and be all smiles, or gotten a Nvidia 295 and updated my Adobe CS Premiere to revision 4.

Rico [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I posted a question a week ago looking for clarification of the IPod statement as I believe (hope) it to be an understatement do to the popularity of the device.

ATI Stream is an SDK, as such I'd hope Cyberlink wouldn't do something to limit end user choices.

Unfortunately I haven't seen clarification of the press release.

Knowing if Vista 64 GPU encoding will work with ATI AVIVO support still pending would be nice too.

As for keeping my hopes up... I've alread pulled my 4870 from my machine and installed a 9850 as a stop gap. By mid Febuary I'll either have reinstalled it and be all smiles, or gotten a Nvidia 295 and updated my Adobe CS Premiere to revision 4.

Yeah, I saw on ATI's website that AVIVO x64 is not available in the 8.12 update. Maybe in the 9.1 which is due shortly.

With Premiere CS4 you can't just use any Nvidia card for the RapiHD plug-in for GPU acceleration. You can only get the software bundled with the Quadro CX GPU from NVIDIA which is $1700. This is to get the professional to pony up for an expensive card that's not even more powerful than the $350 GTX280.

I'm hoping that they end the exclusive agreement with the Quadro CX GPU and allow any CUDA enabled card which is what Nvidia lead many people to believe in the first place.
del boy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will see what happens in februrary hopefully it will work.

I got the ATI HD 3850 because it looked prommising for doing h264 encodes, I do hope that when Cyberlink bring out the update in febuary that it will do a bit more h264 that ipod stuff.

It would be nice to see at minimum SD settings and hopefully HD settings, and hopefully using main and high profiles gotta be better than baseline profile which i think Nvidia uses, correct me if im wrong here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2009 03:40

Watch Internet TV Online

Rico [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nvidia has main support, but not high. I really hope Cyberlink comes through with High support also, but they don't even support the max bitrates for ipods so I'm not getting my hopes up.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2009 10:52

Nikolaos [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 01, 2008 09:50 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I think that this interview with ATI Stream team
resolves all ....
http://www.rage3d.com/articles/stream/index.php?p=3