Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
burning problem PDR.EXE error (5.00.1227 Deluxe)
[Post New]
I have about 30 hours of work into a slide show with some video included. When I try to burn the file, I get the PDR.EXE error. It always happens at about the 13% mark. I did get this same error randomly from time to time when I was was building my project. I worked around it by saving my work frequently. I have read the forums and have unchecked the two rich video boxes in the preference area. Using task manager to delete richvideo.exe and pdr.exe does get rid of those lines, but they always return when the file is opened from the open saved file.

I have the 1227 deluxe version. My file size is 90 minutes long and I have tried burning in the smart fit and dvd-sp and it crashes in both. I have also tried the patch for burning problems and doesn't help. I did a test burn when the file size was about 20 minutes long and it worked fine at that time, now that my work is done, I get the error when burning.

Thanks for any help or input you can give me.

Ross Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have about 30 hours of work into a slide show with some video included. When I try to burn the file, I get the PDR.EXE error. It always happens at about the 13% mark. I did get this same error randomly from time to time when I was was building my project. I worked around it by saving my work frequently. I have read the forums and have unchecked the two rich video boxes in the preference area. Using task manager to delete richvideo.exe and pdr.exe does get rid of those lines, but they always return when the file is opened from the open saved file.

I have the 1227 deluxe version. My file size is 90 minutes long and I have tried burning in the smart fit and dvd-sp and it crashes in both. I have also tried the patch for burning problems and doesn't help. I did a test burn when the file size was about 20 minutes long and it worked fine at that time, now that my work is done, I get the error when burning.

Thanks for any help or input you can give me.
Ross

Hi Ross,
Just a few suggestions.
1. Produce a mpeg (DVD HD)
2. Look at the destination address of the test burn (My Works/Dakota is good enough for example)
3. Contact Tech Support - they should have some info help for you, PM me afterwards.

I would produce an mpeg to start with - heck you'd have a file then with all your stuff complete. I'd then put the finished "produced" mpeg in the time-line and create a disc (I'd create to a hard drive...but that's my personal preference).

Dafydd
[Post New]
Thank you for the information. You gave me a couple of ideas to work on. I actually did something simular to that. I created a MPEG-2 file in the DVD-SP (so all 90 minutes would fit on a 4.7GB disk) I then imported it into my old version of powerproducer express. It worked!! But the quality was not as good as I wanted.

So, with your idea, I am going to produce a MPEG-2 file (under the DVD-HQ) settings. I will then open a new PD file and add the mpeg to the timeline, then (create disc) burn it to DVD using the smart-fit settings (so it will all fit on a single disc). I will let you know how it turns out.

I did contact support and they gave a list of about 5 things to do. Defrag, increase virtual memory, disable virusscan etc. etc.

I will play around with your idea and tech support and let you know.

Thanks again, you have been very helpful!

Ross

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2006 01:14

Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
[Post New]
One last question, What is the difference between making a MPEG file under the "pruduce" function and Create a DVD folder under the "create disc" function?

Tech support wants me to create a DVD folder without burning a disc under the "create disc" funtion.

Once a DVD folder is created, what do you do with it?

I know the MPEG is used to view your fina work on your computer, or as a file to import to your timeline.

Thanks again. Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: One last question, What is the difference between making a MPEG file under the "pruduce" function and Create a DVD folder under the "create disc" function?

Tech support wants me to create a DVD folder without burning a disc under the "create disc" funtion.

Once a DVD folder is created, what do you do with it?

I know the MPEG is used to view your fina work on your computer, or as a file to import to your timeline.

Thanks again.

Think about the question and the actions being taken by the program. To create an Mpeg is one action, it's creating a video file from the time-line (and involves rendering the footage). Creating a DVD folder...you're converting and rendering the information in the time-line into vob files and you are initiating a menu structure to read the info from a disc. The greater number of tasks the increase likelihood of an error occurring.

By logically dividing the tasks of rendering to an Mpeg you are lessening the number of processes for your PC and the software to carry out in one go.

I would also Create to Folder - something I do as routine... So carry out the Tech advice.

After creating a DVD Folder it will contain two directory folders Video and Audio. Use a disc burning software like Power2Go and place the folders and their contents onto a disc. That's it.... you've got your DVD.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 06. 2006 05:00

[Post New]
Yep, I think I understand it now. I have the power 2 go on my laptop, so if my PD on my desktop still gives me burning problems, I can take the DVD folder over to my laptop to do the final burning.

Great Ideas. Thanks, I will play with it when I get home from work.

Ross

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2006 05:24

[Post New]
I had a chance to work on this and here is an update:

1. I did everything tech support told me to do, with the last thing being a
defrag (system was at 36% and needed it)

2. After the defrag, I noticed that the audio on my MPEG-2 file, did not
match the video?

3. So I burned a new MPEG-2 file to the hard drive under DVD-HD

4. I imported that into a new timeline in PD5, set my chapters point,
opening music, etc.. I tried to burn a disc without creating VOB file.

5. The system stopped responding at about 50%. So then I burned a
VOB file to the hard drive, (without burning disc) and the worked!!

6. I have power2go on another computer, So I burned the VOB files
to a DVD, but the new laptop could not read the DVD with the vob files
It said there was nothing on the disc?

7. So I took the VOB files from my harddrive and put them into a new
timeline in PD5. Entered my chapter points, and opening music again,

8. I pressed the burn button, but left the create file box unchecked, and
then I left for work. Two hours later my wife calls and said that
the program said "burn successful" So it looks like a have a copy and
will check it out when I get home.

Questions: A. Why couldn't the second computer read the VOB files on the disk? They are on there, the 1st computer reads them? are they protected somehow?

B. Is there an easier way of dealing with the VOB files, rather than using them in a new timeline and rendering another disc. Took 2 hours?

Thanks again.

On a side note, I was watching the CPU useage under taskmanager, and boy does this program use alot. It would jump up to 95% from time to time,,,,

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2006 04:40

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Ross,

Quote: Questions: A. Why couldn't the second computer read the VOB files on the disk? They are on there, the 1st computer reads them? are they protected somehow?

B. Is there an easier way of dealing with the VOB files, rather than using them in a new timeline and rendering another disc. Took 2 hours?

Thanks again.

On a side note, I was watching the CPU useage under taskmanager, and boy does this program use alot. It would jump up to 95% from time to time,,,,

A: I'm guessing.....
1. Power2Go is the Express version and cant "see" vob files.
2. The data transfer connection (Network set up) wasn't fast enough for the write process...
As I mentioned ..I'm guessing.

B. yes there should have been.... Go back to the Tech Support and specifically say what action you had to do to get the program to read and write a DVD.

CPU useage.... certainly is a greedy function...video editing. The bigger the CPU the faster the process. Leaving a computer to process an action...made me smile...that's something I know all about. ;

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2006 07:22

[Post New]
Just an update:

My PD5 is now working as it should.

It might be unrelated, but I had downloaded a trial version of power-2-go. That program told me I had to download the latest microsoft directx9 drivers. The file was about 30mb. After doing that, I tried to burn a disc under the create disc function in PD5 and had no problems doing so. So if you are getting a PDR.exe error, you might want to try to update directX.

Thanks for your help!! Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Just an update:

My PD5 is now working as it should.

It might be unrelated, but I had downloaded a trial version of power-2-go. That program told me I had to download the latest microsoft directx9 drivers. The file was about 30mb. After doing that, I tried to burn a disc under the create disc function in PD5 and had no problems doing so. So if you are getting a PDR.exe error, you might want to try to update directX.

Thanks for your help!!

Hi Ross.

I forgot that in the downloads they're often striped down and don't include this. Good update post. Excellent.

Dafydd