Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crossfade without affecting sound (PD 12)
Tadec16 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2015 13:52 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I love to use the crossfade transition on PD12 (I usually go into "transitions" and insert it) but what annoys me is that it always crosses the sound as well. This can have several problems - 1) mixing the audio of one video with another when I don't want to, and 2) shifting all the audio after that point, which messes up subtitles/text inserted at a later point in the video.

This crossfade of the audio happens even if I unlink audio and video, and EVEN if I move the audio to a different track. All the video on that track after the fade is shifted, which makes it then overlap with the audio I dropped down to a second track. I have to manual put the audio back where it was, which is really annoying.

If I have the audio as one solid track and then crossfade the video, the shifting of the video makes the later video off synch with audio.

I've read several posts on how to do fades, including one on how to fade video but not sound: that one suggested putting the inserted video/image on another track. That works, but not for crossfade. What I get is a fade to black and then a fade into the second image.

One more note - I know one way to crossfade is to drag the image/video over the other, and down at the bottom of options is "crossfade." That used to be there, but seems to have disappeared for me. (Yes, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled PD12)

Is there a solution to this, or do I have to just keep fighting Power Director?

Thanks for any suggestions.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 18. 2017 23:34

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You can start by giving a screen shot of your PD interface with your project loaded.

There is preference setting for the default transition behavior, Cross will not change the timing, Overlap will change the timing.

Fade transition should not affect the audio, it just fades the video. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Tadec16 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2015 13:52 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You can start by giving a screen shot of your PD interface with your project loaded.

There is preference setting for the default transition behavior, Cross will not change the timing, Overlap will change the timing.

Fade transition should not affect the audio, it just fades the video.

THANK YOU!

I went into preferences (been there before) but this time found that the "default transition behavior" was set to "overlap," and when I changed it to "cross," all my problems went away. (see screen shot1)

For anyone curious about the details of what is happening, I've attached two screen shots of the project to show what is happening. In the first you see a space with video on both sides and audio below. In the second, I insert a photo and then apply the fade transition to where it meets the video. Notice that the audio tracks shift, and so now to the left there is an overlap.

I had also found that by picking up and dropping a picture partially on top of a video file I could get it to cross without affecting the audio, while that didn't work when I dragged the picture longer (the "crossfade" option was not there)

Thanks again!
[Thumb - After Fade.jpg]
 Filename
After Fade.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
55 time(s)
[Thumb - Preference Cross Transition.jpg]
 Filename
Preference Cross Transition.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
screen shot1
 Filesize
131 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
51 time(s)
[Thumb - Before Fade.jpg]
 Filename
Before Fade.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
126 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
46 time(s)
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
If I am not mistaken cross fade overlaps the two clips making the overall video shorter. My best answer is to separate the audio and video at that point so there is no overlap. Then remove a portion of the audio equal to the amount lost in the fade. Not as easy if it is music or steady noise. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I have used other editors that simply replicate the last frame of the preceding clip which avoids shortening the entire video for each crossfade. I found the visual effect wasn't very satisfactory though. The overlap looks far better but, as James says, this inevitably means the overlapped audio is mixed. His suggestion of unlinking and shortening the audio of each clip is the only way I know to avoid this. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64