Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to Optimize PowerDirector for Rendering
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
One of the things not covered in any documentation is how to fine-tune PD7 for rendering. Obviously having a fast computer with fast (RAID 0,10 etc.) drives is better. But there are questions beyond that...

For example, does PD7 use the windows TEMP directory? If so, should that directory be placed on a physically seperate drive from the source file material that is constantly being read from?

Is it better to output the new file to a different physical drive than the source video, like an external USB or simply a different internal drive?

From an operating system standpoint, the ideal situation might be to have 3 separate internal drives. One for the source video, one for the TEMP directory, and one for the rendered output file. But this depends on how PD7 utilizes the computer.

Anyone have any insights to improve performance? Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
[Post New]
That's a pretty interesting question...a question that I don't have an answer to, but I can make an educated guess.

If you are speaking purely about rendering your videos in PD7, the power of your CPU and amount and type of RAM are the crucial elements here. A Core 2 Duo CPU will be better in rendering than a Pent 4. A quad core will render better and faster than a Core 2 Duo. If you have DDR2 DRAM, this will help rendering times as well.

How much faster you want rendering times will differ according to your processor of course. I decided that a duo core cpu was slower than a quad, but that minimal savings in render time and the inability to overclock the quad cores effectively weren't worth it for me.

As far as playback from your hard drives, it seems RPM speed isn't as important as data rate per second, according to some. If you've got SATA drives, you'll be getting average transfer rates of around 168MB per second or more.

The basic way, and probably the simplest way of optimizing your system is to turn off all unnecessary programs in the background, defrag your disk drives, keep your registry clean, and remove all spyware from your system.

I'm not sure if placing your video sources, temp files, and program on different drives will help significantly speed up the rendering process. If anything, this approach may actually slow things down, (albeit in fractions of a second) since your computer must access different drives in order to access files. Some users on here report that their systems are more stable when they put all the clips and project resources onto one folder on one drive.

In any event, my guess is that the separation of your files to different drives will give you minimal increases in rendering efficiency at best, and not at all at worse.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2009 21:19