Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Editing Freezes Sporadically When Editing Big Files
VincePDuser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2015 17:30 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
When I try to edit a 14 GB video, It freezes when I try to do almost anything. I tried to do the same thing with different file types and the results seem to be the same, for example when I choose to split the video in Powerdirector 15, the entire software freezes for about 20-30 seconds thus making me wait until it goes back to normal. It's taking me forever to edit videos at this rate.

I have a very expensive PC with a very powerful graphics card and processor.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2017 07:53

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Hi VMP, it would be enlightening if you could provide members with your dxdiag (as an attachment) and also tell us what kind of video files you are editing.

Instructions for posting, scroll down to dxdiag. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50105.page HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
websiteee [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 27, 2017 08:22 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
You should divide 14gb video into small MBs. Then it is possible that will happen whatever you want.
VincePDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You should divide 14gb video into small MBs. Then it is possible that will happen whatever you want.

This would take too long
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
There must be a reason why your computer is "freezing" and providing the information requested by BarryTheCrab would be a good starting point to find out why.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with all the suggestions above - provide more information & the workaround of splitting the 14GB file.

14GB must be (a) lengthy, (b) high bitrate, (c) high resolution or (d) all of the above. It sounds like you would need to use shadow files or the substitution method suggested here (hate quoting myself).

"This would take too long", but is it worth it?

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2017 18:06

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
VincePDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I agree with all the suggestions above - provide more information & the workaround of splitting the 14GB file.

14GB must be (a) lengthy, (b) high bitrate, (c) high resolution or (d) all of the above. It sounds like you would need to use shadow files or the substitution method suggested here (hate quoting myself).

"This would take too long", but is it worth it?

Cheers - Tony

How do I use shadow files?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
To use shadow files, simple enable that option in Preferences > General. Check "Enable HD video processing".

When you import your 14GB file, PDR will automatically generate the shadow file, which is a low res .mpg. Then wait. It takes time!

e.g. I just imported a 7.76GB video clip - ~18min duration - shot at 3840x2160 @ 60Mbps. It took just under 6 min to generate the shadow file. The shadow file is MPG 720x480 @ ~8Mbps (DVD quality) - 1.2GB

It's a way of making editing easier on your PC. In final production, the original file is used based on the edits you've made.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
VincePDuser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote To use shadow files, simple enable that option in Preferences > General. Check "Enable HD video processing".

When you import your 14GB file, PDR will automatically generate the shadow file, which is a low res .mpg. Then wait. It takes time!

e.g. I just imported a 7.76GB video clip - ~18min duration - shot at 3840x2160 @ 60Mbps. It took just under 6 min to generate the shadow file. The shadow file is MPG 720x480 @ ~8Mbps (DVD quality) - 1.2GB

It's a way of making editing easier on your PC. In final production, the original file is used based on the edits you've made.

Cheers - Tony

My shadowfile seems to be enabled already when I checked.