Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Assistance with keyframe with crop - black bars
Kostandino [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 11, 2013 18:29 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have seen many a video where the video has no black bars top and bottom, but then to give a cinematic effect the next frame brings in the black bars top and bottom but does so in an animated way. Not sure of the correct terminonlogy, maybe animated letter boxing fits better?

I am unable to work out how to do this on Powerdirector and have done a lot of searching.

I have found the below video for another product, but I think it resembles what I want to do well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABwbvuYbCQ

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome to the forum smile.

That effect is easily achieved by keyframing 2 black color boards in the layers above your main image/video. Place the color boards on to the timeline and then click on each one in turn and select "Keyframe". Now set the start poisition and PDR will set a keyframe for you. Now move the scrubber to the end of the clip and move the color board to the end position.; Once you've done that for each one, job's finished.

p.s. - if you wanted to re-use the effect you could do this over a different color board as the background instead of an image and then produce it and use the produced video as you would a transition by chroma-keying the original base color board - if you understand what I mean smile.

p.p.s - I've just been playing around with the idea of chroma keying to create a transition and it's got my mind racing with almost endless possibilities. I have to say that I'm an inveterate 'do it yourself from scratcher'.
 Filename
Produce.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Example of end result.
 Filesize
2181 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
94 time(s)
 Filename
Produce_0.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Similar effect but chroma keyed as in my p.s.
 Filesize
8453 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
80 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 20. 2017 11:15

Kostandino [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Welcome to the forum smile.

That effect is easily achieved by keyframing 2 black color boards in the layers above your main image/video. Place the color boards on to the timeline and then click on each one in turn and select "Keyframe". Now set the start poisition and PDR will set a keyframe for you. Now move the scrubber to the end of the clip and move the color board to the end position.; Once you've done that for each one, job's finished.

p.s. - if you wanted to re-use the effect you could do this over a different color board as the background instead of an image and then produce it and use the produced video as you would a transition by chroma-keying the original base color board - if you understand what I mean smile.

p.p.s - I've just been playing around with the idea of chroma keying to create a transition and it's got my mind racing with almost endless possibilities. I have to say that I'm an inveterate 'do it yourself from scratcher'.

Thank you, I will give this a try tonight.
Kostandino [Avatar]
[Post New]
Gave it a quick go! Didn't think of doing additional layers, works a treat. Thank you.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Good work Mr Longedge! laughing The creative juices are flowing. Your post brought to mind a little snippet from Blazing Saddles (attached for your amusement)

It's also possible to make motion templates like these, should you need to use the same idea in future projects:

Black Bars Close 1 - Black Bars Close 2 - Black Bars Open 1 - Black Bars Open 2

They look a bit like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChY-CxmPyI

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Longedge Torrent.m4a
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
268 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
85 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Kostandino [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Good work Mr Longedge! laughing The creative juices are flowing. Your post brought to mind a little snippet from Blazing Saddles (attached for your amusement)

It's also possible to make motion templates like these, should you need to use the same idea in future projects:

Black Bars Close 1 - Black Bars Close 2 - Black Bars Open 1 - Black Bars Open 2

They look a bit like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChY-CxmPyI

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony,

I'll have a look and go at your mentioned method tonight also, will let you know how I get on!