Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Long standing problem with PowerDVD stutters playing MKV files
Comer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2015 09:27 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Firstly, bluray disks and iso images play perfectly in my version of PowerDVD 15 at 23hz refresh rate. the MKV files (usually bluray x254) play perfectly on my media player. However, there is an occasional skip or stutter when I play them with PowerDVD. This might only happen every twenty or thirty seconds.

What I've tried so far (in the past few years anyway)

Software

PowerDVD 14, 15 and trial versions of 16 and 17.

In my own PC, which is a modest Core 2 Duo 2.6Ghz with 4BG of RAM, I've tried two ATI graphics cards (most recent was a HD6570) and I've just tried a nvidia Gforce 750 ti oc 2BGB card. With these cards I have tried:

Multiple uninstall/re-installs
Multiple reformats with the absolute minimum software installed for playback
Multiple graphics drivers
Hardware acc on and off with TrueTheater enabled/disabled
24hz and 23hz (23hz better than 24hz for stutters)
RGB and YcbCr
8bit, 10bit and 12bit
PowerDVD decoding the audio and my receiver decoding the audio
Reclock additional software from Slysoft.

I have also tried all the above in an I5 PC with 8GB of RAM and also in an I7 laptop with 8GB of RAM all with the exact same results.

These stutters are very subtle but completely ruin the movie experience for me. Having tried all the above, the only conclusion I can come to is that PowerDVD is flawed when it comes to playing MKV files. I really hope I'm wrong about that and that someone here can suggest a solution as can surely be seen from all my attempts over the years, I'm desperate to get this working.

Thanks