Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 17 Doesn't Start With Windows 10 Version 1703 (Creators Update)
jdfrench3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 06, 2017 07:44 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have normally updated my PC to Windows 10 version 1703 using the normal windows update path. Having tried the Windows 10 Creators Update last week with bad results (failures with iCloud, PowerDVD16, OmniPage, PaperPort, and Razor Synaspe software) I was expecting the same when I was given the chance to upgrade my OS to version 1703 normally.

Well, my expectations were met with a great deal of suprise, all of my existing software, with the exception of PowerDVD 17, worked very well. The installation of PowerDVD 17 gives no indication of any problems until the PC is rebooted, then the program complains about not be able to find a copy of MSVCR110.dll. I rebooted again and that complaint goes away but PowerDVD 17 will not start, even trying to start it in Adminstrator mode provides no activity at all. This was the same results I got last week with PowerDVD 16 and Windows 10 version 1703.

CyberLink has some work to get PowerDVD 16 or 17 to work with Windows 10 version 1703. This is not to point fingers at CyberLink, the problem could be OS related; as a consumer, I simply want the software to work properly.
Wolf2013 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2010 12:58 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I did pretty much the same you did:

Had PDVD16 installed, updated my full patched wWindows 10 installation with the Creators update (PDVD16 still working)

and then installed the upgrade to the new PDVD17. No issues at all. Doing a search for MSVCR110.dll, I found more than a dozend

in various program folders and in the driver cache in a few different versions.

In C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD17\OLRSubmission I found the one I've attached

Not sure what's happening on your system, but do you/did run some "cleaning tool"?

I don't use any of these myself, but they might delete "duplicates" of the same file, even if they are necessary/required.

The only (ongoing) problem I have since forever is, that PDVD 16 + 17 are crashing and sometimes even cause a PC reboot when playing Blu Rays.
 Filename
msvcr110.dll
[Disk]
 Description
MSVCR110.dll in PDVD17 folder
 Filesize
855 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1015 time(s)
DH0523 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2016 20:06 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I did pretty much the same you did:

Had PDVD16 installed, updated my full patched wWindows 10 installation with the Creators update (PDVD16 still working)

and then installed the upgrade to the new PDVD17. No issues at all. Doing a search for MSVCR110.dll, I found more than a dozend

in various program folders and in the driver cache in a few different versions.

In C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD17\OLRSubmission I found the one I've attached

Not sure what's happening on your system, but do you/did run some "cleaning tool"?

I don't use any of these myself, but they might delete "duplicates" of the same file, even if they are necessary/required.

The only (ongoing) problem I have since forever is, that PDVD 16 + 17 are crashing and sometimes even cause a PC reboot when playing Blu Rays.

I also ran into the same issue as the original poster. I looked in my folder that you referenced and the .dll is showing up there. I am able to start up PowerDVD 16 and PowerDVD 15 just fine. The only program that isn't starting at the moment is PowerDVD 17 (I even did a full uninstall/re-install with no success).
DH0523 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2016 20:06 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
UPDATE: Got it working but it took a while.

Ended up having to un-install it completely, re-started my computer, and re-installed it but it's been working fine for the moment.
mrallroy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 25, 2017 18:06 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Oops. Disregard.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 25. 2017 18:35

V4l1dN1ckn4me [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Stroud, UK Joined: Apr 19, 2015 18:00 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Had a similar issue with PowerDVD 14. Looking at the error report it's a permissions issue and lies within the registry. It seems the permissions aren't carried across on the HKEY_CURRENTCONFIG registry key. A quick and dirty solution is to make sure Full Control is ticked for HKEY_CURRENTCONFIG/Software - this will need to be ticked for all users in the list. This sorted this issue (and many others from other vendors) for me, anyway.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Had a similar issue with PowerDVD 14. Looking at the error report it's a permissions issue and lies within the registry. It seems the permissions aren't carried across on the HKEY_CURRENTCONFIG registry key. A quick and dirty solution is to make sure Full Control is ticked for HKEY_CURRENTCONFIG/Software - this will need to be ticked for all users in the list. This sorted this issue (and many others from other vendors) for me, anyway.

It's not news that Windows 10 significant update screwed up things.
Your suggestion seems quite clever to resolve Windows 10 update mass.
Are there any screenshots available as reference? I'm worried if I do it myself, it might corrupt the registry.
Tks a lot.
V4l1dN1ckn4me [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Stroud, UK Joined: Apr 19, 2015 18:00 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Had a similar issue with PowerDVD 14. Looking at the error report it's a permissions issue and lies within the registry. It seems the permissions aren't carried across on the HKEY_CURRENTCONFIG registry key. A quick and dirty solution is to make sure Full Control is ticked for HKEY_CURRENTCONFIG/Software - this will need to be ticked for all users in the list. This sorted this issue (and many others from other vendors) for me, anyway.

It's not news that Windows 10 significant update screwed up things.
Your suggestion seems quite clever to resolve Windows 10 update mass.
Are there any screenshots available as reference? I'm worried if I do it myself, it might corrupt the registry.
Tks a lot.

Hi - I've taken the following from a similar post I put up on the PD15 forum...

Understand your frustration. Similar issue here. However, I work as
a software developer and something at my work cropped up and it turned
out to be a registry permissions issue (not sure if you're au fait with
any of the terminology). On one of the bug reports I look at for
PowerDVD14 it mentioned a similar permissions issue as the root cause.

You could try this...it worked for me and the errors have gone...

Open RegEdit (windows + R, then type RegEdit and click OK).

Locate HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG on the left-hand side. Expand it and select Software. Right-click Software and select Permissions...

In turn, select each item in the 'Groups or user names:' list. For
each one of these, make sure 'Full Control' is ticked in the checked
list below. Once you've done them all, click OK. Close the registry
editor.

Try the applications again. Hopefully you may progress further than an error report.

Cheers
Vorchek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2015 23:50 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I tried this registry method, which was both easy and (so far) successful. PowerDvd 17 is back in action! I dealt with a previous case via the uninstall-reinstall method. I much prefer this latest way, if it holds. Thanks to those who came up with it.

--Vorchek
tjkroll1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2017 19:34 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I tried this registry method, which was both easy and (so far) successful. PowerDvd 17 is back in action! I dealt with a previous case via the uninstall-reinstall method. I much prefer this latest way, if it holds. Thanks to those who came up with it.

--Vorchek

Yeah the registry fix didn't work for me. What bugs me is how there's no error or warning message when ever I try to execute PDVDLP.exe. It just kills the process as soon as I click it. I've installed this on 4 Windows 10 computers and only my desktop am I having this problem on. PowerDVD16 works fine but 17 doesn't. Now if its because I have a Nvidia video card and it somehow doesn't like that, then there should be an error message that appears because at this point that's the only thing I can think of. I looked to see if there were any missing dll's in the working directory and there were not. I made sure that .NET was good to go and it is. I made sure that there weren't any unset system environment variables and there weren't. So far PowerDVD17 has been working pretty poorly for me. I mean the lack of error handling is ridicious! There should at least be a log in the working directory.