Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Lagging computer while editing
[Post New]
Hi All

I know this question is nothing to do with the actual software but it is related to it so I hope the Mods will let this run laughing

First of all I have checked the website for system requirements, Ive also had a quick scan and search of other posts but cannot find any help?

My problem is, while editing, if I load up 2 or more overlapping videos in the timeline the playback is lagging horendously, like so bad I cant see what effects are doing at the time of transition? My computer is up to the system requirements given from Cyberlink so I dont know what the problem could be? I have already entered the task manager and made PDR high priority but this didnt seem to change anything.

System Info is:

W10 64bit

12Gb Ram

Core I5-6200U CPU 2.40Ghz Dual

Gforce 940M GPU

Can anyone advise anything I can do to stop the lagging? Is there a way of going in to the BIOS and stopping unnecessary programs from running and only leaving ones associated to PDR running? Im thinking as this is a laptop the best solution would be to use a desktop with a quad core CPU a better GPU etc? The thing Im a little annoyed about is the laptop was actually sold with good reviews of video editing and wasnt cheap hence Im trying to fix the problem rather than go buy a desktop or another laptop. Please, no mention of clocking the chip..... Ive learnt the hard wayyell

Thanks for the help in advance and hope you are all having a great weekend cool
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Lower the Preview Resolution will help the computer to keep up.

Laptops are not good computers to use for Video Editing. Sure, there are fast game laptops that are fast, but still not great for video editing. Laptops don't have great Video systems.

You can get by if you are very patient. Video editing takes more video and computer power than just about anything else.

. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Carl, you are an absolute star!! Thankyou very much for the information!!

I have just set the preview to normal with 4x videos and FX and its fine cool

I would of never thought to set the preview quality low as the only setting I mess around with is the FPS.... I will have a good look through the settings for other things that may help with other problems I could encounter!!

You have a great week end!!
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Sure, there are fast game laptops that are fast, but still not great for video editing. Laptops don't have great Video systems.
Perhaps you just haven't seen any of the new laptops? Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Sure, there are fast game laptops that are fast, but still not great for video editing. Laptops don't have great Video systems.
Perhaps you just haven't seen any of the new laptops?

Could Be Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]

Hi Gary

Ive always been lead to believe that laptop CPUs are less powerful than desktop CPUs? For instance, The I5 I have in my laptop has a clock of 2.4Ghz but if you compare this to the equivelent chip of a desktop, the clock speed is 3.2Ghz, The TDP of the desktop chip is also nearly double?! The GPU would be the same to I guess? My GPU comes with an ''M'' abreviation after the model number, I'm guessing this abreviation means for Mobile devices??

Can you advise of a good laptop for video editing? If so its possible I would purchase one specifically for editing!
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
well, may i...

ref: New PC for video editing; advice sought... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/51843.page

read my recommendations -> # what is the best computer for video editing spec: & http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

my recommendations is listed for used laptop because of the limited budget...

here's another one -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-M4700-Intel-i7-3rd-Gen-2-8ghz-8GB-250GB-HDMI-Windows-10-Pro-/152495469874?hash=item2381703532:g:dMoAAOSwol5Y4Wxo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JT180-Dell-Precision-M4700-15-6-Laptop-3rd-Gen-i7-3840QM-2-8GHz-16GB-500GB-/122418240447?hash=item1c80b21bbf:g:F3oAAOSwuLZY2aE3

Do Not Pay No More Than $300 + ???(is up to you)

why? even though it's older and couple of gen back... sellers want top dollars for their used at a cost of a new computer.

for example: used and it's third gen I7 cpu -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-M6700-i7-3840QM-32GB-2-8GHz-nvidia-K5000M-1TB-HD-space-/192150632139?hash=item2cbd11f6cb:g:efEAAOSww3tY4Auh

new and seventh gen I7 cpu -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-INSPIRON-7567-GAMING-LAPTOP-i7-7700HQ-8GB-DDR4-1TB-SSHD-GEFORCE-GTX-1050Ti-/332082868607?hash=item4d51ae717f:g:BjAAAOSwUgNXPJYt

now

if you're not going to edit 4k 10bit 4.2.2 HEVC H.265 and all that good stuff you don't know anything about then

above pc with $300 price tag will take care of you until the death do you part...

Carl's desktop cpu AMD Phenom II X4 965 score 4223

yours Intel Core i5-6200U score 3950 (I7-3840QM 8849; oh yeah you'll definitely see the speeed!)

my dell xps Intel Core i7-2720QM score 6106, so rated GHz is a psychological warfare from sellers.

GGRussell has own story to tell you.

oh happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 09. 2017 13:04

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
[Post New]
Hi Pepsiman

Yes you very well may!!

That information is fantastic! If I look at the link given by you for the laptop for $300 it is in fact ''faster'' with a 3.2Ghz.... I feel sick as I paid nearly $1000 for this pile of poop about 6months ago... yell I am in the unfortunate situation where my knowledge of computers and hardware is very (very) limited..... Hence it looks like I have become part of the media sales jargon mugged off buyers....

With the information given I will certainly be doing a lot more homework in to computers and the technology surrounding the hardware within them!!

Thanks for the information, have a great day cool
JotaTech [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Puerto Rico Joined: Mar 22, 2017 12:54 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Just to spread the information, the "U" line of Intel Cpu's are much lighter than the "HQ" in laptops, or the K and non-K in Desktops. For example, the "U" i5 can only have 2 cores, and the desktop lineup have 4.

The "M" lineup of NVIDIA GTX GPU's are for "Mobile", so you can't compare a 940 desktop to a 940M. the 940M.

If you will go tu upgrade your laptop on a future, maybe a i5 or i7 HQ or HK for laptop, and a GTX 10 series may look better por editing and rendering.

Hi Gary

Ive always been lead to believe that laptop CPUs are less powerful than desktop CPUs? For instance, The I5 I have in my laptop has a clock of 2.4Ghz but if you compare this to the equivelent chip of a desktop, the clock speed is 3.2Ghz, The TDP of the desktop chip is also nearly double?! The GPU would be the same to I guess? My GPU comes with an ''M'' abreviation after the model number, I'm guessing this abreviation means for Mobile devices??

Can you advise of a good laptop for video editing? If so its possible I would purchase one specifically for editing!
[Post New]
Hi Jotatech

That information is well received! Ill keep all this information to my mind in the case of upgrade or even new machine purchase! cool