Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Not sure what this is called...could use some help!
[Post New]
Hey all; I'm new to PD and new to the forum. I've done some editing in Windows Movie Maker and actually love the simplicity, but alas...it won't output my 4k drone footage in 4k; it just compresses it to 1080p and makes it a little fuzzy. So I just bought the PD15 Ultimate Suite (after trying about 5 different opensource options) and I'm liking it...quite a learning curve for me, but fun!

My first (of many) questions is this: how do I draw a circle around an object in a video? Or draw an arrow pointing at an object? Seems like this would be "simple", but it escapes me.

I don't even know what this is called in PD, so I'm open to being enlightened. laughing

For instance, in this video an Osprey was checking out my drone, I'd love to maybe freeze the video at 0:05, point an arrow at the bird for a second, then unfreeze and remove the arrow. At 0:27, he (she?) comes back into frame from the bottom, but there's also an almost invisible airplane in the upper right of the screen that I'd like to maybe put a red circle around and have the circle follow the airplane for a few seconds. (The reason for that is that the airplane begins a turn to the left, and the Osprey does the same, almost mimicing the curve of the airplane's turn, which I think was unintentional, but cool! The airplane straightens out but the Osprey continues to the left, making a U-Turn and flying by my drone again.)

Can anybody teach me how to "do" these two things...and tell me what they're called? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

(Later on I'll be asking about how to fix the colors, but...one step at a time. wink )
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi WildDoktor -

There are quite a few ways to do what you want. Just a few...

You could use a simple motion object like this one

If you don't like the colour, just use Fix/Enhance to modofy.

... or you could use the Magnifier effect

... or this PiP Object

Those three look like this:

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote Hi WildDoktor -

There are quite a few ways to do what you want. Just a few...

Cheers - Tony

Wow...thanks Tony! Sure wish I were looking over your shoulder when you made those! Did you use manual keyframes to place the objects and the text, or did you use one of the automated features? Did you spend much time doing this?

I can't wait to get home so I can mess around with this. Only 7.5 more hours... :
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again -

In order of ease:

1. The magnifier effect is built into PDR (under FX) & it's quick & easy to apply & modify.

2. The moving arrow takes a bit longer to keyframe, but it's still a simple task... even moreso if you just plonk the arrow there with no motion.

3. The squiggly sketchy lines was a bit more complex to do, but mainly because I made it before PDR could handle alpha channel videos (with transparency). It's actually an animation containing lots of separate .png files. The recent versions of PDR support alpha channel video import, so making animations like that isn't necessary.

There are probably dozens of other possibilities for highlighting something in your video. Just depends how much trouble you want to go to.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!