Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video footage duration incorrect, when copy/pasting into another project.
JITF [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Spatial Incognito Joined: Jan 16, 2016 10:07 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Good morning all,

As succinctly as possible, here is my issue:

• I have 3 project files (Disc 1, 2, 3) that I want to consolidate into a single project file (because I purchased a BD-R XL 100 GB disc and ergo won't need to use three separate 25 GB BD-R discs).

• After creating a new project in which to copy/paste the video from Discs 1, 2, 3 - Disc 1 and 3 paste correctly into the new project's timeline.

• The issue is, Disc 2, when pasted into the new project, has an incredibly inaccurate new duration time for all of the video clips. For example, All three of the discs are approximately 8 hours long. However, when pasting in Disc 2's footage, it adds about 70 hours to the timeline. Every clip now has an incorrect duration after being pasted and they play, but only to the point that they normally should, after that duration point for each clip nothing plays, but no "blackness" is showing in the thumbnail, etc.

• All projects have the same aspect ratio (16:9) and I can't think of or determine what could possibly be causing Disc 2 to have this glaring duration error when the other identical disc projects are just fine.

Thank you very much in advance for any help, suggestions, tips, ideas, etc. and have a great day!

My Program Info:

PowerDirector Version: 15.0.2509.0

Version Type: Ultimate

SR #: VDE161221-03

My Computer Info:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Intel Core i7 4771 @ 3.50GHz - Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz ( 11-11-11-28 )

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 24. 2017 09:18

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Good morning all,

• I have 3 project files (Disc 1, 2, 3) that I want to consolidate into a single project file (because I purchased a BD-R XL 100 GB disc and ergo won't need to use three separate 25 GB BD-R discs).

• After creating a new project in which to copy/paste the video from Discs 1, 2, 3 - Disc 1 and 3 paste correctly into the new project's timeline.

• The issue is, Disc 2, when pasted into the new project, has an incredibly inaccurate new duration time for all of the video clips. For example, All three of the discs are approximately 8 hours long. However, when pasting in Disc 2's footage, it adds about 70 hours to the timeline. Every clip now has an incorrect duration after being pasted and they play, but only to the point that they normally should, after that duration point for each clip nothing plays, but no "blackness" is showing in the thumbnail, etc.

• All projects have the same aspect ratio (16:9) and I can't think of or determine what could possibly be causing Disc 2 to have this glaring duration error when the other identical disc projects are just fine.

Thank you very much in advance for any help, suggestions, tips, ideas, etc. and have a great day!

My Program Info:

My Computer Info:

You are saying copy/paste, PD has the ability to insert a saved project file into the current project. You might try that method. File > Insert Project. It inserts at the cursor position.

I do not have an answer, Just a suggestion that may solve the length problem.

Load Project 2 by itself in Powerdirector 15. What do you see?

If the times are correct, Save AS the project under a new name.

Try your new saved Project 2 in your combined projects.

It that does not fix the times, you may need to redo the Project 2, Start from the original files and do all of the edits over.

Maybe another editor will have a better suggestion.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2017 11:38

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JITF [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Spatial Incognito Joined: Jan 16, 2016 10:07 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much for your reply, I greatly appreciate you trying to help.

My results were, I opened up the 2nd project and it appears normal (the approximately 8 hours is there, as it should be). So, I used the "Save AS" and created a new file, which I then copied and pasted those videos into the new project file. Unfortunately, the same issue occurred with the timeline going to an outrageous 80-100 hours.

So, I then thought to try the reverse. Using the 2nd Project file as the basis and instead copy/pasting in Project 1 & 3. Strangely enough, the result was the opposite! The files from project 1 & 3 now become incredibly short as opposed to disc 2 becoming incredibly long! Haha...I have no idea what could have caused this.

I am hoping there may be a solution, but in the unfortunate situation that there isn't, what I'm doing is using a text document to annotate the correct duration times of each clip in Project 2. I will then copy/paste project 2 into the new project and manually trim the videos back to their originally correct and intended durations.

Thanks

Quote Good morning all,

My Program Info:

My Computer Info:

You are saying copy/paste, PD has the ability to insert a saved project file into the current project. You might try that method. File > Insert Project. It inserts at the cursor position.

I do not have an answer, Just a suggestion that may solve the length problem.

Load Project 2 by itself in Powerdirector 15. What do you see?

If the times are correct, Save AS the project under a new name.

Try your new saved Project 2 in your combined projects.

It that does not fix the times, you may need to redo the Project 2, Start from the original files and do all of the edits over.

Maybe another editor will have a better suggestion.
JITF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Problem Solved!

Your suggestion to use the "File > Insert Project" took care of the issue.

I'm not sure why Copy/Pasting worked for Disc 1 & 3 but had such weird results for Disc 2, but I will from now on only be using the aforementioned suggestion.

Thanks! smile
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you very much in advance for any help, suggestions, tips, ideas, etc. and have a great day!

Just read both of your posts. ??? Copy/Paste – It does not work for me when there are multiple tracks used. It is too easy to miss something. Doing a range copy would be much better.

Never tried or want to attempt to create a project of a single timeline from previous projects like what you are doing to create a 8 hour long BD. There is a 99 chapter limit on that. Multiple projects with up to 99 chapters each can be placed on the Create disc/Content/Add Project module. Would hate to navigate to the 98th chapter on a single project. This is where adding the previous projects make it so much easier. That is what most users would do.

Burn to folder only and check to see that all mistakes are taken care of before burning to a more expensive BDXL.

Let us know if this helps…

EDIT: Carl answered first while I was still typing. Glad that his suggestion worked for you. You can only have 99 chapters max on one timeline.
JITF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you very much in advance for any help, suggestions, tips, ideas, etc. and have a great day!

Just read both of your posts. ??? Copy/Paste – It does not work for me when there are multiple tracks used. It is too easy to miss something. Doing a range copy would be much better.

Never tried or want to attempt to create a project of a single timeline from previous projects like what you are doing to create a 8 hour long BD. There is a 99 chapter limit on that. Multiple projects with up to 99 chapters each can be placed on the Create disc/Content/Add Project module. Would hate to navigate to the 98th chapter on a single project. This is where adding the previous projects make it so much easier. That is what most users would do.

Burn to folder only and check to see that all mistakes are taken care of before burning to a more expensive BDXL.

Let us know if this helps…

EDIT: Carl answered first while I was still typing. Glad that his suggestion worked for you. You can only have 99 chapters max on one timeline.

Thanks for your help!

I am aware of the 99 chapters limit, but that it can be circumvented by creating a new workspace within a project and end up having it to where you can click "Chapters 1-99", "Chapters 100-198", etc on your disc's menu.

This project of mine is a chronological home video compilation. The main purpose is for archiving, but also for viewing. I do not expect myself or others to regularly "go through" 99+ chapters in the menu screen, but I am making that a possibility if wanted for my family. Otherwise, simply using the blu-ray player remote to skip to the next chapter will suffice perfectly fine.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi JITF -

I don't have a clue about the actual steps you're taking - now how the duration of certain parts is changing when you're combining projects.

What do you have in front of you? (forgetting about the recent projects that have been messed up) I mean the original projects.

Are they PDR projects, as in .pds files? You referred to them as Disc-1, 2, 3.

If they are actual projects (.pds files), forget about copy & paste.

1. Open project 1 & place the timeline marker at the end

2. Go to File > Insert Project & navigate to Project 2

3. Place the timeline marker at the end

4. Go to File > Insert Project & navigate to Project 3

5. Place the timeline marker at the end - what is the total duration?

If the steps above are followed, the combined duration should be exactly as you'd expect = 1+2+3

Could you post some helpful screenshots to clarify? I think the language/words might be causing confusion here.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!