Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Music auto fades during voice narration - does not mute by remains in background during naration
[Post New]
I have a video narration script for a video I am producing. When I am recording the voice narration I would like for the music to automatically reduce in volume then come back to full volume during pauses in my voice narration. I have observed this effect in documentaries. I don't want to have to manually reduce the music volume during my voice narration because the script is about 70 minutes long - this would be very time consuming. Is there a way for the music track to reduce in volume if it detects the voice track is active? Philip Anderson
Charlottesville, Virginia USA
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a video narration script for a video I am producing. When I am recording the voice narration I would like for the music to automatically reduce in volume then come back to full volume during pauses in my voice narration. I have observed this effect in documentaries. I don't want to have to manually reduce the music volume during my voice narration because the script is about 70 minutes long - this would be very time consuming. Is there a way for the music track to reduce in volume if it detects the voice track is active?
There is an audio editor that has that fuction built-in. search for 'Audacity'. The function is called Auto Duck.

Audacity is a free audio editor.

Powerdirector does not have that function, nor does WaveEditor or Audio Director. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote I have a video narration script for a video I am producing. When I am recording the voice narration I would like for the music to automatically reduce in volume then come back to full volume during pauses in my voice narration. I have observed this effect in documentaries. I don't want to have to manually reduce the music volume during my voice narration because the script is about 70 minutes long - this would be very time consuming. Is there a way for the music track to reduce in volume if it detects the voice track is active?
There is an audio editor that has that fuction built-in. search for 'Audacity'. The function is called Auto Duck.

Powerdirector does not have that function, nor does WaveEditor or Audio Director.

Thanks for the quick help Carl! I just downloaded Audacity and found the "Auto Duck" effect. Your reply message had some system info: Windows 7 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB,256GB SSD,1TB HD. Was this your recommendation for using Audacity?

I am about to purchase a Dell system with Windows 10 64-bit, 16 GB Ram, 1 TB hard disk, 4G AMD Radeon R7 M445 graphics. Sound good? I prefer Windows 7 but I have heard Windows 10 uses fewer operating resources freeing these for tasks. Philip Anderson
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]

Powerdirector does not have that function, nor does WaveEditor or Audio Director.

Thanks for the quick help Carl! I just downloaded Audacity and found the "Auto Duck" effect. Your reply message had some system info: Windows 7 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB,256GB SSD,1TB HD. Was this your recommendation for using Audacity?
It is my current computer. It is getting old, it is about 6 years old. It does pretty good with editing HD video. I do have Audacity on this computer. All works well. Audacity is not a demanding program, it will work well in just about any good computer, 32 bit Windows, at least 2 GB of Ram.

I am about to purchase a Dell system with Windows 10 64-bit, 16 GB Ram, 1 TB hard disk, 4G AMD Radeon R7 M445 graphics. Sound good? I prefer Windows 7 but I have heard Windows 10 uses fewer operating resources freeing these for tasks.
I am not the person to ask about Windows 10, I do not have Windows 10 on any of my computers. The one time I tried Windows 10, I went back to Windows 7. The last upgrade I did on my computer, was to install a 256 GB SSD drive. Great improvement on speed of boot up.

I also did a fresh clean install of Windows 7 and all of the programs that I normally use, when I installed the SSD drive. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]

It is my current computer. It is getting old, it is about 6 years old. It does pretty good with editing HD video. I do have Audacity on this computer. All works well. Audacity is not a demanding program, it will work well in just about any good computer, 32 bit Windows, at least 2 GB of Ram.

I am about to purchase a Dell system with Windows 10 64-bit, 16 GB Ram, 1 TB hard disk, 4G AMD Radeon R7 M445 graphics. Sound good? I prefer Windows 7 but I have heard Windows 10 uses fewer operating resources freeing these for tasks.
I am not the person to ask about Windows 10, I do not have Windows 10 on any of my computers. The one time I tried Windows 10, I went back to Windows 7. The last upgrade I did on my computer, was to install a 256 GB SSD drive. Great improvement on speed of boot up.

I also did a fresh clean install of Windows 7 and all of the programs that I normally use, when I installed the SSD drive.

thanks Carl. My wife got Windows 10 and we've been struggling with it ever since. I think I'll try it awhile on the new computer before transferring my work there. If it doesn't work out I'll load Windows 7 on it. Best Philip Anderson