Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Appear & Disappear Like A Ghost - I've produced a Video How-To Guide
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Some few years back I wrote a step-by-step guide to creating an effect of appearing and disappearing like a ghost. Well, I got busy and produced a how-to video on the subject. Actually I did two versions. One involved using transitions, the other used keyframes to adjust opacity where a still-frame of a background image fades to a degree as to make what's, or who's behind it appear with the background showing through him/her. The Keyframe version I'll provide a link to later but for now, I want to provide a link to the Transition version.

VETT - Appear & Disappear Like A Ghost If this link doesn't work, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz1o_eo98LQ

You'll get an idea of how I created the effect, based on how I described it some years ago.

Okay, I just tried the first link and it works, as I expect the other link will work as well, so you have the option of either link.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2017 12:07

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, now you've had a chance to see my first video on this subject(using transitions), here's the second video on the subject, I only needed to copy/paste the link into this panel so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CffBfZ2Ik8M

This version uses keyframes to control the level of opacity of a still-frame, taken of the background before I make my appearance, and allows that background to show through me, just like a real ghost(if a ghost can be considered real).

Got to admit though, I have not yet applied this method to a video I've shot, but I'm saving it up for a future video I'll be shooting in the next month or so. Combining the two ideas, yeah, that's a possibility I'll have to try for a future edition of my VETT editions.

VETT = Video Editing Tricks & Tips
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Okay, now you've had a chance to see my first video on this subject(using transitions), here's the second video on the subject, I only needed to copy/paste the link into this panel so here it is:

This version uses keyframes to control the level of opacity of a still-frame, taken of the background before I make my appearance, and allows that background to show through me, just like a real ghost(if a ghost can be considered real).

Got to admit though, I have not yet applied this method to a video I've shot, but I'm saving it up for a future video I'll be shooting in the next month or so. Combining the two ideas, yeah, that's a possibility I'll have to try for a future edition of my VETT editions.

Neil it can be even more effective if you use two video clips. E.g. Set up the camera on a tripod take the shot of your ghost then take another shot without moving the camera but minus the ghost. The second shot is used in place of your still picture. The fact that there is movement behind the ghost makes it even more convincing.

Regards

nigel
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Okay, now you've had a chance to see my first video on this subject(using transitions), here's the second video on the subject, I only needed to copy/paste the link into this panel so here it is:

Neil it can be even more effective if you use two video clips. E.g. Set up the camera on a tripod take the shot of your ghost then take another shot without moving the camera but minus the ghost. The second shot is used in place of your still picture. The fact that there is movement behind the ghost makes it even more convincing.

Regards

nigel

Yeah, I've seen a couple of attempts by others on YouTube, following your described method. Basically I took a still-frame of the background from before I entered the shot(yes, that's me in the video, wonder I didn't crack the lens), then superimposed the still-frame over the video(setting the still-frame to the same length as the video), then, using keyframes, dropped the opacity to 50% for the duration of the "piece-to-camera", then at the end, keyframed the opacity to return to 100%. Fairly straight-forward, really. By the way, Collie, did you look at the other version using transitions?

Curious: When I used am emoticon, I couldn't post this because a problem with HTTL, without the emoticon, this posted just fine. What give?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2017 21:10

glowx231 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 12:06 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a version by always funny Wm Huw

[link removed]

We try to keep the forum focused on PD and therefore don't encourage links to other software productions, which in any case can be easily found by alternative searches.

It's a fine line, but the forum could otherwise be inundated with links and lose some of the focus that makes it so valuable to members.

Thanks

PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 09. 2017 03:59

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Here is a version by always funny Wm Huw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0x-s-AKVJg
This is a Cyberlink-funded forum. Linking videos to other video production software is not encouraged, perhaps that is why your link fails me. I had to copy and search to actually find the video.

All are welcome, but it is a volunteer forum paid for by Cyberlink. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT