Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD5: Worth upgrading to?
colnrita [Avatar]
Newbie Location: darkest SW Australia Joined: Nov 30, 2006 11:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm very pleased to find this forum and share some experiences with Power Director - what a shame Support won't answer in the forum though, it would save everyone a lot of time. I have been using Power Director since Version 2.0, and upgraded to Power Director 5 from Power Director 3 early this year, mainly to take advantage of HD and 16:9 formats (being innately sceptical of all the other "Magic"). I immediately regretted the decision, as Version 5 seemed to have lost features of Version 3.
Not wishing to believe that this might be the case I contacted Cyberlink Support with regards to:

- PD5 having a much thinner manual than PD2 - seemed like a bad sign!
- Much fewer format options evidently available for production; especially streaming files, no multi-bandwidth formats at all.
- Files produced in wmv format have only 4 or 5 lurid colours.
- Chapters must be set prior to production so cannot be changed after.
- Only one video file can be burnt to each disk, so multi-file projects have to be strung together prior to production, and only one level of menus (chapter menus) is thereby evidently available.

Cyberlink sent me a long reply on how to address performance issues, but skirted all the capability issues, admitting only that there were "limitations" with Version 5 which could be "implemented in the next version of the software". They didn't address any of my specific criticisms, or acknowledge that these features had been in previous versions. I took this to mean that maybe they were planning to release a more "professional" version to compete with Premier and the like, however this doesn't seem to have happened. To their credit, I returned the disk and they returned my money; I am plodding along with Power Director 3 still, and am as happy with that as most in this forum appear to be with Power Director 5 (albeit with the seemingly pervasive picture/sound synch problems).

I would really like to hear from anyone who can tell me that PD5 is really the bee's knees (or what is) or that I overlooked any of the above features in my brief evaluation of it. Power Director has always come out well in comparison to other software in the same part of the market; why would Cyberlink dumb it down to a point where it risks being overtaken by the next version of Windows Movie Maker and a dozen other packages already out there?

Cheers.
Gary [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2006 08:09 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I'd be interested in a response from Cyberlink regarding your posting as I just plunked down my credit card to get the PD 5 premium. I've been using Pinnacle's software but nothing but issues with it mainly time to load the software the endless task of getting a menu that I liked. I got the PD 5 trial version as I got PD with a new JVC digital camcorder and after using the PD trial version it's ease of editing, music addition, affects, I took the plunge to get the full PD 5 version.
colnrita [Avatar]
Newbie Location: darkest SW Australia Joined: Nov 30, 2006 11:03 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Gary - thanks for your comments & interest. A month has gone by and no response from Cyberlink of course, but a suggestion in another thread that you could use a decent authoring program like PP4 with PD5 if you really wanted all the features.
Now that is interesting because I did almost exactly that a couple of years ago (PP3 with PD3) only to be told by Cyberlink when I experienced all sorts of problems that the two programs were incompatible. I can't understand why they won't put together a decent integrated package or at least tell people what goes with what if you want a little bit more.
I'm still looking...
Cheers.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Gary - thanks for your comments & interest. A month has gone by and no response from Cyberlink of course, but a suggestion in another thread that you could use a decent authoring program like PP4 with PD5 if you really wanted all the features.
Now that is interesting because I did almost exactly that a couple of years ago (PP3 with PD3) only to be told by Cyberlink when I experienced all sorts of problems that the two programs were incompatible. I can't understand why they won't put together a decent integrated package or at least tell people what goes with what if you want a little bit more.
I'm still looking...
Cheers.

Hi Colin,
Thank you for your input. I have recently posted an answer to one of Gary's postings which I think you should read...you might find it interesting. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/612.page

PowerDirector 5 Premium is pretty darn good - try it out.

Video editing software is constantly improving and PowerDirector has advanced just like a lot of other software. To keep up to date...we all have to look to upgrade...standing still isn't an option or you get left behind.

The user guide is available as a PDF file. I for one prefer not to look at a user guide and jump straight in and get on with it... I consider I'm saving part of a tree by NOT having a printed user guide!

Please take the time to master PowerDirector 5 premium it has an easy learning curve.

Dafydd
JENNIFER [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Southern California Joined: Jan 03, 2007 23:58 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
i am one step away from upgrading to 5 , but want to upgrade and pay 20 bucks less than buy the full version alone, but will the upgrade keep the issues i have with not having any sound with my files???? the 4.0 will not allow me to hear my video's...a dolby digital issue.....I am afraid to waste my money again, i just bought 4.0 2 weeks ago. having 4 kids is similar to be
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: i am one step away from upgrading to 5 , but want to upgrade and pay 20 bucks less than buy the full version alone, but will the upgrade keep the issues i have with not having any sound with my files???? the 4.0 will not allow me to hear my video's...a dolby digital issue.....I am afraid to waste my money again, i just bought 4.0 2 weeks ago.

Hi Jennifer,

I don't have the JVC camera.... (I've read your other posting.)

I don't know why you purchased version 4.0 of PowerDirector.... when the latest is PowerDirector 5 Premium! The option to go for an upgrade or full version is entirely yours. If I was to make a choice I would opt for the full version every time.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2007 03:34

Creager [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2006 06:10 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Jennifer,

If you can stand to wait until I get a reply from support you should. I promise I will post here with the results.

I have full retail PD 5 and have the audio problem. I suspect the answer is going to be I have to upgrade to PD5 Premium *sigh* (I bought PD5 retail a couple of weeks ago!)

David
Creager [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2006 06:10 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Current State is they are saying you need PD5 Premium *sigh*

I have responded, but I am not hopeful. See my topic on Dolby Digital Problem