Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Moving video clips and other issues.
Motoxxx [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2008 23:26 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
OK so for most people this may not be a big deal but for me it is a really big deal:

HOW CAN I MOVE VIDEO ON THE TIME LINE AND NOT HAVE IT SNAP BACK TO THE END OF THE PREVIOUS CLIP?

I can move titles, effects, audio clips etc on the time line but I can't move the video. I would love to be able to slide a video clip over on the time line and insert other clips or see more accurately exactly what is happening and where edits can be made.

Also, is there any way to disable the curser so that each time I click on something that the curser doesn't move to right on top of what I am doing?

Is there anyway I can use a "Snap point" to have an audio clip and a video clip, or effect all go to the exact same start point or do I have to slide each one manually and try to line them up.

Just as an FYI, I have extensive non linear editing experience (commercial recording studio owner) and have done many video projects as well. All of the audio programs I use have these types of features and I cannot seem to find them on this program.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 30. 2008 02:42

Affordable Medical Insurance
Discount Dental Plan
Washington Health Insurance
Homeowner Insurance Quotes
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Motoxxx,

The video time line needs to be continuous. So if you want to move a video clip and don't want it to snap to the end of the previous clip something needs to occupy that space in the timeline, another video, pictures, or use a color board.

You can zoom in on the time line if that will help you see your edits. Shortcut keys, Shift +, and Shift -.

Jeff
Motoxxx [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2008 23:26 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I understand that is does need to be continuous but since you are indeed editing, just like all of my other audio programs, or Adobe Premiere, it would be useful if you could disable the snap function on the video clips. I am really surprised that others with experience have not brought this up. I mean you can move everything else so why not the video too?

I know that I can zoom in. I guess the point I was trying to make is that if I have a particular piece of video that needs to be at an exact part of the timeline to either sync with a music soundtrack, or some other event, I cannot place that piece of video there and then build the other portions of the video around that. The movie must be made from start to finish with no gaps. Very limiting to the editing process.
Affordable Medical Insurance
Discount Dental Plan
Washington Health Insurance
Homeowner Insurance Quotes
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Motoxxx,

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you. But if you indeed wanted to build a production from the middle out, you could disregard the Master Video Track all together, and just use the PIP tracks to build your project. You could put your music in one of the audio tracks, and then put your video clips in the PIP tracks anywhere you want, with no “snap to”.

However, I was just wondering. If you had a piece of music placed in an audio track and locked, and you wanted a specific video clip to come in at say... 00:12:17, and you wanted to place that clip first as that is the manner you like to do your work flow. Couldn’t you just put a 00:12:16 black color board in the master video track, followed by your clip? And then when you’ve decided on the video clip or image that should precede the first one you placed, simply replace the color board with this new chosen clip? Or put it in a PIP prior to the first clip placed?

Again, I may be misunderstanding, but just offering some thoughts for what it’s worth.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 01. 2009 01:42

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Many NLE's will not let you create a "blank" place on the video timeline, this is because if you could this begs for serious synch issues.

Two ways you can do what you want. If the video you want to "drop in" must synch up with a specific music beat, magnify the timeline until you can place the timeline marker or "scrubber" right on that specific spot after you "mark" the video clip as if you were going to trim it. Lock the music or audio track so it cannot move and split the video clip at the exact "insert" point.

Now insert the desired video clip and trim it as desired.

A second way is to use a PIP track to drop the inserted video clip in place. Expand the clip on that PIP track until it covers the original image and trim to fit so it does what you want (and mute it's audio). Your audio or music track is not disturbed on the main video track.

Hope this helps.
Brianne
Newbie Location: Seattle, Washington Joined: Mar 14, 2009 12:36 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Oh good. I thought I would be the only one to bring up this issue. With my previous experience with Final Cut Pro, because my classes used Macs, I assumed PD7 would do the same, having the option of NOT using the "sticky" function. It doesn't. And many times I've been so frustrated because I've had to measure how long certain clips are and maintain where I want my clips to remain. I cannot lock them like I could in FCP. And I could not stretch them to meet a certain timeslot like in FCP.

I'm really saddened that I've had to create loopholes to achieve what I've done in the past with other programs. For instance, I've just discovered PiP is used for timelines...but I still haven't found a function to lock my clips in place.

When creating music videos, timing is key, and I cannot afford wasting precious minutes trying to get my video/audio sync right. Most editors piece their "puzzles" together by building a beginning and end, THEN the middle. With this program, I've had to structure my work as if I already know what it'll look like in a final draft. No editor truly knows unless their omniscient, therefore linear is out of the question. And that's what this program deals with.

And anybody who's done editing that has been through "sync" issues before can fix it just fine. I just want the freedom to do so, make mistakes, instead of a program that tells me "no, this is 'easier' for you."

Can there be a patch or some upgrade for this program so we "non-linear" editors can work for effeciently?

I prefer not to use the PiP track for my video clips, because then it just goes into that picture edit feature and I'd have to resize my clips to fit the screen.

Thank you, Motoxxx for bringing this up. Glad I found this topic before I posted a repeat.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 21. 2009 15:06

iGame (+22 Charisma)