Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
General Editing Question? PD7 Delux v 2227c
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
I have converted some old VHS camcorder footage to digital via TV hard drive recorder. (connected VHS video player to HDD recorder; recorded onto hard drive; tested playback - OK; burnt onto DVD then imported onto computer and edited / cleaned up in PD7)

Burnt back onto DVD as completed project; play back on same TV; footage now noticeably worse (looks like an interlacing problem???) as the edges of 'straight' things get broken up; appears worse when the camera was panning across; settles down when objects moving across the camera.

I have tried altering the interlacing properties for the footage; no success

Any suggestions as to what this could be / ways round it??

(I have completed the editing of several hours of this footage so anything that did not involve starting again would be great!!! )

It looks OK on computer but suspect this is just because the image size is not big; so problem does not show up. Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Walker [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 19, 2008 18:57 Messages: 97 Offline
[Post New]

I'd assume you burned this as a DVD HQ?

I've seen this before. VHS tape only has a resolution (max) of 300x480. A HQ DVD has a resolution of 720x480. That's about like saying for every 1 pixel of video an encoder has to make up 3 other pixels (guess). I'm guessing what you're talking about is aliasing caused by the encoding to a higher resolution.

The one time I really had this problem I kind of worked around it by placing the video on a pip track at a smaller size and putting a frame around it.

Maybe the problem is from the original capture method. I just broke down a couple of years ago and bought a $250 Canopus external firewire capture device.

Good Luck.
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Hi; thanks for that; pointed me in the right direction!!

Found get an acceptable result if produce the footage as HQ DivX; then putting it in the PIP track with border in next PIP track; to reduce the size as you suggested.

I did experiment with producing as MPEG 2 with the intention of putting it on the PIP track but this was noticeably worse; with the aliasing visible even on computer.

Thanks again

Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)