Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Copying Hi8 to HDD for editing in PD 15, challenges.
Readyrob1957
Newbie Location: San Diego, CA Joined: Dec 09, 2016 12:17 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to this forum, I have now accomplished the following:

1) Inserted an IEEE 1394 card into my computer thanks to a forum member's recommendation.

2) I bought the correct IEEE cable and connnects perfectly to camera (Sony DCR-TRV730) and my PC computer.

3) PowerDirector 15 recognizes the camera and tries to "capture" it -- but here is where I am stuck:

When I use PD 15 to capture, I see the image and the video plays and records but it will record for only about 3 seconds and it stops.

However, when I disconnect the firewire cable from the camera, the video plays perfectly clear and does not stop in the camera itself.

SoNic67 wrote: "To copy the files via Firewire (all you need is just a simple copy, not a "capture") you can use a very simple program: http://windv.mourek.cz/. However when I tried to utilize the software it would not work with my computer system "Windows 10." Can someone recommend a good "free" software I can utilize to "copy" my Hi8 tapes onto my HDD using Windows 10? I realize I am using Sony Hi-8 tape technology that is over 20 years old, but I am trying to get my brother's wedding reedited for him for his 20 year anniversary and it is becoming very challenging.

Once "copied" I plan to edit the video in PD 15. Some youtubes provided insight into upscaling the video up to 720p from Hi8, that would be a bonus if anyone knows how to do that.

Thanks so much and Happy 2017.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2017 00:06

"I believe everything's gonna be alright."
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Readyrob1957:

I am using PD14 now (have been using PD since PD9). I have never had much luck trying to capture analogue video (VHS/Hi using PD. I purchased separate software and a "dongle" years ago (PD9) to convert the VHS/Hi8 tapes to digital .mp3 format, and then I import those captured .mp3 files to PD and edit them from there and burn to DVD. I have done hundreds of tapes successfully that way.

Perhaps one of the other pros can help you with your issue, without the expense of purchasing another software/hardware product (the software comes with the hardware "dongle").

Forum rules prohibit advertising competitor's products (it does have rudimentary video editing features). If you want to know what I use, then please send me a private message.

Good luck and have a great day. I think that your gift to your brother (and his wife) is a great idea. Well done!

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
GregInSparta [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sparta, Michigan Joined: Dec 19, 2010 00:18 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks to this forum, I have now accomplished the following:

1) Inserted an IEEE 1394 card into my computer thanks to a forum member's recommendation.

2) I bought the correct IEEE cable and connnects perfectly to camera (Sony DCR-TRV730) and my PC computer.

3) PowerDirector 15 recognizes the camera and tries to "capture" it -- but here is where I am stuck:

When I use PD 15 to capture, I see the image and the video plays and records but it will record for only about 3 seconds and it stops.

However, when I disconnect the firewire cable from the camera, the video plays perfectly clear and does not stop in the camera itself.

SoNic67 wrote: "To copy the files via Firewire (all you need is just a simple copy, not a "capture") you can use a very simple program: http://windv.mourek.cz/. However when I tried to utilize the software it would not work with my computer system "Windows 10." Can someone recommend a good "free" software I can utilize to "copy" my Hi8 tapes onto my HDD using Windows 10? I realize I am using Sony Hi-8 tape technology that is over 20 years old, but I am trying to get my brother's wedding reedited for him for his 20 year anniversary and it is becoming very challenging.

Once "copied" I plan to edit the video in PD 15. Some youtubes provided insight into upscaling the video up to 720p from Hi8, that would be a bonus if anyone knows how to do that.

I only had success capturing video to my computer with a 1394 card when my source was Digital8. My first camcorder was a Sony that recorded in Digital8. It could play the Hi8 tapes, but I could not get it off the camcorder through the 1394 card.

My father-in-law had a GoVideo VHS/DVD recorder. He used it to copy video tapes to DVDs. It would also take source through the composite input jacks. So I hooked up my camcorder to the GoVideo, played the Hi8 tape, and then recorded it on to a DVD RW disk. I would then take the DVD to my computer and rip the video onto my computer with PD. I also did this with my dad's old VHS tapes, since the VHS player was built into the GO Video unit.

You can find a DVD recorder by searching "GO Video DVD Recorder" on Ebay. GregInSparta
---------------------------------
i5 6600K, 16GB RAM, 480Gb SSD, 3Tb & 4Tb HDD, Win10 Pro
Readyrob1957
Newbie Location: San Diego, CA Joined: Dec 09, 2016 12:17 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I found some Sony software to capture the Hi8 content but have to convert it from AVI to MP4 and then edit in PD 15. I would have thought this would be much easier than it is. I wish there was a way to capture/copy from the Sony camera Hi8 tape directly to my HDD in a format that PD 15 could add to its timeline without conversion.

I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Thanks to this forum, I have now accomplished the following:

I only had success capturing video to my computer with a 1394 card when my source was Digital8. My first camcorder was a Sony that recorded in Digital8. It could play the Hi8 tapes, but I could not get it off the camcorder through the 1394 card.

My father-in-law had a GoVideo VHS/DVD recorder. He used it to copy video tapes to DVDs. It would also take source through the composite input jacks. So I hooked up my camcorder to the GoVideo, played the Hi8 tape, and then recorded it on to a DVD RW disk. I would then take the DVD to my computer and rip the video onto my computer with PD. I also did this with my dad's old VHS tapes, since the VHS player was built into the GO Video unit.

You can find a DVD recorder by searching "GO Video DVD Recorder" on Ebay.
"I believe everything's gonna be alright."