Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Music track copyright
[Post New]
I downloaded a music track from YouTube and used it as a backing track for my video containing lots of photos of children's faces.

I then uploaded it to a Facebook page and Facebook said "No, no, no - Copyright might be owned by someone else"

"Someone else" I thought. My mind raced through lots of words that cannot be printed here. I asked them who is this "someone else"? They replied that I should go to their intellectual property page - https://www.facebook.com/help/intellectual_property

The music is piano music played by a famous pianist who died in 1989.

The music was written by a composer who died in 1827.

The music is on YouTube but can't be used by me in a video uploaded to Facebook.

There are millions of tunes on YouTube that can all be downloaded.

Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation why Facebook refuses to allow my video to be published please?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 20. 2016 20:29

Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Andres.R
Senior Member Location: Tartu, Estonia Joined: Dec 31, 2009 02:26 Messages: 263 Offline
[Post New]

Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation why Facebook refuses to allow my video to be published please?

You need to ask it from Zuckerberg no one system is perfect...

I have had the same problem and only solution is to upload video to youtube and share YT link in FB

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 25. 2016 13:31

PowerDirector 17. Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz); Hard Disk: SSD 250Gb + SSD 500GB.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AndresRootsi
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,

Most online "streamers" have auto blocks on "known" copyrighted music etc. It's a blanket approach that is often quite cumbersome and a bit of a blunt instrument.

Here's a quote from one fb help community member

"Here's the basic answer. Unless the music is free use or you own the copyright, you're not allowed to post it online without permission from the owner. Facebook doesn't know if you have the rights, so they automatically remove videos with audio content to be compliant with copyright law.What they also do, which gives them a legal out, is allow you to appeal. In doing that, you have stated that you own the copyright (whether you do or not) and they are indemnified under the rules of the Digital Millennium Copyright act. They then restore the video.In my case, I had a video with an old recording (vintage 1920s) of a folk song that was written in the 1830s and was fair use. I got it from the Smithsonian collection. Facebook didn't know what it was and still removed it. I appealed, and it was restored. I knew I was on safe legal ground, but interestingly, they didn't ask if it was fair use. Only if I was the copyright holder which was not the only option for using the video music legally speaking."

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=733045270052459

Cheers

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
glowx231 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 12:06 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Two ways to deal with this problem:

1) Open audio clip in Audacity or any sound editor and edit off the first 5 or so seconds of music, then render

2) Open clip in Audacity, then either increase or decrease speed of full clip by ~ 5%, then render