Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Masking or Green Screen ?
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
I just thought you may be interested to see that it is possible to produce several clips by using a green screen FX, with just ColorDirector.

After a disscussion started in another thread changing color of a rope and garbage matt. The discussion involved the possible use of a traveling matt and I suggested the possible use of masking using the PiP Designer. I found some sample video clips that were shot by Hit Film where just 3 Star Wars troopers used. By shooting the same scene several times and moving the actors to a different position for each shot and with the use of masking, they were able to fill the scene with extra troopers!

I've found that making multiple masks in PowerDirector is a long winded process and involved the use of a third party graphics program! So, what if you could make masks with in ColourDirector ? There is very little movement in the video clips I've used, so I was able to make the masks very quickly.

But what colour to use, to make the mask work? I tried using green and black, but black and white tones dominate in all the video clips used so I thought I'd settle for using green.

Setting up the Green Screen FX

Green Screen

What I did find was that after making your selection then reversing the selction, I used the Temperature and Tint sliders to make the selected area a green colour. Next the Vibrance was increased to 100% and I increased the Exposure to 1.0 to lighten the very dark areas. After producing the clip I then used the Chroma Key tool in PiP Designer. You need to play around with the settings to make it work!

My short video....

The video contains all the clips I used.
As it was just play, I created the selection area very quickly but it still worked ( in a fashion! ) I ended up with 5 video clips in the green screened segment.

I really must point out that these clips are from a Hit Film project that are free to download https://youtu.be/qVXGv3ku_1Q

Hope it has inspired you to trysoething different

Cheers
[Thumb - PiP 2.jpg]
 Filename
PiP 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Green Screen FX
 Filesize
109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
276 time(s)
[Thumb - PiP 1.jpg]
 Filename
PiP 1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Setting up the Green Screen FX
 Filesize
106 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
256 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Dec 20. 2016 18:01

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.