Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capture from MiniDV camcorder
[Post New]
I have the IEEE 1394 PCIe card installed, Device Manager tells me it's working properly, but I can't begin a capture.
Attached is a screen shot of my capture screen.
Had a problem a couple days ago with capture from analog VHS and your reply got me going straightaway.

Thanks, Tom

Also a screenshot of my capture preferences.
[Thumb - screenshot.jpg]
 Filename
screenshot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
122 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
34 time(s)
[Thumb - screenpref.jpg]
 Filename
screenpref.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
69 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
29 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2016 15:43

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tom, It is confusing isn't it.

To capture from your DV camcorder via IEEE card, you must select to use the "capture from DV" icon = the first one on the left. If you select that do you have that op0tion? Maske sure your camcorder is plugged in and on but paused. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The screenshot show that the firewire connections are not active. There are many things that can cause this. Some brands of camcorder will not have an active ieee port if used on battery power. It must be connected to the power adapter. The chipset in the firewire adapter is important. Some works better than others. Try this:

1. Connect the ieee cable to the camcorder and pc. Power on the camcorder in the vcr mode. You should see DV in or DV out on the viewfinder display depending on how you set the menu in the camcorder. You may have to enable those functions in the camcorder.

2. After you correctly set the camcorder then the DV capture in PD14 will show the lighted DV camcorder button on the top left of the screen in which you can click to enable it.

3. If the above did not work then you need to determine the ieee chipset which may show in device manager. One fast way to get it going is to leave everything as is all connected and powered up and then reboot the computer.

4. Open PD14 and check to see if the firewire is active.

If you still can’t get it going then review how you connected everthing. The camcorder connector could be damaged and need repair. See this recent post: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50554.page for help.

Let us know how it turns out.
[Post New]
Quote Hi Tom, It is confusing isn't it.

To capture from your DV camcorder via IEEE card, you must select to use the "capture from DV" icon = the first one on the left. If you select that do you have that op0tion? Maske sure your camcorder is plugged in and on but paused.

Thanks very much. What you told me works. I don't know why, but I had not seen the icon in the top left side of the screen. Running fine now.

Tom Wright
agss241
San Angelo, Texas
[Post New]
Quote The screenshot show that the firewire connections are not active. There are many things that can cause this. Some brands of camcorder will not have an active ieee port if used on battery power. It must be connected to the power adapter. The chipset in the firewire adapter is important. Some works better than others. Try this:

1. Connect the ieee cable to the camcorder and pc. Power on the camcorder in the vcr mode. You should see DV in or DV out on the viewfinder display depending on how you set the menu in the camcorder. You may have to enable those functions in the camcorder.

2. After you correctly set the camcorder then the DV capture in PD14 will show the lighted DV camcorder button on the top left of the screen in which you can click to enable it.

3. If the above did not work then you need to determine the ieee chipset which may show in device manager. One fast way to get it going is to leave everything as is all connected and powered up and then reboot the computer.

4. Open PD14 and check to see if the firewire is active.

If you still can’t get it going then review how you connected everthing. The camcorder connector could be damaged and need repair. See this recent post: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50554.page for help.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks very much for the advice. I think the firewire board may not have been working properly before even though Device Manager said it was.
At any rate, I have it working OK now.

Tom Wright
agss241
San Angelo, Texas