Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capture issues
Lanciae [Avatar]
Newbie Location: British Columbia, Canada Joined: Feb 12, 2014 15:46 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Since I have downloaded Power Dir. 15 I have been unable to use capture to convert my the VSH tapes to disk. In order to update my drivers I got a new video capture device (V.TOP). Everything works fine until I press the record button at which times a Power Director box pops up saying that"movie is copyright. Recording is prohibited." These are home videos that I did about 15 years ago. Is there some way I can deal with this issue? Lanciae
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See this review of the V.TOP : http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/peripherals/best-vhs-to-dvd-converters/v-top-review/ . The Arcsoft software suppied works well in doing the capture. You can then import the captured files into PD15 for editing.

If this does not work out for you then see this recent post: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50468.page . garioch7 should be able to help you select the right device.

Let us know if the problem is solved.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Lanciae:

I have replied to your private message.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I've been intrigued by the problems some folk have in capturing because, for whatever reasons, I generally have no issues capturing, other than variations in quality, from old tapes and the limitations of old vhs players, tracking etc. I do a few from time to time for personal use and also archive some tapes for a museum where I do volunteer work.

I can only say this. I am currently using an EasierCap usb dongle from ebay - cost half nothing. I use an old really cheap supermarket own brand vhs, although I have used others - equally old and of unknown history, from the museum store. I have also used camcorder to dongle captures on a couple of occasions.

My system is not cutting edge but OK :

AMD Phenom II X6 @2.80GHz, 8Gb RAM (used to be 12 but had a problem with 2 sticks so...) Win 10 64 bit, 5 internal drives, 7USB external drives. PD15 2309

I just push in the tape, open up capture, switch on and it just works.

I've ripped pre 2001 vhs tapes, tapes that are almost unreadable (they remain almost unwatcheable, lol), professional cine to vhs conversions and commercial tapes for archiving.

I've definitiely had problems with quality and colour, rarely with audio but never a copyright issue.

However, I do wind on and rewind tapes a couple of times in the player to centre everything up, I make sure tapes are at ambient room temperature and not damp, I clean the VHS heads regularly and I play with the tracking if the tracking adjustment is present.

I stress the quality of the capture is not improved from the tape to PD but it really isn't noticeably worse either.

So, for what it's worth..............?

Cheers

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.