Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Reinstalling PDR - again :(
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Once again, I had to reset a Windows 10 PC... Both my PC and labtop cry The anniversary update had made the PC unstable with repeated 'blue screen' and update on the labtop continued to fail. yell The problems were so big that I had to send both to the 'hospital'.

Perhaps my questions are trivial, but I want to avoid installing more than necessary but also I want to have all the things I had previously. Therefore first some facts.

I have over the years had (at least) PowerDirector 9, 11, 13 Ultra64 and 14 Ultimate.
I have backups of,
- SmartSound - FullSpectrum22k.
- C:\Documents\Cyberlink\... so I have at least the texts I've made in PDR 13 + 14.
- Program Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector11 + 13 + 14
- Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\AudioDirector5 + Templates (PDR CP 11 + 13, Creative Design Pack)
- all the mentioned PDR installation files - program and content packs and most of extra programs that came separate together with theese PDR versions.

Together with:

PDR 9 Ultra64: ContentPack_VDE.... + MediaEspresso 6.5

PDR 11 Ultra64: ContentPack_E and _P + Power2Go8 Deluxe

PDR 13 Ultra64: ContentPack_E and _P + AudioDirector 5 Ultra

PDR 14 Ultimate: ContentPack_E and _P + adorage-vol1 + vitascene-2 + Wedding_Pack + Holiday_Pack

But for some programs I have license code can not I find as separate installation files - it is because they are embedded in a PDR version?

They are:
Power2Go9 + PhotoDirector 5 Deluxe + PhotoDirector 7 Ultra + PowerDirector Mobile

In the document where I keep Name of progeams and license code I also hav names of some CL programs that don't need license code eg.
LabelPrint 2.5 Standard + PhotoNow 1.1 + PowerDVD 10 + PhotoDirector 3 (recieved as a gift for something, more than once) +
Power2Go 6.1 LEP

The questions.

How much of all that I have should I install - and in what order so that I can get all Effects, PiPs, Particle, Titles and Transitions from all versions?

Is there possibly something I just can copy from saved folders?

I have a SSD and don't want to install more than necessary on this - will I run into any problems if I install PDR on an internal disk other than the C:-drive?

Cheers - Anja PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The questions.

How much of all that I have should I install - and in what order so that I can get all Effects, PiPs, Particle, Titles and Transitions from all versions?

I have a SSD and don't want to install more than necessary on this - will I run into any problems if I install PDR on an internal disk other than the C:-drive?

Cheers - Anja

Sorry to hear of your windows 10 problems on both of your pc’s. I really don’t remember how old your pc’s were. I am sure that the professionals at the hospital will get it going once more. It would be necessary to install all the powerdirector versions from 9 through 14 to have all the newblue effects that was available in the earlier versions to be available in PD14 to use. They all don’t need to be installed on the ssd for the newblue effects to be available in PD14.

Unfortunately older software like PD9 may refuse to install in win 10 and you have to override it. I find that none of the Cyberlink software need to be installed on the ssd. Parts of them will install on the drive c anyway. The time saving to load the majority of cyberlink programs installed on the hard drive rarely used anyway is only a few seconds longer.

I do recall on this forum that a user obtained a newer oem version of PD9 that installed and worked on his win 10 computer for capture.

After installation of all the PD9 through PD14 you can then start uninstalling PD9 through PD13 if you want but do not uninstall the newblue packs they left behind. You may want to use them in PD14.

You should keep PD9 in my opinion as it has mpeg-1 produce not available in PD14 and PD14 created menus works in PD9 but not vice versa. Don't want to risk win 10 problems as there seem to be too many of them on your pc's already.

Maybe you should just buy a new computer built with win 10 so you don’t have the same problems again. Just Kidding...Would like win 10 users to try to help here.

Experienced win 10 users please help and give your opinion on what to do.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2016 13:34

Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The questions.

Cheers - Anja

Quote Sorry to hear of your windows 10 problems on both of your pc’s. I really don’t remember how old your pc’s were. I am sure that the professionals at the hospital will get it going once more.

Hi Tomasc, thanks for your answer.
Both computers are 1½ years old - PC bought with win7 and labtop with win8.1 (terrible os, but could not get it with win7 without great additional cost).
Even though I tried to reset several times without windows having to save anything (a true pure reset), it did not solve the problems.
On both, the problems started associated with the anniversary update. The technician told me it was software error and he installed win10 from a media (CD) from MS. Now both are running Version 1607 build 14393.447 - with no problems, yet smile but I have also installed only Norton, Office and ACDSee to now.

Quote It would be necessary to install all the powerdirector versions from 9 through 14 to have all the newblue effects that was available in the earlier versions to be available in PD14 to use.

Hard work frown I suppose I don't have to install all the patches as well?

And how about all the Content Packs?

What will happen if I install PDR9 + CP then PDR14 and the CP's from 11, 13 +14 in that order?

Quote They all don’t need to be installed on the ssd for the newblue effects to be available in PD14.
Good news laughing It was also my expectation.
I had previously PDR9 to 13 on a hard disk and only PDR14 on SSD - It worked ok.
Quote Unfortunately older software like PD9 may refuse to install in win 10 and you have to override it. I find that none of the Cyberlink software need to be installed on the ssd. Parts of them will install on the drive c anyway. The time saving to load the majority of cyberlink programs installed on the hard drive rarely used anyway is only a few seconds longer.

I do recall on this forum that a user obtained a newer oem version of PD9 that installed and worked on his win 10 computer for capture.

I can not remember if I tried to install PDR9 on Win10.
I don't have a oem version of any PDR not even of PDR10 witch came with the labtop.

Quote After installation of all the PD9 through PD14 you can then start uninstalling PD9 through PD13 if you want but do not uninstall the newblue packs they left behind. You may want to use them in PD14.

You should keep PD9 in my opinion as it has mpeg-1 produce not available in PD14 and PD14 created menus works in PD9 but not vice versa. Don't want to risk win 10 problems as there seem to be too many of them on your pc's already.

undecided This is a hard one - How to uninstall only a part of PDR?

If I use Revo Uninstaller I think it will uninstall and erase everything connected to the program.
Newblue is not the only thing worth retaining - lot of Titles used on older unfinished projects.

Oh, just recall an older post about Packed Project Materials ... (post 46294) where the conclusion is that neither the PD13 and PD14 are backward compatible when it comes to packed projects containing animated titles (titles without animation is ok), PiP and Particles. Could it mean that I need to have / keep all old PDR versions?

Is there a way (preferably an uncomplicated) to convert older projects PDR14 - without loss of templates, as mentioned above?

Quote Maybe you should just buy a new computer built with win 10 so you don’t have the same problems again. Just Kidding...Would like win 10 users to try to help here.
Very funny, my husband also said: Buy a new one. After all it was cheaper to send them to hospital.

Quote Experienced win 10 users please help and give your opinion on what to do.

I hope there will be no need for Experienced win 10 users - Now that PCs seems to run ok with Win10, it is only a matter of getting PDR to have the, for me, necessary functions and templates without having too much installed.

With all the quotation, the post has almost unmanageable - sorry.
Tomasc, Hope anyway you can find the questions and answer them.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers - Anja PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
We don’t know what they did to your pc’s in the hospital. I don’t know if they did a full reset which will wipe out everything previously installed leaving only win 10. This is why a more experienced win 10 user on this forum need to answer this question. As an alternative you can contact cyberlink support and reference this post. The individual you get may know the answer.

It may be too late now but your installed menus, titles, etc. from the DZ are located in the c:\users\public\cyberlink folder. All these are available for use in PD9 through PD14. Hoped you have a backup of this copied somewhere.

The essentials and premium contents packs installed with each version of PD are not used in any other versions of PD. Uninstalling a particular previous version of PD does not uninstall those particular contents associated with that particular version. You must uninstall them separately.

Those Newblue effects installed with older versions of PD are usable in the newer versions of PD. I have no experience copying them from a backup to see if it will work. I only know that they need to be activated with each correct PD version install.

You will find all this information in the control panel/Uninstal a program. Good luck! now that you have your pc back. laughingsealedsmile

Let us know if everything turn out okay.
[Post New]
Yay Thank You!!! I had checked the PD15 folders in Program Files/Files(86)/Data, Appdata, etc....
Thanks to you, I was able to transfer 2 YEARS of downloaded Titles/Transitions/Effects, etc! Mucho Grass!! Marco* Marc* the Arcturian
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOr9YYK3Ki0090A20ywbJ8Q