Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Only one computer!!!
Nykyta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2016 02:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi I didn't expect this from those stupid guys at cyberlink! Just to inform all people who have doubts for power director 15 or other cybershit software that the license is only for one computer. This is the reply I got from those guys for my question. Should have considered this before buying. Now I am in tears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question:Hello, I have a problem. At my home I have three computers. I bought a single license for Power Director 15 and AudioDirector 7, during your black friday sales for 69.90 euros.The activation and Sr number are for power director. Can I use it on three computers? I promise I am the only user, and I own those computers.

Replyear Nykyta,Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.I understand you want to know if you can use your PowerDirector 15 Ultra in your 3 different computers.In regards to your concern, I would like to inform that as per CyberLink one license key can be installed on one computer only. If you wish to install on more than one computer you need to purchase each license key for each computer.Use the below mentioned link to get back for further queries:https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink products.Thank You and Best RegardsDeepakCyberLink Technical Support

Something else: What will happen if I enter the same product key on another computer?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2016 03:21

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Nykyta:

Welcome to the Cyberlink PD15 Forum. We are just ordinary users like yourself and we have no control over Cyberlink licensing. It has always been my understanding that their policy is one licence, one computer. I have no issue with that.

If you are unhappy, you can apply for a refund within 30 days of purchase.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You can purchase multiple licenses!

http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/volume-license/enu/index.jsp Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

josephine123
Newbie Location: Los Angeles Joined: Dec 02, 2016 06:02 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Totally agree with you!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Also remember that most companies limti the number of installs for a program. The number is usually high but if you are having issues with the program and have it on multip0le computers, you could reach the limits relatively easy. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]

Minimum Order Quantity of 10 units

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2016 19:00

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]

Minimum Order Quantity of 10 units
That is correct!

The other way is to buy multiple full versions of the software, which may be more expensive.

Upgrade price cannot be used in the situation of multiple computers. Upgrade always requires a previous PowerDirector on the computer.

With multiple Licensees, you only pay for one installable software package which you use to install on multiple computers. The license fee should be less than purchasing many full versions of the software.

So there is a minimum of 10 licenses, but that may cost less than say 5 full versions with single computer license of the software.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2016 08:52

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
This is trolling. EVERY software that we buy is, unless otherwise specified, for ONE computer.

Probably Nykyta is form a country not very used with computer software licensing, but in the rest of the world licenses are single use. Even Windows is like that for the matter, you cannot install it (legally) on multiple computers with the same serial number. You don't expect to buy one Windows license and activate it on all the PC's in the house. Even if you "pomise" that's just you alone in the house.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 03. 2016 18:57

[Post New]
Quote EVERY software that we buy is, unless otherwise specified, for ONE computer.

This does not apply to many video editing software programs that I have seen.

Vegas- 3PC's

Hit Film Pro- 3 PC's

New Blue FX- 2 PC's

Adobe- 2 PC's

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2016 19:48

[Post New]
Quote EVERY software that we buy is, unless otherwise specified, for ONE computer.

This does not apply to many video editing software programs that I have seen.

Vegas- 3PC's

Hit Film Pro- 3 PC's

New Blue FX- 2 PC's

Adobe- 2 PC's

Did you see my above bolded words? Those are EXCEPTIONS, with the numbers clearly defined (like 2 or 3 but not whatever), they are not the general rule for software.

Vegas and Adobe are pro level programs that cost at that level and that price can "cover" the one or two extra installs.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 04. 2016 14:54

Studiomagic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2017 23:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm going to contribute my two cents to this old forum because the issue is currently affecting me as a PD15 and CD user.

I have to admit; I'm surprised at everyone’s response here. If they are truly not agents for Cyberlink or pros who get free product demos, then I don’t know how fellow consumers can support a practice that’s unfair toward the consumer. I'm not feeling the single computer policy defenses… they sound very much like they’re coming from the perspective of the software developers.

Also, let’s not marginalize this woman because she’s not from the US. She’s right.

To the person using MS Windows as comparable software that can’t be used on multiple computers, this is flawed logic. Windows is an operating system, not a tool used within one. If you want to bring up Microsoft, they DO offer reasonable solutions for using tools you’ve purchased on more than one machine. They always have. Every reputable software company does.

Saying most applications you purchase are for only one computer is bluntly false IF you measure it against the appropriate products. Aside from Microsoft, all firms from Adobe on down provide reasonable solutions for more than once activation. Cyberlink must realize this is a controversial policy because it’s hidden upon purchase and omitted from the FAQ section.

Multi computer use is allowed because it’s within the scope of a customer’s legitimate needs. If you have a work station and you want to edit on the road with your laptop too, it's unreasonable to buy an entirely new copy of the software. Unless you're opening an editing class, buying 10 copies in bulk from a 2nd hand provider is a non-solution being dressed up as a legit option. You can't put lipstick on a pig and pretend it's a woman.

Short-term thinking in the tech business promotes software piracy. If people are provided with a reasonable path to pay for a 2nd setup, Cyberlink would be able to upsell their current clients and even start a consistent flow of revenue if they go the rental route. THAT is the right way to get paid for your code. Everyone is happy/ everybody wins.

By offering NO solution (again, buying TEN copies isn't a solution), consumers will feel justified to torrent. Is this unfair? Maybe. But if someone feels they already paid for the software and that's their only solution...

Is it unfair to hide a product’s unusual limitations and make the consumer discover it on their own after purchase? I believe it is.

The lesson lost in a world where too many firms don't get properly compensated for their products is this:
Every business has a responsibility to read the market, charge what the consumer will pay and cater to their customers. Software developers are competing with "I'll get it for free" and need to do their part to ensure the ROI encourages clients to stay in the system. Most people prefer NOT to get software from a torrent site and would pay a small fee or a subscription rate to use it on another computer.

Everyone here HAS paid for this product and supported it. We are not software pirates, we are clients. I need this on a laptop and I'm absolutely not going to double down on cost or buy TEN licenses from a 2nd hand source. I don’t want to. I own this copy of PD15 and while I have no right to reproduce it, I do have a right to use MY software on another one of my own devices.

Now what?

PD is wonderful software, but I can't even recommend it to anyone because I consider this policy a fatal flaw. Sad.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2018 11:36

Studiomagic [Avatar]
[Post New]
"Did you see my above bolded words? Those are EXCEPTIONS, with the numbers clearly defined (like 2 or 3 but not whatever), they are not the general rule for software.

Vegas and Adobe are pro level programs that cost at that level and that price can "cover" the one or two extra installs."

Vegas is not any more a pro-level program that PD. PD is a better professional option in my opinion. To your point though... it's also sold at the same price point as PD.

Adobe isn't a program, it's a company. Adobe Premiere on it’s own can be licensed pretty cheap.

Regarding covering the cost of extra installs… what cost? Is someone coming over to code it directly on the 2nd machine? lol

It’s not lost revenue because nobody in their right mind will pay full price to put a tool they purchased on a secondary work station. It’s nonsense. Cyberlink is simply walking away from this very resonable consumer need and forcing clients to find their own solutions.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 02. 2018 15:15

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Studiomagic - You don't know how to use this forum. You caused a text formatting error in your second thread when you quoted someone but you put your response inside the quote. That person did not say that. You did so there is the text formatting error. You can fix it by deleting your post or fix it so everyone can read it properly.

If you have any issue you need to start a new post and use the forum correctly.
Studiomagic [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Studiomagic - You don't know how to use this forum. You caused a text formatting error in your second thread when you quoted someone but you put your response inside the quote. That person did not say that. You did so there is the text formatting error. You can fix it by deleting your post or fix it so everyone can read it properly.

If you have any issue you need to start a new post and use the forum correctly.

I think I do know how to use the forum since you’re responding to something I wrote.

What I think you meant was I left a tag in there when cutting unneeded filler from a response, didn’t notice and bad syntax makes you nervous. My quote is clearly outside of other people’s comments and it's very very clear I'm responding to someone.

Anyway, I’d gladly edit it, but I’m going to leave it there just to be irritating. Enjoy.

[Moderation Note: Formatting issue corrected to avoid confusion]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 03. 2018 04:30

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This is a user forum. You refuse to correct your editing mistakes.. You are full of it!!!! We know.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

This topic is probably best locked, as I suspect it has run its course.

We may all have our individual views on this subject but the terms upon which PDR15 can be used are outlined in the EULA July 28, 2016.

You may or may not agree with them, but that is all there is.

The 1st line of the EULA is: "Do not install or use the software until you have read and accepted all of the license terms."

Please note the phrase "license terms". Further on in the EULA is the important phrase "You acknowledge this SOFTWARE is licensed to you, not sold to you."

Ergo, a user does not own the software, only the license to use it .......in accordance with the license terms and conditions which are spelt out in the EULA.

If the license conditions say one license per device then so be it - a user can choose to accept or not, but presumably they shouldn't really accept the conditions, then argue about it.

It is a completely different discussion as to the commercial basis for such conditions, and no doubt there will be good arguments on both sides, but for individual users the license is currently whatever it is, and users can accept or reject those license conditions.

I would recommend that every user reads the EULA carefully as it is the basis on which the use of the software is authorised.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 02. 2018 16:02

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do