Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD15: Is the PD13/14 BluRay Disc Burn Failure Still Present?
[Post New]
First, the details:

1. After burning a BluRay in PD 13/14, you cannot open the same project and burn another disc without the project hanging if motion menus are enabled.

2. In reality, PD has not hung or crashed - it is just sitting there grinding the hell out of your hard drive and pegging your CPU at 100% for hours until the burn menu does in fact re-appear, but can take from 1 to 6 hours to actually get past this obvious bug.

3. Once you get to where you can actually burn the BluRay, it still ultimately fails. Few ever have the patience to get this far because they believe their systems have permenantly hung and have usually reset their systems long before this point.

4. And thus, you only get to burn a BluRay disc ONCE per project because PD corrupts the project file and you never get back to the burn menu, and if you do, it will still crash - there is no returning to a project that was used to previously burn a bluray - you simply won't be able to (if you want to keep your menus).

5. Want to burn more than 1 BluRay from a project? Back up that project file before you do the burn, or you'll wind up having to create an antirely new identical project file to burn another bluray.

And no, uninstalling and re-installing the product won't fix this. Neither will disabling all hardware accelleration options. This is a legit PowerDirector bug that corrupts project files after a BluRay burn.

And so my question: Has PowerDirector 15 solved this embarrassing and easily-reproduced problem?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Have you ever tried making a folder set from your project and then burning that to as many discs as you want? If you have the option, you can also make an ISO file and burn that? I know that is in 14 but I don;t remember if it is in 13.

If it is taking a long time to re-burn (produce) a file the second time, did you make sure you had enough free space on your computer and that you have deleted any junk files to clean up the hard disc? If you have the disc type hard drive, have you defragged it? No need to do that for SSDs.

Are all your files on your system drive which speeds up the rendering or do you have them on several different drives. (USB or other?)

OOPS, I forgot to answer your question. I have never tried that, I always burn an ISO or folder set if I think I may make more discs in the future.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2016 08:44

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Quote Have you ever tried making a folder set from your project and then burning that to as many discs as you want? If you have the option, you can also make an ISO file and burn that? I know that is in 14 but I don;t remember if it is in 13.

If it is taking a long time to re-burn (produce) a file the second time, did you make sure you had enough free space on your computer and that you have deleted any junk files to clean up the hard disc? If you have the disc type hard drive, have you defragged it? No need to do that for SSDs.

Are all your files on your system drive which speeds up the rendering or do you have them on several different drives. (USB or other?)

OOPS, I forgot to answer your question. I have never tried that, I always burn an ISO or folder set if I think I may make more discs in the future.

Thanks for the reply.

1. If you make a folder set, burn a disc, or create an ISO, you cannot go back into your project file to ever create them again. That's my point - PD actually corrupts the project on the very first burn. Try it for yourself. This is becoming an extremely well-documented bug.

2. If you ever want to go back into your project to change anything, you're doing it for no reason - PD will crash before you ever get to burn another image, folder set, or disc because the project itself is now corrupted. Even if you have the pateience to get to the point to where you actuqally get to click the "burn" button, it crashes about 20% into the burn process.

3. It doesn't have anytng to do with drive space (which I have plenty of on all drives). Defragging is nothing more than a very minimal peformance enhancer, it's really more about regaining clusters than speeding things up. Even so, if that mattered to PD, it still wouldn't thrash the heck out of the drive for 6 hours, which I can only imagine is CREATING a fragmentation problem.

4. Files on different drives: Yes, I do. However this should make no difference to PD, and if anything should speed things up. However, and again, this is not the problem - this is PD corrupting its own project file and/or settings after the first disc burn, creating a bug from which it cannot recover without the user specifically disabling part or all of their menus in their project (unacceptable in any atmosphere where production is taken seriously).

So there are only two workarounds for this issue, both of which are ridiculous but work nonetheless:

1. Immediately before you burn a disk, save your project and create a backup of it. This is the only way you will ever be able to make future changes to your project. You will have to re-backup your project every time you make a change or right before you burn. Once you burn from that project, it is corrupted and may as well be deleted - this is where you restore your "pre-burn" backup.

2. Burn ISO files instead of discs, because you will not have the chance to ever burn that disc or image again from that project if it wasn't backed up prior to the burn. Burning ISO files kills two birds with one stone, but not all 3 birds: it solves the issues of a failed disc burn, and solves the multiple copy issue, but still doesn't solve the corrupted post-burn project issue.

CyberLink: I sure hope you're paying attention to this. Your flagship product is irrepairably corrupting its own projects.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the additional information. I don't remember that this was documented in thei forum. Could you post links to the earlier discussions so I know what was tried and didn't work. Thanks.

I guess that I always make back ups of my projects before brning them to ISO file so I haven't see that issue. I look out for it the next time I have a project where I want to burn ISO files. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Highwinder,

You say this issue is "well documented", so as Steve mentioned, please provide other threads about this issue for reference.

Have you contacted technical support about it in the past? If yes, then please share your support ticket number you received.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do