Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"Some" problems with PowerDirector ( & other Cyberlink progs ) !
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
I know a lot of people have been ( are having ) struggling with problems with PowerDirector as I have had in the past ( fingers crossed here undecided ) I just wondered if anyone else has a software prog called AVG PC Tune Up? This prog runs in the background all the time, supposedly enhancing my PC's performance by stopping progs that AVG "thinks" I'm not using. It keeps wanting to restrict any Cyberlink prog even though I've told it to leave any Cyberlink pro, well and truely alone!

Recently, I updated my Nvidia driver ( I've been using an older version that worked reasonably well so I didn't want to change it ) the new driver and PD 14 apear to like each other on my Win 7 set up so that is very nice. I find that I still have to use the Turbo Mode in AVG to get PD 14 to run smoothly, but it works.

My question is this, "Has anyone else noticed a performance issue while running a tune up prog in the background at the same time as running ANY Cyberlink prog ?

Now if I can find out WHY my PhotoDirector prog has suddenly stopped working after several re-installs & years of trusty service, I'd be made up. Maybe my ol'PC really does need to be retired.surprised

Cheers All I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Never fall for the Hype regarding "helpers". Registry cleaners do sometimes delete required .dll from being regiatered or by deleting them. I suspect that AVG PC Tune up is in that general category. . .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Kyle 40:

Neither Microsoft nor most reputable computer help sites, like Bleeping Computer, recommend the use of PC Optimizers and Registry Cleaners. They are essentially "snake oil."

You might be interested in ** this article ** by Quietman7, one of the foremost experts at Bleeping Computer, as to why such questionable "utilities" are not recommended.

Before I saw "the light", I did use such utilities and I can speak from personal experience that they do more damage than good, plus they are a waste of money.

Hope this is helpful. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Never fall for the Hype regarding "helpers". Registry cleaners do sometimes delete required .dll from being regiatered or by deleting them. I suspect that AVG PC Tune up is in that general category. .

Ummm, I'm really starting to think that could be true, cheers stevek I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Kyle 40:

Neither Microsoft nor most reputable computer help sites, like Bleeping Computer, recommend the use of PC Optimizers and Registry Cleaners. They are essentially "snake oil."

You might be interested in ** this article ** by Quietman7, one of the foremost experts at Bleeping Computer, as to why such questionable "utilities" are not recommended.

Before I saw "the light", I did use such utilities and I can speak from personal experience that they do more damage than good, plus they are a waste of money.

Hope this is helpful. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Hi garioch7, that's a very interesting article. I've always thought that the registry needed cleaning as at some point as a lot of old "stuff" will clog up the system, maybe I'm wrong!

I think the thing for me to do now is reformat my hard drive and make a clean start again and ditch the reg edit prog.

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Kyle 40:

I would second your suggestion. That is what I had to do, but I waited for Windows 10 to become stable and then did a clean install last December, not an upgrade (an upgrade will just carry the garbage across). That finally got rid of all of erratic gremlins in my computer and it has been stable ever since. I attribute the issues that I formerly had to registry cleaners and PC optimizers. I have avoided them like the plague ever since.

Good luck with your reinstallation. I hope that it eliminates all the issues that are plaguing your computer. For me, it was well worth the time and effort.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Kyle 40:

I would second your suggestion. That is what I had to do, but I waited for Windows 10 to become stable and then did a clean install last December, not an upgrade (an upgrade will just carry the garbage across). That finally got rid of all of erratic gremlins in my computer and it has been stable ever since. I attribute the issues that I formerly had to registry cleaners and PC optimizers. I have avoided them like the plague ever since.

Good luck with your reinstallation. I hope that it eliminates all the issues that are plaguing your computer. For me, it was well worth the time and effort.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Hi Phil, just thought I'd tell you that I haven't yet got around to a hard reformat BUT I did get rid of the AVG Optimizer. What a difference, the PC has become more responsive, even feels as if it's ben turbo charged.

Thanks for yours and steveks' recommendationsurprised I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
garioch7
[Post New]
Kyle 40:

Glad to hear that things are improving for you. Bleeping Computer no longer recommends AVG products.

See ** this topic ** by Quietman7. Your experience just confirms what is stated in that article. Moreover, I assist people with computer issues, and having seen for myself what AVG is doing, I fully concur with the comments in his article.

Have a great day, and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Kyle 40:

Glad to hear that things are improving for you. Bleeping Computer no longer recommends AVG products.

See ** this topic ** by Quietman7. Your experience just confirms what is stated in that article. Moreover, I assist people with computer issues, and having seen for myself what AVG is doing, I fully concur with the comments in his article.

Have a great day, and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
-Phil

Whew, after several very frustrating days, I finally have my old computer back! After what should have been a "simple" hard drive re-format and then a reload of Windows 7, I was left with computer that didn't have Ethernet or USB drivers! I repeated the delete, reload process 3 times all to no avail. I had to call for help to finalise the re-install and ended up with Windows 10 on my PC instead. My pristine Windows DVD didn’t want to play ball so we had to go for an upgrade.yell

Windows 10, hat a pile of ….. sealed but that’s not what I’m here to tell !

It’s funny how you back everything up, then when you try to find the program, the link or that bit of software, it’s not there.

I even had to ask Cyberlink if they could please resend the links for my Cyberlink Media Suite. Bless them ,they did. innocent

I now have all my Cyberlink products working at last. That’s more than I can say about my address book that should have been back up to the cloud …. Maybe it rained that day, I can’t lose any more sleep over it, too much work to do.

Still a lot of progs to reload, now why doesn't that work, it did before?

How the heck do you get Windows 10 to do what YOU want and not what IT wants...... ? Agh well!cry

Happy editing again and thanks again for all the help.

Cheers

Dave I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.