Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhotoDirector 7 has just stopped working!
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I've been using CyberLink products for a few years now and this is the first time anything like this has happened to me ( guess I've been lucky ).

I still have Windows 7 as I can't see a good reason to change just yet and I use Director Suite 4. PhotoDirector 7 has been my go to photo tool and I'm missing it already as I have quite a few images to sort. Over the past week, I've had a few new problems with PowerDirector 14, now PhotoDirector has now stopped working altogether where as PowerDirector still works!

PhotoDirector will start to load but then stops loading as the PhotoDirector desktop appears with the splash screen icon still present, that never disappears.

I've searched through the forum and followed the suggestion of un-installing then re-installing PhotoDirector. Still the same problem.

There have been a few Windows updates recently so I've even done a roll back on Windows desk top to remove the latest updates, unfortunately the problem still persists.

I have several videos to finish and quite a few photos to "tweak", I really don't have the time for this. Suppose things like this never happen at an opportune moment, do they? Is this a ploy from CyberLink to get me to upgrade again or is something else that I've missed?

Thanking you in advance for any help to solve this prolem.

Dave
[Thumb - PhotoDirectorSplash.jpg]
 Filename
PhotoDirectorSplash.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PhotoDirector with Splash screen
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
53 time(s)
[Thumb - no menus.jpg]
 Filename
no menus.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Menus not available.
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
51 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag file
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
373 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15. 2016 13:03

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Ooops
 Filename
DxDiag2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag file
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
370 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15. 2016 13:04

[Post New]
Hello Kyle,

Over the years I've needed to do a number of complete uninstalls/re-installs of CL products. On the whole, that has corrected issues like yours. Though not always necessary, I generally use Revo Uninstaller to clear out leftover items.

Checking your diagnostic report shows your GPU driver is not up-to-date. That would not cause PhD to stop working, but it's best to update anyway. http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/111034/en-us I cannot see anything else in your DxDiag that rings any alarm bells, but I am no expert on these matters.

It's possible that something else is interfering with PhD starting properly. Have you tried rebooting your PC in Safe Mode, then testing?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Hello Kyle,

Over the years I've needed to do a number of complete uninstalls/re-installs of CL products. On the whole, that has corrected issues like yours. Though not always necessary, I generally use Revo Uninstaller to clear out leftover items.

Checking your diagnostic report shows your GPU driver is not up-to-date. That would not cause PhD to stop working, but it's best to update anyway. http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/111034/en-us I cannot see anything else in your DxDiag that rings any alarm bells, but I am no expert on these matters.

It's possible that something else is interfering with PhD starting properly. Have you tried rebooting your PC in Safe Mode, then testing?

PIX

Hi Pix , thanks for replying.

I've just tried Safe Mode but that doesn't work either cry I knew that my Nvidia driver was out of date as PD 14 works better ( or used to ! ) with the older driver. I'll update the driver to see if that helps in any way.

On the bright side of not being able to work on the ole' PC, I've picked up my paint brushes again to try finsh off a painting I started months ago but I've still missed out on the exhibition dead line. At least I'll get into into the next exhibitioncool

I'll report back

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Just noticed that Photodirector is still showing as active in Windows Task Manager even though I closed the non-functioning prog down! I can finaly close the prog using "End Process".

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Hello Kyle,

PIX

Hi Pix, finaly got around to updateing the Nvidia driver but PhotoDirector still would load past it's Splash screen !yell

Could something like AVG Tune Up have caused this, I also have McAfee on guard ?!undecided

Cheers

P.S. PowerDirector still appears to work with this latest Nvidia driver, so that has to be a good thinglaughing I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
After another look at my problematic prog, I though I'd try to log onto the Director Zone via the PhotoDirector desktop and was awarded this message.....

DirectorZone is still performing the authorization. Please wait a moment and then try again.

... so I just left the PC alone for 24mins and nothing had happened ... again!

Reformat the hard drive could be away around this as it would give me a clean "slate" to write to again. There's always too much to do andthings like this just get in the way.

Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote After another look at my problematic prog, I though I'd try to log onto the Director Zone via the PhotoDirector desktop and was awarded this message.....

DirectorZone is still performing the authorization. Please wait a moment and then try again.

... so I just left the PC alone for 24mins and nothing had happened ... again!

Reformat the hard drive could be away around this as it would give me a clean "slate" to write to again. There's always too much to do andthings like this just get in the way.

Cheers

I finally found a way around this problem. innocent I re-formatted the hard drive then re-loaded the Win 7 OS. The next problem I faced was that Win 7 would not reinstall all the drivers needed for USB or Ethernet! yell To cut a long story short, I now have Windows 10 on my PC but with a fully working Director suite 4. I just have to wade through finding out how to use Win 10.undecided

Cheers all

Dave. I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
samurai2samurai [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2018 03:05 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I know it's been a year since this thread is out but I'm now experiencing the exact same problems as Kyle. Any suggestions on how to fix this without having to reformat my computer? It just happened out of the blue and I have no idea on how to fix it. Please help.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote I know it's been a year since this thread is out but I'm now experiencing the exact same problems as Kyle. Any suggestions on how to fix this without having to reformat my computer? It just happened out of the blue and I have no idea on how to fix it. Please help.

Hi samurai2samurai

Do you have an Nvidia GFX? If so are the drivers upto date ? Make sure that you ONLY download the GFX drivers onto your PC, NOT the extra bit of aoftware that Nvidia want you to download. Use the CLEAN install option from their website when you do download the driver as this will let you choose which bits NOT to download !

Do you also have ColorDirector and does it run ? It probably won't !

You may be interested to learn that the same thing happened to me again a couple of months back !yell The DX Files this time, indicated lots of problems !
After many messages sent back and forth to Cyberlink HQ, it was decided that, yet again, I had to reload my OS by reformating my hard drive. I know I use an old PC ( which I am hoping to replace this year ) but why should I have so many problems with a few programs ( some not related to Cyberlink ), I still don't know the answer. The "C" hard drive is functioning well with no damage to the disc.
If you are using Win 10, you can use an ISO, which you can download from Microsoft, to reload the OS.
You are then given various options from keeping all your files and repairing the OS OR total reformat. I actually tried the various steps but, in the end had to go for the total reformat. Not too paintful just remember to back up all your docs and files to an external drive first.
It's a pain but youre left with a purring PC after the clean outinnocent

Good luck
Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2018 14:22