Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Uninstall previous version?
CaptainBruce747 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2014 21:05 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have version 14. ShouldI uninstall it before installing the upgrade to version 15? I don't want to leave lots of unused software on my computer. If I should uninstall version 14, how do I do that? Nothing shows up in the program manager to install version 14.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have version 14. ShouldI uninstall it before installing the upgrade to version 15? I don't want to leave lots of unused software on my computer. If I should uninstall version 14, how do I do that? Nothing shows up in the program manager to install version 14.

I believe an Upgrade will overwrite the previous version and will retain the files it needs.
CaptainBruce747 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have version 14. ShouldI uninstall it before installing the upgrade to version 15? I don't want to leave lots of unused software on my computer. If I should uninstall version 14, how do I do that? Nothing shows up in the program manager to install version 14.

I believe an Upgrade will overwrite the previous version and will retain the files it needs.

I installed version 15 but version 14 still exists and works if I click on it, taking up space on my laptop. And there is no "uninstall" feature in program manager to remove version 14. Same forr Revo Uninstaller. Do you know if Cyberlink has some sort of removal tool?
James2016 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Queensland, Australia Joined: Oct 19, 2016 06:53 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]

I installed version 15 but version 14 still exists and works if I click on it, taking up space on my laptop. And there is no "uninstall" feature in program manager to remove version 14. Same forr Revo Uninstaller. Do you know if Cyberlink has some sort of removal tool?

I find Windows 10 has terrible icon management, and updating from 14 to 15 results in the start menu still showing version 14 but linking to 15. Meanwhile, the task bar icon is correct. 14 can't be accessed after the upgrade.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
FYI - I'm using both PD14 and 15 and have no issues on Win 10. Perhaps your instal did not execute properly. Suggest you remove PD14, test it, then re-instal 15. Win 10, i7
James2016 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Queensland, Australia Joined: Oct 19, 2016 06:53 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Quote FYI - I'm using both PD14 and 15 and have no issues on Win 10. Perhaps your instal did not execute properly. Suggest you remove PD14, test it, then re-instal 15.

Unfortunately PD14 has to be installed when PD15 is installed in order to action the upgrade. Windows 10 has similar icon problems with other software - such as not displaying changes properly in Settings -> System -> Default Apps.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
James,

I'm suggesting to remove PD15 leaving PD14 as is. If PD14 works OK at that point then re-install PD15. Windows 10 does not have issues with both apps running. PD will not allow BOTH to run at the same time however. Win 10, i7
James2016 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote James,

I'm suggesting to remove PD15 leaving PD14 as is. If PD14 works OK at that point then re-install PD15. Windows 10 does not have issues with both apps running. PD will not allow BOTH to run at the same time however.

Oh, okay. Yes, that's a good suggestion. I'll give that a try.
CaptainBruce747 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys but I am on WIN 7. I installed version 15 of power dirctor and it installed and works fine but version 14 still exists and it also works (not that I want it to.)

There is no "uninstall" button in the program manager for the version 14 install. Revo uninstalled also does not list version 14.This is really frustrating. I know versiion 14 is taking up room on my laptop and I really want to remove it.

Any more suggestions?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 07. 2016 18:14

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks guys but I am on WIN 7. I installed version 15 of power dirctor and it installed and works fine but version 14 still exists and it also works (not that I want it to.)

There is no "uninstall" button in the program manager for the version 14 install. Revo uninstalled also does not list version 14.This is really frustrating. I know versiion 14 is taking up room on my laptop and I really want to remove it.

Any more suggestions?
Look in C:\Program Files\CyberLink for a folder named Powerdirector14. If that folder exists, then you can delete that folder and files to remove Powerdirector 14, You should also do a search in the registry for Powerdirector14 and remove any that you find. Caution: Deleting entries in the registry may cause irreclaimable damage. Do so at you own risk.

Alternately, you can do a search of your computer for Powerdirector 14 files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2016 08:23

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

All vodi
[Post New]
PD14 (the actual app) takes about 1 GB of storage space. The content portions are of course much more. But the content can be used by PD15 and one may not want to delete them if you intend to use them in PD15. Win 10 should show PD14 in the control panel/programs if it is still active. If it's not shown then it was not removed using Win 10 in the standard fashion. Win 10, i7
CaptainBruce747 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks guys but I am on WIN 7. I installed version 15 of power dirctor and it installed and works fine but version 14 still exists and it also works (not that I want it to.)

Any more suggestions?
Look in C:\Program Files\CyberLink for a folder named Powerdirector14. If that folder exists, then you can delete that folder and files to remove Powerdirector 14, You should also do a search in the registry for Powerdirector14 and remove any that you find. Caution: Deleting entries in the registry may cause irreclaimable damage. Do so at you own risk.

Alternately, you can do a search of your computer for Powerdirector 14 files.

Okay, thanks for that. I was hoping for a more elequent solution but unless I get some suggestion how to thoroughly remove it, I will go with deleting the folder and a search in the registry as you suggested. I will create a system restore point first, of course! Appreciate your taking the time to reply to my question.
CaptainBruce747 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PD14 (the actual app) takes about 1 GB of storage space. The content portions are of course much more. But the content can be used by PD15 and one may not want to delete them if you intend to use them in PD15. Win 10 should show PD14 in the control panel/programs if it is still active. If it's not shown then it was not removed using Win 10 in the standard fashion.

Thanks for trying to help but as I said, I am on WIN 7. Appreciate your comments though.
All vodi
[Post New]
If you upgraded from PD14 to PD15 do not discard your original source files in case you need to re-instal PD15 at a later time. FYI - I was using PD14 with 13 under Win7 with no issues before Win 10 came along. Win 10, i7
CaptainBruce747 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you upgraded from PD14 to PD15 do not discard your original source files in case you need to re-instal PD15 at a later time. FYI - I was using PD14 with 13 under Win7 with no issues before Win 10 came along.

Okay, good point. Thanks for that!