Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 15 crashing on startup
Jarredduq [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2015 15:49 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Upgraded to Powerdirector 15. Unfortunately, I can't use it. It crashes after I select an option from the initial screen and the project screen comes up. I get a dialog box PDR.exe has stopped working. I searched and found people have had issues with NVIDIA GEFORCE Experience, which I uninstalled and still have the issue.

I have a dell XPS 9550 running Windows 10 with 16GB of RAM. It has Intel 530 and NVIDIA GTX960m.

Please advise
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Jarredduq,
welcome to the volunteer Forum.
Could you please attach a dxdiag of your computer for us?
Instructions, Part A & B please.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49533.page

What version of PD did you previously (recently) use that worked?
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Jarredduq [Avatar]
[Post New]
I upgraded from Powerdirector 14 hoping the problem would have been fixed. I started having problems after the Windows 10 anniversary update. Unfortunately I'm past the time when I could rollback to the previous version of Windows 10.

Please note I could not go to the help about section, because it crashes before I can do that. I'm assuming it's build 2026, as I just installed it today.
 Filename
Jarredduq_DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
274 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2016 21:39

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jarredduq,
Thanks for the diagnostic.
You have a number of error messages at the bottom of the diagnostic, none relate to PowerDirector but you do need to address them.
1. Please take a screenshot of the PDR error message and attach it to your reply/post.
2. DxDiag info: Driver Date/Size: 11/8/2015 5:00:00 PM, 15839200 bytes. Update your Nvidia driver, the Geforce Experience issue has been fixed I believe.
3. Ensure in your Nvidia Control Panel you have PowerDirector selected.

Dafydd

Jarredduq [Avatar]
[Post New]
Upgraded to latest 10/5/2016 373.06 driver. I've attached a new dxdiag. Also, when I click add in the Nvidia control panel. I'm not sure if powerdirector was added, because the option to chose a graphics processer is grayed-out. I've attached a screenshot.

Powerdirector is still crashing.
 Filename
jarredduq.zip
[Disk]
 Description
DXDiag and control panel
 Filesize
86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
277 time(s)
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Just for clarification, you did turn off your antivirus and other securtity programs during the install? You are installing the program to a "administrator' account -correct? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Jarredduq [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't have any 3rd party antivirus installed, just what comes with Windows. This is a consumer video editing software, it should not be this finicky to install. I think I'm just going to have to ask for a refund and cut my losses.

Edit: I did end up getting a refund, which is too bad, because I really wanted to use this software.frown

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 19. 2016 14:08