Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
In PD13 I can't preview a clip in which I've changed the speed
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I haven't posted here with a problem for quite a while. Generally PD13 works pretty well for me, maybe because I don't ask it to do anything too outlandish.

However in a current project I've used Power Tools to speed up one clip and find that I can't preview it to see the effect. When I start it playing on the preceding clip the preview begins to judder when it gets to the speeded-up clip then jumps straight to the end of the timeline.

I'm ready to believe that my system specs might be marginal for coping with playing the speeded-up clip but I feel that doesn't explain why it suddenly jumps to the end of the project (the clip is 30 minutes through a 38-minute timeline).

I was hoping there might be some option to pre-render the clip but can't find anything. I'm editing M2TS 1920x1080 footage from a Panasonic SD900. I'm not using shadow files as, up to now, I've had no problems editing without them.

I've experimented with different preview settings. I normally use Real-time Preview and High Preview Resolution. Lowering the resolution makes no difference to the problem. Using Non Real-time Preview stops it jumping to the end but the clip that should run for 10 seconds takes 30 seconds so I can't get a proper idea of the effect of the speed-up.

I suspect there's no easy way around this but any suggestions would be welcome.

Edit: one other thing I ought to mention is that the speeded up clip is a section of a longer clip, i.e. the preceding and succeeding clips were originally part of the same original clip.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2016 06:56

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I suspect there's no easy way around this but any suggestions would be welcome.

Depending on amount of speed up, no computer will cope with PD and preview display skipping. The fix for this is simple, one needs to "Render Preview" the sped up section.
1) Select sped up clip
2) Drag the right orange symbol on the right side of the timeline scrubber to the end of the the sped up clip
3) A "Render Preview" will appear above the timeline
4) The render preview will take some time, you will have a green bar above section of timeline as progress continues
5) Playback will be fluent for the sped up selection and at the "Preview Quality" that you have selected at the time of the "Render Preview" operation.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD13_renderpreview.png]
 Filename
PD13_renderpreview.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
168 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
44 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2016 07:46

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Jeff, thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for.

It didn't take long to render. I didn't time it but I estimate about a minute. The speed-up was 8.1 X, chosen to give a sped-up time of exactly 10 seconds and after the render it plays back perfectly.

I'm most grateful for your help. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64