Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Keyframe Brightness ?
[Post New]
I have some outside videos that change in brightness because of the time of day and sun.

Is there any way to keyframe brightness in the video? I'd like to gradually change the brightness rather than put in video breaks and change the brightness of each clip. That's too sudden of a brightness change.

Thanks,

Clark
[Post New]
I guess one way is to place two copies of the video clip on parallel timelines. The adjust the back one for the maximum brightness for the clip. Gradually change the transparency of the front clip by keyframing it, to display the parts of the finished video the way you prefer.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Clark -

There's no need for that - you can keyframe brightness! Just about all clip attributes are keyable.

Just select the clip, then click Keyframe. Expand the Fix/Enhance section and you can insert & set brightness keyframes.

Screenshot attached.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Brightness Keyframe.png]
 Filename
Brightness Keyframe.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
293 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
69 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Keyframe brightness does work. I find keyframing exposure better in that highlights aren’t blown out as much in many situations. There are more ways to skin a cat.
[Post New]
Cool !!!!

Tony,

I just tried your suggestion. It worked like a charm.

Thanks much,

Clark

[Post New]
Tony, another question then.. Is there a way to keyframe video speed?

And back to exposure versus brightness, I've read on this a bit. Exposure is better when the entire image or video is dark. Brightness is better when parts are too dark.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
In the early days of cinema, they used something like that. The film they used was very slow, so they could only shoot in bright sunlight. In order to give the impression of night scenes, they reduced the exposure setting on the camera which caused the whole image to look dark. It was called "day for night"...I think there's a movie with that title as well. Even many of the early black and white Gunsmoke episodes were shot in day for night. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Is there a way to keyframe video speed?

In a way... though it's not keyframing as we typically use it in PDR.

By setting different "Time Shifts" and using Ease In/Out to transition between speed changes, you can "keyframe video speed".

Screenshot example attached. To explain, the clip was shot at 960fps and processed in camera - Sony RX10 III. The screenshot shows the first & final sections sped up & the middle left as recorded. Ease in/out was applied.

Here's the processed clip - not a supreme example, but an example none-the-less.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Time Shift.png]
 Filename
Time Shift.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
518 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
22 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!