Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why is PD 15 slow on my fast computer?
[Post New]
I installed PD 15 today and started editing some videos. I am getting pretty consistent slowness and lagging while editing. I generally get 0.25-2+ second delays between when I drag, cut, resize, or do most general tasks. (Occationally it doesn't lag, but it's uncommon and in short bursts)

If I have a bottleneck hardware wise, please advise. (Specs listed below) Otherwise, Does anyone have any ideas on how I can diagnose this? I'm at a loss. It's usable, but painful.

Software:
PowerDirector 15 Full (Not Trial Version)

Video Quality Being Edited:
720p Video

Setup:
Windows 10
6600k I5 at 4.5 Ghz CPU
GTX 1060 GPU
16GB 3200 DDR4 Memory
M.2 HDD (Fastest hdd read/write speeds)

*Edited for clarity.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 14. 2016 23:09

philF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 11, 2014 21:52 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Installed yesterday folowing a youtube demo from PD univeristy.

Yes, same for me. Frustratingly slow.

Tried the express project, and it was like traveling to a land that time forgot. Kept hanging, no response from PC. Forced shut down and when it did work took at least 10 mins to get going once the project had been saved.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2016 23:58

BRUNO T. [Avatar]
Member Location: France Joined: May 06, 2016 06:15 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
hmmm
was about to update to DirectorSuite5...
but will wait for your feedback to understand why these perf are bad... or feedback from CL team.

normally the Time line should provide more fluidity for all ope in PD 15 as they move to True Velocity 6... I7 950, 10 Go Ram, GTX960, SSD 256, HD 2 To, with professional music devices.
PD 14 since dec 2015.
[Post New]
Quote: Installed yesterday folowing a youtube demo from PD univeristy.
Yes, same for me. Frustratingly slow.

I opened a support ticket yesterday. I'll post any findings here. I'm still waiting for a response.

I can't think of any reasons why it would be running slow, especially when considering the computer I'm running on.
BRUNO T. [Avatar]
Member Location: France Joined: May 06, 2016 06:15 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
Well thanks a lot for sharing with us.
Hope it will be fixed quickly to take god time using PD15 ! I7 950, 10 Go Ram, GTX960, SSD 256, HD 2 To, with professional music devices.
PD 14 since dec 2015.
ChristianK92170 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2016 17:04 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Same problem for me.

Also the audo gain (in the mixer room) is not correctly saved (only 0, 50 or 100 values, for instance if i enter 30, save the project, close the app, reload the project, the reloaded value is 0)

Some crashes from time to time also.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2016 18:19

[Post New]
I have not found a fix yet.

I confirmed that I am using the GTX 1060 graphics card (not integrated intel) per the suggestion of a forum member. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47907.page#250514

I made all adjustments suggested by CyberLink Support and put the preview resolution to the lowest setting, even with all the changes, I noticed no noticeable improvement.

Example of performance: When I click on the timeline and click another location on the timeline, then press space-bar, I counted 4 seconds till the preview started playing. (This is after all the suggested changes) I'm experiencing similarly poor performance when doing other tasks.

I will keep you all updated. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

CyberLink Support Suggestion:

1. Enable shadow file and wait for shadow file generated: http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=16454&prodId=4

2. Enable all HW Acceleration setting: http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=12777&

3. low down preview quality (it would be the most useful)

4. I would suggest you to use non-realtime preview when editing. It would be no sound in the preview. But it is a possible solution to edit HD video in low performance PC.

**Edited for formatting.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 20. 2016 23:35

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
If we could assist you, we'd need to have some additional info. Please read: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49533.page
Dafydd
JATT222 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2016 07:36 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have not found a fix yet.

I confirmed that I am using the GTX 1060 graphics card (not integrated intel) per the suggestion of a forum member. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47907.page#250514

I made all adjustments suggested by CyberLink Support and put the preview resolution to the lowest setting, even with all the changes, I noticed no noticeable improvement.

Example of performance: When I click on the timeline and click another location on the timeline, then press space-bar, I counted 4 seconds till the preview started playing. (This is after all the suggested changes) I'm experiencing similarly poor performance when doing other tasks.

I will keep you all updated. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

CyberLink Support Suggestion:

1. Enable shadow file and wait for shadow file generated: http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=16454&prodId=4

2. Enable all HW Acceleration setting: http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=12777&

3. low down preview quality (it would be the most useful)

4. I would suggest you to use non-realtime preview when editing. It would be no sound in the preview. But it is a possible solution to edit HD video in low performance PC.

**Edited for formatting.

Yes! I have a trial version PD 15 on my secondry computer and are comparing it with PD 14 that I use on my video editing computer and have come to the conclusion that I will NOT be upgrading to PD 15. Yes! I agree it has bugs in it---not very responsive---has crashed when trying to use "Theme Designer"---and as far as I can see, has no advantage over PD 14---besides 360 editing---which I'm not interested in and "Virtical Editing"---which would be useful!!

In Short!---PD 15 is a dismal disappointment to me---as nothing has changed when it comes to general editing, producing, or burning to disc options---the latter being my biggest gripe! It's Me!
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
If we could assist you, we'd need to have some additional info. Please read: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49533.page
Dafydd

What version of PowerDirector 15 are you using? See Part A in the guide at the top of the forum.

2. Please provide Diagnostic data of your computer. See Part B in the guide at the top of the forum.
See attached.

3. Please provide a screenshot of the Edit workspace with your project insitu, this shows us the layout and we can pick up on what might be an issue. See Parts E & F in the guide at the top of the forum.
See attached.

4. Full MediaInfo of the video and audio files you have in the tracks and are part of your project. The data this info provides, allows us to see what the full properties (normally hidden) of the media, you're importing into a project. See Part J in the guide at the top of the forum.
Attached. One of each type (Video, Audio, Image).

Let me know if you notice anything. Thanks.
 Filename
2.Jeremy.DxDiag.rar
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
454 time(s)
 Filename
3.Screenshot.rar
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot
 Filesize
430 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
453 time(s)
 Filename
4.MediaInfo.rar
[Disk]
 Description
MediaInfo
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
416 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2016 11:34

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi jeremy,
Thank you for the PM and the posted information - brilliant, well laid out
I couldn't see much.
The following are just guesses and suggestions that may or may not work.
Change the m4a's to wav,
Change the mov's to mpeg4, either by a simple extension change or run them via video converter (like Handbrake). Either way you might muck up your current project.
Mov's have caused problems in the past for some editors.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2016 12:58

[Post New]
Make sure to use shadow files. My Nikon also saves in MOV format and editing those files is very slow. Shadow files helps a lot.

My project files are 1080p30 or 1080p60, up to 20 minutes long. The machine is an i7 3770 with 16 GB of memory and a SSD. Without shadow files editing some of these files is not really usable. With shadow files however it works great.

But note that after importing your clips, you need to let the computer create the shadow files. This can take quite a while but is worth it!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2016 08:02

Website
YouTube
[Post New]
I've installed it a week ago and it is insanely slow at opening files, saving files, updating timeline and crashes very often with projects 16:9.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Hello jeremy.

I looked at your Dxdiag.txt file, the one thing that stands out to me, is you seem to only have a 250 GB SSD drive, no other Hard Drive.

The free space on that drive is low, that could cause Powerdirector suffer. You have lots of RAM, but not much Hard drive space.

you deleted your computer name, I can not find what computer you have, I find the motherboard, that is not the whole computer.

It looks to be a low cost computer without all of the needed stuff to edit videos well. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Something else I found. With my camera, a Nikon D3300, the editing works much faster with many shorter clips, rather than few longer ones. Not sure why, but what I do now is stop and start recording more often, so the individual clips are shorter.

With this and shadow files the editing is extremely fast! Website
YouTube
Henning1969 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2015 06:09 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Is there a fix for this, PD15 is useless, cant't work on it, to slow.
How can I go back to 14?
Tomas G77
Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is there a fix for this, PD15 is useless, cant't work on it, to slow.
How can I go back to 14?

in regards to Jeremy

PD 15 is not useless but it may be your computer that has the problem

and Carl 312 was pointing you in the right direction so listen to the advice??

one harddrive just won't cut it with video editing and your 16GB memory is borderline

get an othe ssd drive at least 500Gig for the scratch disk and update your memory

nothing wrong with the speed of PD so sort out your computer its not as fast as you think

its to slow for PD 15 and your harddrive is causing a bottleneck trying to read and write back and forth on the same drive as your

operating system JUST WON'T WORK thats the main problem.

I would also suggest you look at some up to date tutorials on how to setup a video edit system

have a nice day Tom G

Tom G Thomas G
I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body
mleise [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 31, 2014 05:43 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Quote PD 15 is not useless but it may be your computer that has the problem

one harddrive just won't cut it with video editing and your 16GB memory is borderline

get an othe ssd drive at least 500Gig for the scratch disk and update your memory

nothing wrong with the speed of PD so sort out your computer its not as fast as you think

its to slow for PD 15 and your harddrive is causing a bottleneck trying to read and write back and forth on the same drive as your

I would also suggest you look at some up to date tutorials on how to setup a video edit system

have a nice day Tom G

Tom G

I hope you are not offended when I say that I get the impression that you try to justify having spent so much money on the latest hardware. If the question was, whether jeremy's rig is adequate for editing the given source material (720p), I would say "Yes, by a large margin". An expensive large SSD or more RAM is not going to make the user interface more responsive under that workload, simply because that material has been edited swiftly with shadow files (aka proxies) on far weaker systems back in the days. Other consumer oriented video editing software (there are two or three comparable to PD) could also be tested with a similar workload to see if editing must be that slow or if they use an obvious trick to be faster.

The only hardware items that should have an effect on editing speed are the CPU frequency & generation and RAM speed. (GPU effects aside.) The CPU frequency is awesome and the RAM - I presume - is fast, too. Any hardware bottlenecks are ruled out in my opinion. That leaves us with the software side. Do you have any codec packs installed? I could imagine in theory, that if an external codec was used, that is slow to use for still frame extrction the way it happens when editing in PD, it could slow down the whole application. Are the shadow files ready and the preview quality set to "normal" or lower, so they get used? Did you try disabling the "continuous thumbnails for easy scene recognition"? You'll only see the first video frame for each clip, but it is faster. The same goes for "audio waveforms". Most importantly though: How big is your project? In PD 12 I once had a 4 hour long 1920x1080@50p project with lots of clips and well over a thousand animated still images, that would become slow to edit on the now six year old office notebook I was using back then. Also the occasional longer pauses in the interface were caused by the autosave feature, which would work for a minute or so without a visual feedback.

Don't worry about the free disk space on that SSD unless PD stops writing shadow files. (It tries to keep a certain percentage of disk space free). Performance-wise, a good small M.2 SSD beats an SATA SSD hands down by a factor of 3 to 5, because SATA is limited to ~650 MB/s. More RAM will not give you as much of an advantage since your SSD is already "only" about 10x slower than RAM, while with a mechanical HDD the factor is 1000x and more. Figure this: In the time PD hangs - let's assume 1 second - your SSD can sequentially read more than half an hour of 720p material (assuming an overall bitrate of 10,5 Mbit/s and a Samsung SSD 950 Pro M.2).
Tomas G77
Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Quote PD 15 is not useless but it may be your computer that has the problem

have a nice day Tom G

Tom G

I hope you are not offended when I say that I get the impression that you try to justify having spent so much money on the latest hardware. If the question was, whether jeremy's rig is adequate for editing the given source material (720p), I would say "Yes, by a large margin". An expensive large SSD or more RAM is not going to make the user interface more responsive under that workload, simply because that material has been edited swiftly with shadow files (aka proxies) on far weaker systems back in the days. Other consumer oriented video editing software (there are two or three comparable to PD) could also be tested with a similar workload to see if editing must be that slow or if they use an obvious trick to be faster.

The only hardware items that should have an effect on editing speed are the CPU frequency & generation and RAM speed. (GPU effects aside.) The CPU frequency is awesome and the RAM - I presume - is fast, too. Any hardware bottlenecks are ruled out in my opinion. That leaves us with the software side. Do you have any codec packs installed? I could imagine in theory, that if an external codec was used, that is slow to use for still frame extrction the way it happens when editing in PD, it could slow down the whole application. Are the shadow files ready and the preview quality set to "normal" or lower, so they get used? Did you try disabling the "continuous thumbnails for easy scene recognition"? You'll only see the first video frame for each clip, but it is faster. The same goes for "audio waveforms". Most importantly though: How big is your project? In PD 12 I once had a 4 hour long 1920x1080@50p project with lots of clips and well over a thousand animated still images, that would become slow to edit on the now six year old office notebook I was using back then. Also the occasional longer pauses in the interface were caused by the autosave feature, which would work for a minute or so without a visual feedback.

Don't worry about the free disk space on that SSD unless PD stops writing shadow files. (It tries to keep a certain percentage of disk space free). Performance-wise, a good small M.2 SSD beats an SATA SSD hands down by a factor of 3 to 5, because SATA is limited to ~650 MB/s. More RAM will not give you as much of an advantage since your SSD is already "only" about 10x slower than RAM, while with a mechanical HDD the factor is 1000x and more. Figure this: In the time PD hangs - let's assume 1 second - your SSD can sequentially read more than half an hour of 720p material (assuming an overall bitrate of 10,5 Mbit/s and a Samsung SSD 950 Pro M.2).

I can not be bothered getting into a slanging match with you or anyone else But I have been editing video for som 25yrs

and I know what I'm talking about

as I said the harddrive is causing a bottle neck one harddrive on an edit system is just asking for trouble

now go watch some tutorials and come back when you learn something

I answered the post to try and help I'm not wanting a slanging match with someone whom thinks one harddrive is sufficent

simply you don't have a clue with statements like that

end of story

have a nice day

Tom G
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
"I can not be bothered getting into a slanging match with you or anyone else But I have been editing video for som 25yrs

and I know what I'm talking about

as I said the harddrive is causing a bottle neck one harddrive on an edit system is just asking for trouble."

Strange, I only have one hard drive (C: drive) and I've been editing successfully with both PD12 and PD14. I guess I'll have to submit a trouble report... laughing