Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do you specify a filename for a snapshot?
RPavlis [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2016 10:46 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
When you take a snapshot, it only allows you to specify a file.

1) How do you specify a path for saving the file?

2) How do you change teh default path used by the snapshot feature?

3) the snapshot is also put in the media room. How do you save a single file in the media room?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi RPavlis -

Any snapshot taken will be stored in your designated Export folder. You can change that in Preferences > File.

Also in Preferences, you can select the file type - .bmp, .png, .jpg or .gif - & whether to make the snapshot maximum resolution. Another snapshot related option in Preferences is under Confirmation... "Always prompt me to confirm captured snapshot file name"

I'm not sure I understand your third question. The snapshot is saved as a file in your export folder.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RPavlis [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2016 10:46 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
It looks as if you have one path - the default export path - that must be used for all snapshots. Not very useful for keeping files organized.

In the third question, I was wondering if you can select a file in the media room and save it to a selected path. If this option was there it would get around the above limitation. based on some other reading it seems the files in the media room do not actually exist - they are just links to the file locations - is that correct?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08. 2016 23:01

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

The files in the media room are the files you imported into your project. They do exisit.

To do what you want:

1. Put the media files you are importing into a new project in a new folder (i.e. the selected path you keep referring to).

2. Start a new project, and then import the media files from this new folder.

3. Go to Preferences as Tony mentioned, and change the export folder to this folder.

Now all your snapshots and media files are in the same path. Yes, you would have to do this every time you start a new project...but that is what being organized is. It takes time and effort.

Do not confuse the files in your media room with producing the file video. When you produce the video, all the files are rendered into one file and placed in a single location, which by default is the export folder. However, you can change it before production.

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.

Dave

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 09. 2016 03:05

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Just to clarify, "The files in the media room are the files you imported into your project. They do exist."

Yes, the files in the media room exist, but they exist only wherever they were when you imported them. There is not another copy in a place called the "the media room", just a link to the original file. This is why it is important to "pack" a project when you're finished with it: PD makes a copy of all the files in the project and puts them in one folder. You have the option when packing to decide whether or not to include files shown in the media room which were not used in the project itself. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6