Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Picture Rendering Problem with PD14
Igor9499869 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Sep 03, 2016 11:55 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
PD14 does not render pictures properly.

While it takes a perfect snapshot of a video frame (freeze frame), it seems to apply some sort of a filter while rendering, that changes the colour temperature of a picture and makes the pictures fuzzy.

This makes freeze frames useless as the picture quality is very different from the video quality. Furthermore as soon as you enable "Color Adjustment" feature on a video clip, without making any colour adjustments, PD14 applies the same filter to the video. Now your freeze frames match the video but the quality of both is crap.

This is especially obvious when you enable "Video enhancement" feature that significantly improves the video quality.

My video is 1920x1080/25fps and I have tried to render it with every possible file format that supports this resolution. The result is the same. This or similar problem has been reported as far back as 2011 but I could not find a solution in this forum.

Am I doing something wrong? Please help
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Igor -

Have you tried a colour render test, including snapshots, but without applying any video enhancement or colour adjustment?

You've presented a fairly complex set of circumstances there, so it's difficult to try to replicate. Could you post a screenshot of your timeline with notes about any effects applied?

It is true that rendering a video does not always replicate colours precisely, partly because our source files are typically already compressed in camera.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Igor9499869 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thank you for your quick reply. I thought, I was the only one up at 6am on a Sunday.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "colour render test". Please explain (as they say in QLD)

I will provide the pictures shortly. In the mean time, it's very easy to recreate the problem.

[olist]
[list]Disable all video enhancement and colour adjustments[/list]
[list]Take a few seconds of a video file, preferably MP4: 1920x1080 (If possible find a static scene for easy comparison)[/list]
[list]Take a snapshot of a frame, place it next to the video on the timeline and stretch it to be a few seconds long.[/list]
[list]Produce the video.[/list]
[/olist]
You will see a significant difference in quality between the frames rendered from a picture and the video.

To make the difference even more pronounced, enable video enhancement in step 1 above and repeat steps 2 to 3.

Regards,

Igor
Igor9499869 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, the forum screwed up the list. It should say:

1. Disable all video enhancement and colour adjustments.
2. Take a few seconds of a video file, preferably MP4: 1920x1080. (If possible find a static scene for easy comparison)
3. Take a snapshot of a frame, place it next to the video on the timeline and stretch it to be a few seconds long.
4. Produce the video
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again Igor -

Before proceeding with this, could you just check a few things in PDR preferences? Under the File tab > Snapshot File Name > 2D, what format are you using? JPG? PNG? BMP? GIF? Change it to PNG or BMP if it's not. Also, do you have "Use original video size..." checked? Those two things will make a significant difference to your snapshot quality.

By colour render test, I mean producing a video from (say) a test pattern image where the colours are distinct and RGB values known. In testing your issue, I've been using a reference image and comparing the rendered colours to the original.

""

The rendered colours show small variations from the original & snapshot colours have the same variation. In other words, the snapshot in the produced file is the same as the preceeding video frame.

Here's the original image I've been using, if you'd like to test - https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ar0wuD0szNpoigT2MoBCHlR109vA

I've replicated your steps above, with & without Video Enhancement, but I'm unable to replicate your issue. In various produced files, the snapshot quality in the produced file is equivalent to the original video. Here are some short produced files:

Without video enhancement - https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ar0wuD0szNpoigFKcpn-Xa232A1v

With video enhancement - https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ar0wuD0szNpoigNK1GxuXcJRb4ss

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
EEK! "surprised" It just hit me...

Are you taking a snapshot (camera icon under the preview screen) or using the Edit Video/Image > Freeze Frame feature? If it's the latter, make sure you've unchecked (in Preferences - Editing) "Add an effect & title when using Freeze Frame". Maybe that's the filter you were talking about.

Can't see the forest for the trees, sometimes "embarassed"

Cheers - Tony