Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Win 10 Device Driver Updates
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I'm only posting this for others who may be similarly technologically challenged. This surprised me a little and brought me undone recently - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49359.page

I regularly check for GPU driver updates, so I'm usually confident that they're reasonably up-to-date. I was not aware that (by default) Win 10 automatically "updates" drivers.

Before I moved to Win 10, my GPU drivers (on 3 PCs) were up-to-date. I assumed (incorrectly) that they'd still be that way after installing Win 10. WRONG. Without me knowing, it rolled them back to drivers from about 12 months ago.

OK - when I realised that (in the thread linked above) I immediately updated the NVIDIA driver on each PC. That's not the end of the story...

On this PC, with a GTX260, I'd installed the 341.96 driver

Some hours after updating, there appeared a little pop-up telling me that my device driver had been updated. Huh? I'd only just done that. When I checked Device Manager, I found that Win 10 had rolled my driver back again!

The thing cannot be trusted! I turned off the automatic "update" thing and went back to checking for myself.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I've been reluctant to 'upgrade' or take the free dld of WIN10. This is just my own personal apprehension about this sort of 'stuff'.

I had heard that WIN10 was operating - at least initially - with WIN Updates happening automatically - with no control by the user/owner - to control and go look for or dl WIN Updates. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think ....THINK that THAT has changed so users of WIN10 can turn off the auto Update feature.

Tony, the issue here sounds similar to the Update feature. Similar... not exactly the same I realize - you are discussing dealing with driver updates.

I've kind of always hated 'black box' sorts of products handed to me dealing with computer operations. Don't take that wrong, I'm sure it's good for many operations - it's just that I like to have control of things when dealing with a computer's function/operation.

Thus, I'll probably wait to convert to WIN10 and want to make sure I know how to turn off auto updates and how to control driver updating when I do 'upgrade'.

I don't think I will be upgrading soon but when I do... hope I remember some of these lessons.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I am really confused that PD14 requires the latest Nvidia driver for the Title designer and possibly Particle designer to work with a 2008 vintage graphics card. The earlier versions of PD does not require it.

See this link: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/spec_en_US.html . The driver version must be <340 for hardware acceleration to be enabled. This to me means take your choice. Able to use the Designers or have hardware acceleration available but not both.

You can probably have your cake and eat it too. Need to do a search on the forum to find out which cuda dll files to copy from an old driver. Install the latest driver and copy those cuda files to the right folder. This did work for others in the past.

Nvidia card users need to address this issue. Are they any out there with Nvidia cuda graphics cards who like to comment? Is this problem independent of the win os or only on win 10?

CS - I guess that your GeForce GT 720 in your signature works well with PD because you are not using win 10.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I do apologize if my 'rant' diverted from what you initiated Tony. I think I have stated in the past that I don't jump right on to the newest and latest and greatest of anything computer related. I try to get something to work and then like to stick with it for as long as it functions nicely, does the things it does that is acceptable to me, etc...

tomasc - As far as the 720 working - you know, I see when I've had a big (hour or two hour) long project, where the stuttering and jumping of the timeline marker occurrs - but I know if this bothers me enough that I'd try to do something about that. It doesn't happen all the time but - I am aware of what is happening. It's always a question of how much can a user of any editing program can 'put up with' versus what they get out of using the program, then deciding if it's worth continued use as is or doing something about it!

Ok, all that just to say, I'm ok with the 720 for now (along with WIN 8.1). WHen I finally upgrade (maybe a year off or so) I'll consider upgrading , certainly the CPU and GPU. I'm trying to hang on until 4K looks like it may be sticking around 'for real' and for costs of such equipment comes down - I know this may be a long way off... but.. heck - I don't want to spend premium money for this stuff.

Enough of my ranting and hijacking - appologies Tony.

Off to CHicago to help move the daughter. Have a good weekend guys!

CS

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 26. 2016 09:47

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
This is correct. I've run into similar issues with printer drivers being downgraded by Win 10. And sometimes even the user app used to handle the device. Win 10, i7
[Post New]
When you see any driver update in Windows, you can right-click on that update and "hide" it.

However, the "anniversary update" messed that up, so now you need to do this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When you see any driver update in Windows, you can right-click on that update and "hide" it.

However, the "anniversary update" messed that up, so now you need to do this:
[url=https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
]https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
[/url]

That above link opens a Microsoft web page that states Try searching for what you need This page doesn’t exist. That may mean you must have win 10 to see something.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
tomasc,

SonNic67's link worked fine for me (but I have Win10)... Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6