Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Duplicate file names - your solution
CG2112 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2016 18:27 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys!

I shoot with a canon camcorder, a Sony DSLR and sometimes a GoPro...

After I shoot a project, I create a master working file for that project and start dumping footage from the SD cards from each camera into that folder...and from there decide which files to bring into PowerDirector.

Each camera names the files starting something like 0001 and so on so when I start loading the files from the second camera, I get the duplicate file name message with CANCEL or OVERWRITE being the only two options.

Is there a solution that Im missing to re-name these files or do you guys make seperate folders for footage from each camera or???

Thanks for your help and please let me know if there is already a thread on this that I missed.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I would create a folder for each source within your master folder. PD won't have a problem because the folder name goes towards identifying the file.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps each camera has the menu function to customise file names. Worth a look. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Guys!
I shoot with a canon camcorder, a Sony DSLR and sometimes a GoPro...

Each camera names the files starting something like 0001 and so on so when I start loading the files from the second camera, I get the duplicate file name message with CANCEL or OVERWRITE being the only two options.

I never seen others have this problem. Using the particular camera software to import Canon camcorder videos should result in m2ts video named by the shooting time and date like any other devices that I know of. The same goes for Sony and Nikons consumer cameras and cell phones.

The only time it does not happen is when someone read the video files off the sd card with a card reader. The Canon files will then have a mts extension instead of m2ts. The Canon consumer camera names images from 0000 to 9999 and does not start at zero again after deleting all pictures in the sd card.

Using the particular camera and camcorder software should eliminate any problems with duplicate file names. Using a card reader could be the problem here.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I would check the setting in the cameras, most cameras have a file naming that is continuous or Start from 0000 each time.

Continous will continue the file name numbers untill it reaches 99999 or whatever the limit is for your camera. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

CG2112 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 19, 2016 18:27 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the input all!

I usually take the SD cards out of the cameras and insert them into the card reader built into my PC. From there, I copy and paste the files to the working folder I want, then put the cards back into the cameras to reformat them before I have another shoot. This way the info stays on the cards as kind of a back up till my next project anyway.

The video files from both cameras are on the SD cards under AVCHD, then STREAM and the numbering resets each time I reformat the cards. I guess I could set the cameras to save the files in series rather then reset each time, but wouldn't I have the same problem really, if I'm starting from 00001 again on all cards? Maybe If I just set the Sony camera to series and reset the Canon each time...the Sony will be into the larger files in no time.

What I have been doing is making a project working folder, then having two sub-folders in there, one for each camera like suggested. Back in the day, I used Batch Rename on importing when working with pictures.

Thanks again for the suggestions, you guys are a great help!

Please forgive all my spelling errors, I was hit in the head fighting for House Tudor during the War of the Roses, and I've been a bit slow ever since
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for confirming what you did. Reformatting instead of deleting the images on the sd card to reuse the card causes the problem that you describe. Reformatting and using a card reader is a bad combination for you.