Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Built-in GPU (HD4600) vs dedicated card for rendering
neils [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2009 22:43 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I occasionally use PD (older version), and have gotten into a huge project in the past couple of weeks of finally transferring all of my DV tapes to PC. I use PD to capture, and then slice it up where necessary. No extra transitions are used, simply TRIM some video files and then Produce to MP4. I noticed that the rendering time is rather slow, even though I am often just using 1 video clip with no effects.

That got me investigating my built-in GPU, an Intel HD4600. I never had a need for a dedicated video card because I do not game on my PC, just email and web and occasional PD edits. I do have an i7 if that helps.

Besides the clock and memory on the GPU, which seems decent on the HD4600, what else would I gain by moving to a dedicated video card. I am looking to slice my rendering time significantly (more than 50%). I found a really cool site called gpu.userbenchmark.com/compare which has the stock GPUs along with the cards. If I look at the MRENDER data, is that a good guideline for fps rendering in PD, or is that for gaming only ??

If I am convinced that a video card will shorten my time signficantly to produce and render in PD, my budget is probably looking at something like a GTX 950/960, maybe a 970 if I know I could really cut down in production time.

Your thoughts folks, and I am looking for hard facts and data, not just I own card xyz and it kicks butt...

Thank You

Neil
Godled [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2014 10:52 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I know about 3 yrs back that Quadro cards are geared towards professonals, while GTX is for gamers.

If your not into games I recommend that you get a Quadro Card instead of a GTX!

GTX is geared towards games.

Quadro is geared towards 3d development.

I dont know if this has changed but look into it.
Though the GTX 900s are top of the GTX products.

As to if GPUs help rendering, lemme leave that for the Cyberlink guys to answer

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

If I am convinced that a video card will shorten my time signficantly to produce and render in PD, my budget is probably looking at something like a GTX 950/960, maybe a 970 if I know I could really cut down in production time.

how about GTX1060 series?

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1