Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I crop
tim321 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: nottingham Joined: Jan 19, 2016 09:39 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I have a video clip, with distortion on the side of the frame, how do I crop just the edge off without having to go through resizing the whole clip in powerdirector 13 deluxe, frustrated everything I try results in resizing all 4 sides of the frame.

Thanks
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Generally speaking you would want to maintain the aspect ratio of your footage. PD sensibly has this as the default setting (which is why objects re-size vertically and horizontally in proportion) but you can choose not to do so. If you resize a clip bear in mind that you can also then re-position it to re-centralise things. It's not often that the periphery of an image or clip matter that much.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, I don't offer help by p.m. basically because I'm not an expert in any way at all and I prefer my replies to be subject to correction by other far more able users than I am.

If as you say you are not worried about losing the aspect ratio of your video then what I would do is highlight the video on the timeline and then click on "Modify". Find the option "Maintain aspect ratio" and then untick it. Now you can drag the side of your clip out so that the part you don't want is outside frame. Since all you want to do omit one edge of the video this will work for you.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tim321,

The methods suggested by Longedge are all that you can do in Power Director. If I've interpreted your question correctly what you really want is to crop off the unsightly distortion, possibly re-centring the frame to leave equal-sized slim black bars at the sides but without stretching or contracting the remaining image. Unfortunately that facility isn't available in PD13. You either have to zoom the image out to 'lose' the affected area whilst maintaining aspect ratio, which as you've discovered will lose you some image all round the frame, or untick 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' then stretch and re-centre the image to 'lose' the area. If the distorted edge is not too wide you can probably do the latter without it being noticeable that the image is stretched.

Edit: One way you might be able to do it, albeit requiring a bit of trial and error, is you could place a black colour board in the Video 2 track then modify this to mask off one edge of the image then re-centre the image to leave an equal black bar at the other edge. I haven't tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Further edit: I have just tried it and it does work.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 12. 2016 17:25

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64