Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can someone duplicate this bug ? Text Opacity Keyframing
[Post New]
I believe this to be a bug, and would appreciate a confirmation.

I cannot fade in/out any text.

I use the Default text box, inserting text into it. I try to set the keyframe at the start for 100% Opacity, and set a Opacity keyframe at the end (or anywhere) for 0%.

Does not work. PD14 resets the opacity to 100% everywhere.

Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 03. 2016 12:22

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, it does work. Try following this.

Highlight your text box. Click MODIFY to open text designer. In the designer scroll down to OBJECT SETTINGS. Slide the opacity over to 100% and then click on the opacity diamond under the designer preview screen. This will tell the text to show at 100%. Now drag the designer scrubber over to the right hand side and decrease the opacity to 0%. Sliding the scrubber backwards and forwards you should see the text come and go - SAVE

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Clark711 -

Here, on Win10, it works exactly as Robert has described. Perhaps it's the Object Settings you're missing?

Here's a screen capture showing what happens - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxp60P6x4uM2WEljV0Ruc3p5bkU

Here's a title template made as you suggested - http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/124831151

I remember that this was an issue with early (beta) versions) of PDR13, but haven't seen it since.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Robert,

Thanks. I swear I did it exactly as you said. On two different computers.

But I will try again when I get home.

Clark
[Post New]
OK, I tried again this morning, doing "exactly" what I had done before, and "exactly" what Robert had outlined. And guess what ? You're correct. It worked this time. Go figure. cool

Operator-error, I guess.

And in case anyone (doubtful) would like to see the humorous (?), sarcastic (!) video that I created, here's the link.

https://youtu.be/FPkOM8kvdxY

May the Foath be with you !!!
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Good one, Clark Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Clark711!

Yep, you've got Tony's method to work, all well and good, and you've likely also had success using The Shadowman's method. Terrific!

Okay, just to advise, there is an inbuilt third option, thus:

1. After dropping the clip onto the timeline, to which you wish to add a title, open the "Title Room"(click on the "T") and a range of templates will be available, including two "defaults" one for 2D, the other for 3D, We'll ignore the 3D default for this exercise.

2. Drag the default "My Title" onto either the dedicated title track or Video Track 2(will work on either), edit your title(type in your desired title after right-clicking or selecting "Modify"), you can set the font style and size as well as colour, border & such(if you wish).

3. Once you have your title determined, you want it to fade in and out, at the top of the title designer window you'll have three tabs, labeled "Text", "Effect" and "Motion". Select "Effect". This will open up an alphabetised list, with thumbnails, of all effects for the title, but they'll be grouped under "Starting Effect" and "Ending Effect" which you may first have to open to see what's available. The may, alternately, automatically open.

4. Once opened, you can scroll through the effects in Starting or Ending Effects, you'll find a fade effect contained therein.

5. When you've applied it, you'll see, under the preview screen, an adjustment that lets you select how quickly or slowly the title fades in and out. You can, if you wish, make that adjustment, or simply leave it as it is, that's your choice.

There you have it, Clark, hope that's of use to you.

Cheers!

Neil.
[Post New]
Neil,

That really does help. I thank you loads.

I felt there had to be a built-in manner to have, for example, scrolling text. There it is, under "Effects". And all sorts of other options.

That opened a new chapter for me.

That's what I get for having this as a hobby. I don't spend enough time to learn all the options within PD14.

Thanks again,

Clark

PS. But I think I do make some decent, often fun videos.

Examples...

https://youtu.be/FPkOM8kvdxY

https://youtu.be/e2I3Yy-hIf0

And if/when I ever retire (70 and still full-time consultant Chemical Engineer), I'll try to made some earnings doing this. So far, none. : But then, I'm never bored, looking for something to do.

Website -- www.videosoflife.com

FB - fb.com/videosoflifebyclark
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Clark!

Glad to be of help!

Cheers!

Neil.
Russell1967
Senior Member Location: Kissimmee, Fl USA Joined: Aug 10, 2013 23:35 Messages: 165 Offline
[Post New]
Part of the confusion is that if you try to do the fade in/out keyframing in the Title Designer under "Border" and/or "Font Face", it will do as the original poster said. A good rule of thumb is that if the property doesn't have the keyframe symbols next to it in the left pane (the stopwatch icon, the "jump to previous/next keyframe" and the "create or delete" keyframe), it won't work. It will SEEM to work while you're doing it, though, until you move the play head and see...

Speaking of this, it would be a nice addition if PD would allow you to change the opacity of a clip at whatever points you want right on the timeline without going into one of the Designer modules first. Strangely, you CAN do this once you set up the opacity keyframes in one of the Designer modules, but not on title clips for some reason.

Russell1967

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2016 15:57

System specs: Windows 7 Professional x64; Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with i5-3579K 3.8Ghz processor with 32GB RAM; Zotac GTX 760 w/4GB; 1xWestern Digital 1TB 10,000RPM HD; 1x Samsung 840 Pro SSD System Drive