Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Iris transitions?
Zorikh [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 05, 2015 20:33 Messages: 99 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. I am using PD13 on my Windows 10 on my Asus laptop. I am almost done with my 3-hour epic documentary, and the perfect finish would be an iris fadeout on one guy's face. You know, like in the old silent movies whare the screen goes black as a circle gets smaller and smaller on one character's face. I can't seem to find that kind of a transition in the transition room. Is there a place to find such a thing or a way to make it? Zorikh
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Zorikh

Here's a suggestion that you MAY or may not be able to utilise:

Go to TRANSITIONS and select ALPHA transitions. Select the STAR, right click MODIFY TEMPLATE. This transition zooms out, so we need to make it zoom in. Under the preview screen you will see a white progression line. Reverse this, ie "left side up" "right side down". The transition will now zoom in to centre as you require. Save and try it.

On inspection of the Alphas you made find one more suitable to you needs

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I just tried that star and it works perfect as a reverse transition as instructed by the Shadowman. You did say that you want a circle one. I have it and it’s was created by a user and uploaded to the DZ. Here is the link: http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/135982273 .

Let us know if these are satisfactory for your needs. laughing
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
You will need to place the transition that tomasc has suggested to the LEFT of the split on the timeline and, most likely, increase the duration to about 15 seconds.

Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! It works perfectly! I will be able top use this for a lot of things!

Next questions: Now that we have that, is there any way to set the location of the center of the circle? I mean, what if the subject I want to close in on is on the lower-fight of the screen, not the center. Is there a thing for that, or would htat be some sort of more sophisticated transition template or program? Zorikh
The Shadowman
[Post New]
May be someone else will have an idea how to do what you require, but after many attempts I failed miserably.

My approach was to create a totally transparent file with Paint, import it into PD and use it it as a PIP. The plan was to have the transition placed on the transparent PIP clip, produced as an MP4, and thus it could be moved wherever required in the project. While this worked very well, to an extent*, with a PIP file that was not transparent, no matter how I tried the transition wouldn't work on a transparent file.

*The base file in the PIP MUST be transparent, otherwise when the transition is moved the base file moves too which clearly shows in the overall project.

Any ideas, people of the forum?

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You can find pre-produced iris transitions on YouTube, and chroma out the background. Also try a Google Image search for iris wipe, etc. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Might be able to also create this sort of transition with initially creating a 'circular grey-scale' ... if that makes sense? Draw several circles (like in GIMP or some other drawing editor) and color each section 'more darkly'..... center circle to be black and the outer most one white. Then use a gaussian blur to blur all the variations of grey. Result is a smooth appearing white to black image - white at edges - black in center.

I was playing with this a while ago - forget if the transition goes from white to black or vice versa. But - you get the idea - and I think you can reverse the motion if needed.

But all that everyone else has mentioned - I'm sure that works - choose the method that is easiest for you to execute.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2016 09:25

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: May be someone else will have an idea how to do what you require, but after many attempts I failed miserably.
Any ideas, people of the forum?
Robert

Your idea works if either the xp version of paint or paintnet is used. Unfortunately the newer versions of paint doesn't support the transparency you need.

Barry's idea is valid as I have downloaded and tried them in the past. The links were supplied on YT.

The Camera Iris transition from the DZ can be easily modified to accomplish what the OP want. Attached is a screen capture showing that transition modified to close the circle on the motorcycle rider in the upper left of the sample files. Same principle to go to the lower right of whatever person. See the attached screen recording on a previous sample project.

Let us know if this is helps. laughing
 Filename
Camera Iris.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Modify the Camera Iris transition circle to close elsewhere.
 Filesize
5515 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
295 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all -

I'll post this anyway, even though tomasc has just made the same suggestion of cropping/shifting the image in Transition Designer.

Here's one I just modified from Joseph's original transition - http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/124831203

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Following Barry's green screen camera iris suggestion, I found this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtnKmxW70Ys

For some reason it has green & blue screen, which would require splitting the clip. I made it all green (attached)

Unfortunately, that idea lacks the flexibility of being able to shift the focus area.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
GS_Camera Iris.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1648 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
199 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2016 14:46

The Shadowman
[Post New]
Good work tomasc & Tony. I'm sure the op will enjoy using that.

tomasc: I didn't realise there were different type of transparency. Thanks for your research.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This is one of those great quick threads that expose several ways to "skin a cat". It's a theme throughout the world of editing. Go over, through, around, under, all different means to an end. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Here you go Barry - a sort of summary of the above...

This hastily thrown together video shows:

1. Iris transition

2. Iris transition inverted

3. Iris transitions set as postfix & prefix

4. Chroma keyed green screen video

5. Animated object - http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/124831205

6. Alpha channel video

Cheers - Tony
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Ewwwwwww! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony – You do produce the best camera shutter transitions. You outdid yourself this time around. The TF_Aperature Slow in PD Toots is 24.2 MB while your remarkably similar Camera Shutter is only 1.3 MB in size which is 18 times smaller and does the same job.

I love cats. sealed
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
He reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live skit of Wayne's World - tomasc..... "I'm NOT WORTHY".... lol... sighs.. nice summation of iris and shutters Tony!

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Zorikh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, guys! This is awesome! Zorikh