Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Wacom tablet?
Kimsie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 19, 2016 09:23 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Is it possible to use a Wacom tablet to paint in powerdirector? I am not good at drawing with a mouse.

Thanks
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Is it possible to use a Wacom tablet to paint in powerdirector? I am not good at drawing with a mouse.

Thanks

There at least 8 Wacom tablets. What did Wacom say?

Why can't you use the included software?

Please explain a little more abou what you want to paint in PD 7.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 30. 2016 11:40

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Is it possible to use a Wacom tablet to paint in powerdirector? I am not good at drawing with a mouse.

Thanks

Well, Kimsie, you could always try a rat!(ha-ha) But seriously, these "tablet" devices, do they have enough "oomph" to run a programme like Power Director? Obviously the only way to install would be by download as these devices have no disc drive(I've seen one belonging to a friend) I think these tablets were designed for limited usage, I somehow don't think they were designed to be used like a desktop or laptop computer.

Neil.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
God help me...
The tablet would be used as a drawing pad with a stylus rather than using a mouse. A quick search found this...http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27428.page
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kimsie,

It is possible to use a Wacom tablet as an input device in conjunction with PowerDirector's drawing feature. It is probably better than using the mouse. However, you may still find it difficult to draw nicely enough. In my experience, you need to be able to watch your hand as you are drawing. This must be the brain wiring developed in childhood and reenforced in later life. I suppose you could perhaps unlearn having to watch your hand but I think it is much easier for most people to use a touchscreen for drawing digitally. I've been considering to get one of these tablet computers with touchscreen but haven't really tried one for this yet…

Jirka
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Wacom Sapphire tablet and use it occasionally. It is perfectly possible to use it in place of a mouse in any software. However, it is an old model and there are no up to date drivers for it and functionality is limited e.g. stylus pressure is not detected i.e. I can't press on harder for a thicker line as I could when it was new (under WinXP).
Kimsie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 19, 2016 09:23 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for all your replies. I feel silly saying this, but it was actually working with my Powerdirector program, but I hadn't used the tablet for a while and I didn't realize that it was set to move the mouse on my computer screen instead of on the tablet itself.

It works fine.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Just for those who may not understand: a Wacom tablet is NOT a tablet computer. It is an input device, used with a stylus, to allow you to draw as you would with a pencil or brush as input to your computer software (instead of using a mouse). Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kimsie -

Glad you got it sorted.

Like Longedge, I only use mine occasionally, but my Intuos Pro Medium interfaces perfectly with PDR & other software. The only drawback here is the skill of the user!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kimsie,
The downside for me with a tablet was the screen resolution/monitor size/screen size v the tablet drawing area being smaller and the stencil movements having to be significantly less than the mouse movement. It wasn't the fact the stencil gave finite movement, it was the difference in size of the two areas.
There were probably adjustments in the software to allow for these differences, I just didn't find any.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2016 03:28

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Just for those who may not understand: a Wacom tablet is NOT a tablet computer. It is an input device, used with a stylus, to allow you to draw as you would with a pencil or brush as input to your computer software (instead of using a mouse).

Dan,

Thanks for clearing that up! With technology such as it is these days, and the terminology used to describe it, one could be forgiven for some degree of confusion when one product is referred to as a "tablet" that fulfills one function, then along comes another product, also referred to as a "tablet" but fulfills another function entirely. And that's the trap I've fallen into(Mia Culpa). I assumed, because this Waco(brand name, I assume) product was referred to as a "tablet" I thought it to be a tablet computer.

Guess that's one "tablet" that's going to take a heck of a lot of water to wash it down! Ha-ha!

Cheers!

Neil.

(Once again I have to copy my post and re-enter it due to sluggishness in the save process on this forum).
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Neil -

Words again! ... and I realise it was just a typo.

Just for clarity: Waco is a city in Texas, made infamous by "that" seige. Wacom is a Japanese company that makes interactive pen tablets and other devices.

Since you already understood that "tablet" had more than one meaning i.e small computer/round pill/stone with writing etc., it is incorrect to assume that any use of the word "tablet" refers to a particular meaning.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Neil -

Words again! ... and I realise it was just a typo.

Just for clarity: Waco is a city in Texas, made infamous by "that" seige. Wacom is a Japanese company that makes interactive pen tablets and other devices.

Since you already understood that "tablet" had more than one meaning i.e small computer/round pill/stone with writing etc., it is incorrect to assume that any use of the word "tablet" refers to a particular meaning.

Cheers - Tony

Yes Tony, I missed on the 'M'! Blame it on "keyboard gremlins". Sometimes when typing you strike the letter on the keyboard and it doesn't register.... result: a face full of egg!(I'll have mine scrambled, thanks - ha-ha) Anywhay, I was haing a bit of fun with the terminology... just my warped sense of humour!

Cheers!

Neil.