Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
stuttering playback in preview pane.
NomadicBroos [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 12, 2016 01:49 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
My operating system is a dell inspiron i5 7557 gaming laptop with intel i7 processor, 256GB SSD drive, 16GB DDR Ram, Nvidia geforce GTX 960M 4GB graphic card.

My video camera is set to record 24 frames per second, 1920X1080 resolution.

When I import video into PD 14 all is well. As soon as I do any kind of fix/enhance editing whether in PD14 or colourdirector, the playback then jumps and stutters even after production.

Any ideas ?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Did you miss a typo? You cannot have an i5 and an i7 in the same machine. Could you mean a 15" laptop?
To go on, any fixes/enhances, stabilizing, alteration is going to force your machine to work harder. Pile up all those fixes one atop the other and many machines will struggle mightily.
Would you please attach your dxdiag for us to look at? It will help analyze the hardware and drivers of your machine. In the meantime do you have your PREFERENCES in PD set to activate your machine's available power?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 28. 2016 17:57

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That studdering is expected on that laptop. If the actual produced file is 1920x1080/p24 with a bitrate no greater than 28Mbps then that rendered file should play back smoothly on wmp, vlc, or the timeline of PD14.

The Dell Inspiron 15 7557 is a 2 year old laptop that can have either an i5 or 17 cpu. See this doc: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-15-7557-laptop/manuals .

There are the typos that Barry pointed out already. laughing
NomadicBroos [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry but I'm new to all this. Its definitely an i7 processor, I don't know what dxdiag is and I don't know if the preferences in PD should be set to. Thanks.
NomadicBroos [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, the laptop is a 7559 not 7.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
See this sticky and supply part B: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45453.page . This is what Barry and others need to help you.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
7559 and not 7557. That typo cause me to look up the wrong computer. Oh well...
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
NomadicBroos,
the dxdiag is pretty easy, you'll figure it out no problem, use the link. As for the PREFERENCES, first...
click on the GEAR thingy at the top top of your PowerDirector interface. That will open the Preferences dialogue.
Click on Hardware Acceleration tab and "tick" the boxes to activate them.
Now click on the PRODUCE tab and tick-on all those boxes. Some may be greyed-out and not available, depending on hardware, etc.
Also, in PREFERENCES, you can click on GENERAL, the top tab, and activate SHADOW FILES. Shadow files are lo-resolution copies of whatever Hi-resolution (HD) video media is in your project LIBRARY. When you activate the creation of those copies you will see, in your Library media, little yellow arrows on your HD clips. This indicates the shadow files are being created. It is recommended that you do not edit your project until all those yellow arrows turn GREEN. At this point you can begin to drag media into your project timeline.
To let you know, those shadow files being lo-resolution, will temporarily replace your original files, just for the task of editing. It is much easier for your computer to process lo-res files, especially after they have been fixed or altered with lighting, color, speed, FX, etc. When you are ready to PRODUCE your project, the computer will "magically" know to use the real original media files and retain the HD quality.
Read this post a few times, it'll be clear! I hate overlong posting...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 28. 2016 19:23

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry, tomasc & NomadicBroos -

Damn! I was just going to cut loose with an overly long, unnecessarily circuitous post...

Maybe it's this one? http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-15-7559-Notebook-Review.154635.0.html That shows the basic specs anway.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
And...I didn't even mention the PLAYBACK WINDOW PREVIEW QUALITY can be adjusted to increasingly crappier levels of resolution to reduce the strain on the system. NomadicBroos, the Preview quality control is under the Preview Window (of course), it looks like a square with a few lines in it and it is tucked between the camera icon and the audio icon. Preview Quality can only be adjusted if there is a media file (picture/photo/video) in a timeline. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
MattC [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 03, 2016 12:12 Messages: 102 Offline
[Post New]
I have a similar problem with the jumpiness of the preview which causes difficulty in judging exact timing for a cut - although the rendered version is fine. And I can accept that it's the low speed of my machine. However, changing the preview quality makes absolutely no difference to the jumpiness. The one thing that seems to reduce the jumpiness is when PDR has finished creating any shadow files. This releases some of the processing power back to the main programme.

Matt

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2016 00:36

PDR14; Win10-x64; i7-6700; 3.4GHz; 16GB RAM; plenty of HDD space; AMD Radeon R5 330.
NomadicBroos [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi guys, thank you all for your help. I think I've sorted things out. On closer inspection the playback in the preview window was ok. The jumping started after rendering. I noticed that the output was set to 1920x1080 25fps whereas my video was shot at 24 fps. I changed the frame rate of the render and everything seems perfect. Does this make sense ?