Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 16 & PowerDVD 15 will not run with Nvidia GeForce graphic card
DATAVIEWER [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 11, 2016 23:25 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Everyone,

I have just purchased a brand new Windows 10 HP Envy notebook 17t. There are both Intel HD & Nvidia GeForce graphic cards in the system. However... the PowerDVD won't let me select the Nvidia graphic card for playing the HD movies. It always get stucked with the Intel HD onboard graphic card.

I have tried all possible setting methods from Nvidia Control Panel, but... NO success..!!!

Can you help?

Thank you all!

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jun 12. 2016 19:13

[Post New]
Hi DATAVIEWER,

It seems you have a Windows 10 hybrid Intel + NVIDIA VGA platform.

PowerDVD supports video and movie playback feature under both Intel and NVIDIA VGA platform.

But, the right/access to launch programs with certain graphic processor is managed by graphic processor's hardware driver exclusively.

It could be the restriction from the hardware side.

You may consult the VGA vendor for further technical information/support.

Greetings
Chuck
DATAVIEWER [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Chuck,

Thank you very much for your response.

Regarding switching dedicated Nvidia Graphic Card, I don't have any problems with the following Media Players for choosing "High Performance Nvidia GPU" for decoding the HD movies... such as KMPlayer, JRiver Media Center, PotPlayer, DVDFab Media Player.
Only Cyberlink PowerDVD doesn't let me select it - This option was completely grey out..!

I believed there must be something wrong from PowerDVD..!?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2016 13:25

BJ12 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Arizon USA Joined: Aug 11, 2011 13:40 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Dataviewer,

I had one of the first laptops that ran dual graphics, a Delll XP L501X, which was back when PDVD9 was out, grayed out choice. The next year I upgradedd to the new model L502X, also grayed out as a choice. I went round and round on this. Best explanation was that the Nvidia driver is modified by the laptop manufacturer and won't allow that selectioin. I tried everything, including buying newer and full version of PDVD licenses, and updating Dell drivers constantly.

Cyberlink said it was Dell manufacturer, Dell said it was Nvidia, Nvidia said it was Dell, and so on. Even Right clicking PDVD and selecting "Run With High Performance Graphics" did not work. If I remember correctly, the only way it worked was if an external monitor or TV was connected with the HDMI port then I could activate Nvidia graphics to run PDVD.

Bottom line - the intergrated HD graphics card will handle any video you throw at your laptop screen (within its resolution). However, if you are pushing that video signal to a TV or other external monitor, the Nvidai software SHOULD allow to select the higher horsepower Nvidia card, but only if using HDMI cable. In fact, Nvida takes over running both audio and video when using HDMI. Make sure when you install Nvidia driver software you select both "Video Driver" and "HD Audio Driver".

Oh, years ago when this was a hot topic I remember reading a thread - something about Dolby not being licensed on the specific hardware device inside the Dell laptop, thus the restriction. took it with a grain of salt, but had some merit.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 03. 2016 13:39

DATAVIEWER [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello BJ12,

Thank you very much for your response.

I will try that to see if it work..!?

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jan 04. 2017 14:29

Stuart4810 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2015 05:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Everyone. I have a problem with the latest iteration of PowerDVD and Nvidia graphic card.

My system is desktop with Intel i7 @2600 cpu, 4 gig memory, Nvidia GTX 970 and a Samsung S27D590CS monitor.

The problem is that whenever I update the Nvidia drivers I have to re-install PowerDVD to be able to play Blu-Ray discs.

Both the card and the screen are compatible with Blu-Ray but PowerDVD keeps refusing to see that until I re-install the software.

Has anyone else suffered from this malaise, if so, how did you get round it?

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have found the answer to my problem. I was using a HDMI to HDMI cable from Vid. Card to screen. Nvidia control panel showed that it was HDCP complient but PowerDVD did not recognise it until I re-installed the software.

I changed the cable to a DVI to HDMI and all seems to be fine.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 21. 2016 20:17

DATAVIEWER [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hey Dataviewer,

I had one of the first laptops that ran dual graphics, a Delll XP L501X, which was back when PDVD9 was out, grayed out choice. The next year I upgradedd to the new model L502X, also grayed out as a choice. I went round and round on this. Best explanation was that the Nvidia driver is modified by the laptop manufacturer and won't allow that selectioin. I tried everything, including buying newer and full version of PDVD licenses, and updating Dell drivers constantly.

Cyberlink said it was Dell manufacturer, Dell said it was Nvidia, Nvidia said it was Dell, and so on. Even Right clicking PDVD and selecting "Run With High Performance Graphics" did not work. If I remember correctly, the only way it worked was if an external monitor or TV was connected with the HDMI port then I could activate Nvidia graphics to run PDVD.

Bottom line - the intergrated HD graphics card will handle any video you throw at your laptop screen (within its resolution). However, if you are pushing that video signal to a TV or other external monitor, the Nvidai software SHOULD allow to select the higher horsepower Nvidia card, but only if using HDMI cable. In fact, Nvida takes over running both audio and video when using HDMI. Make sure when you install Nvidia driver software you select both "Video Driver" and "HD Audio Driver".

Oh, years ago when this was a hot topic I remember reading a thread - something about Dolby not being licensed on the specific hardware device inside the Dell laptop, thus the restriction. took it with a grain of salt, but had some merit.

Well... I just tried to hook up the HDMI cable between the HP laptop and TV and guess what..? The PowerDVD still does NOT work with Nvidia graphic card by using "Run With High Performance Graphics"

[It ONLY work with the default intergarated INTEL graphic card]

Hello CyberLink, Can you help..!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2017 14:39

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
I think PowerDVD does support NV cards.
But, for dual graphic PC, the VGA driver or PC should be the dominant to control the program to run with NV GPU or integrated GPU.

I don't understand that the NV card or the laptop doesn't let PD run with NV, but a player software can deal with it forcefully?
It doesn't make good sense.

Fyr, my ASUS laptop allows PowerDVD to run with NV card no matter with or w/o HDMI output.
(Intel graphic + NV graphic)
Bignill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2016 00:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
[quotePostId=267045]I think PowerDVD does support NV cards.
But, for dual graphic PC, the VGA driver or PC should be the dominant to control the program to run with NV GPU or integrated GPU.

I don't understand that the NV card or the laptop doesn't let PD run with NV, but a player software can deal with it forcefully?
It doesn't make good sense.

Fyr, my ASUS laptop allows PowerDVD to run with NV card no matter with or w/o HDMI output.
(Intel graphic + NV graphic)[/quotePostId]

I have a Lenovo gaming laptop with Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m and Intel HD Graphics 530. Power DVD 15 is forcing me to use Intel HD Graphics 530 and there is no option to use the Nvidia graphics card. Furthermore when I try to switch the graphis card through the Nvidia control panel Power DVD is greyed out. Im not even a gamer I bought this laptop just to watch movies in my home theater via HDMI and I bought Power DVD to play certain formats in 7.1 surround sound. The fact that I cant switch between graphic cards is very upsetting to say the least.
DATAVIEWER [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a Lenovo gaming laptop with Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m and Intel HD Graphics 530. Power DVD 15 is forcing me to use Intel HD Graphics 530 and there is no option to use the Nvidia graphics card. Furthermore when I try to switch the graphis card through the Nvidia control panel Power DVD is greyed out. Im not even a gamer I bought this laptop just to watch movies in my home theater via HDMI and I bought Power DVD to play certain formats in 7.1 surround sound. The fact that I cant switch between graphic cards is very upsetting to say the least.

====================================

That's EXACTLY what happened to me..!!!

This option was completely greyed-out whenever I choose CyberLink PowerDVD.

I have NO problems what so ever with PotPlayer, DVDFab Media Player, KMPlayer, JRiver Media Center, etc.

Hello CyberLink! Can you help..?
[I ONLY have such problems with your product/CyberLink PowerDVD 15 & 16]

Thank you very much.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jan 19. 2017 09:01

Hicham_B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jun 09, 2015 04:02 Messages: 1347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi DATAVIEWER,

Could you share with us some screenshots for the “switch option greyed out” condition?

Right-clicking the PDVD desktop icon -> An option lets you run with NVIDIA graphic or Intel integrated graphic. NVIDIA control panel can be configured to use which graphic to output display. (This setting can let PDVD use NVIDIA graphic)

Greetings

Hicham Technical support:
EN: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
DE: https://de.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
FR: https://fr.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp
ES: https://es.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp