Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
MP4 Loses Its Audio When Added to Timeline
GollyRojer
Newbie Location: Dallas TX Joined: May 05, 2016 14:10 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I've attached a zip file containing three files:

• a screenshot of PowerDirector which shows the problem

• a 4-second MP4 with audio; in the PD screenshot it has no audio

• a dxdiag log file

The problem is that when I add an MP4 file to the timeline, sometimes it has no audio--nothing appears in the audio track, and no sound plays in preview. When the file is not on the timeline, but in the media room, it can be previewed and the audio will play.

This doesn't happen with every file. As the screenshot shows, some files have audio. These files were all shot at the same time with the same camera--a Samsung Galaxy S6 smartphone. No settings were changed on the camera between recordings.

Here is my system and app information:

• OS - Windows 10

• PD - Deluxe 14.0.2820.0

• SR - VDE160411-01

• AntiVirus - McAfee LiveSafe

Thanks ahead of time for your help.
 Filename
FredSawtelle_PDFiles.zip
[Disk]
 Description
Zip containing screenshot, MP4 and dxdiag log.
 Filesize
7741 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
344 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi GollyRojer,
Thanks for the zip file, excellent presentation of data and info.
I cant replicate the issue, the mp4 displays and the audio is ok for me. Perhaps another member can have a go and try and duplicate your issue.

I'll pass the data onto CyberLink, to see if they can replicate.

Dafydd
GollyRojer
[Post New]
Thank you for looking at it, Dafydd B. I will try a suggestion from one of your posts, to uninstall and reinstall PD. I don't have much hope for this, but at present it's all I know to do. I hope Cyberlink or another member will be able to find something. Your involvement is certainly appreciated.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]

I did not have the issue with the audio, sorry.

Why do you have Speech Recognization turned on in Windows? I see that there have been problems with it - see the end of the dxdiag file.
[Thumb - audio.png]
 Filename
audio.png
[Disk]
 Description
Audio
 Filesize
62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
184 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 06. 2016 13:27

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
GollyRojer
[Post New]
Thanks, Steve. Speech Recognition isn't turned on, or at least shouldn't be. In the control panel app I am offered the option, "Start Speech Recognition", which I take to mean it isn't running. I would guess that the trouble the dxdiag reports is from when I was experimenting with the audio jacks on my computer, trying to find one that works with a mic only. Two of the jacks (on front and on back) are for headphones with a mic, and one is for mic only (I learned this by trial and error). So the errors shown are probably from when I was using the "Set up microphone" feature of the control panel app, and it wasn't finding a mic to set up because I was in the wrong jack.
GollyRojer
[Post New]
Well, I removed PD14 using Revo Uninstaller to go after and clean out all the registry and file dregs left behind. Got a clean reinstall, but not everything had been wiped because the new install knew what/where my previous projects were (sigh). And, the problem is still present.

However, I have an installation of PD on an older, less powerful machine, so I loaded my files into it and the problem was not present. Yay!

The issue isn't resolved because of this; I bought this machine with badass video capability specifically to make videos on it. But at least I'm able to work on my projects while I try to get this one to behave.

Thanks for responding, guys.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks, Steve. Speech Recognition isn't turned on, or at least shouldn't be. In the control panel app I am offered the option, "Start Speech Recognition", which I take to mean it isn't running. I would guess that the trouble the dxdiag reports is from when I was experimenting with the audio jacks on my computer, trying to find one that works with a mic only. Two of the jacks (on front and on back) are for headphones with a mic, and one is for mic only (I learned this by trial and error). So the errors shown are probably from when I was using the "Set up microphone" feature of the control panel app, and it wasn't finding a mic to set up because I was in the wrong jack.
If you look at the color of the audio jacks, the pink jack is the microphone, the green jack is for headphone (on the front panel).

Rear jacks have a different use. You have to check your computer manual for use and color of jack. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

GollyRojer
[Post New]
Thanks, Carl. Heh... both of them on front are red. On back I have blue, green and pink, and yes, pink is the one where the mic works.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi GollyRojer,
Some of the residual locations:
C:\Users\YourPC\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\14.0
C:\Users\YourPC\AppData\Local\Cyberlink\PowerDirector\14.0
C:\Users\YourPC\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\14.0
Alter your documents View settings to display hidden folders and locations to access some of the local addresses given here.

Some Regedit residual locations:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/CyberLink/PowerDirector 14
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/PowerDirector 14***
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/CyberLink/PowerDirector 14
RegEdit is accesses with a right click at the "start" position, bottom left in W10 and selecting "run" and typing in "RegEdit".

Making registry deletions are at your own risk. Removing data from your computer,, after an uninstall, is at your own risk.
PowerDirector 14 re-install, does NOT over-write all previous content.
Dafydd

Edits: just giving more data.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 08. 2016 01:45

GollyRojer
[Post New]
Dafydd B, I must have missed the notice of your reply. Just now found it. Thanks! I will follow up and see what happens.

Where I'm at right now is, on my slow computer I open PD, load in all the vids, and add them to the timeline. All the files get saved on an external drive accessible by anything on my network. Then I can go to the fast computer to do all the editing. As long as they're already on the timeline there's no problem.

Annoying and slow, but at least I'm able to work. I appreciate your help.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi GollyRojer -

I know this is of no help, but (like Steve & Dafydd) your clip plays fine here. The audio is displayed in the timeline and plays back correctly on any PC I throw it at!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!