Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Do Video Converters Degrade the Original Clip's Resolution or Quality?
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I've uninstalled QuickTime since the latest notification of the security vulnerabilities were broadcast. My problem is that the FujiFIlm XP70 that I have captures in MOV-QT format. So if I try to drag and drop them into a timeline in a project, I get the expected error - attachment Err1.

So I thought a work around would be to convert the MOV to a different mp4 format. I went to this site "http://www.online-convert.com/result/579e2f69011a9f547ac03bcb6a2a771d" and converted the MOV to a mp4 file. MediaInfo taken before and after the conversion confirms that this happens. I can then successfully drag and drop the converted mp4 file into the PD13 timeline and work with it from there.

But I get to thinking and wonder if any sharpness, resolution or clarity of the original clip is reduced in the process. Does any of that happen due to codecs used in the conversion process? Am I even asking this previous question properly? - if not, please educate me so I don't sound so ignorant in asking such things.

Thanks

CS
 Filename
Err1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
75 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 26. 2016 09:05

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
answer is YES and Yes.

converting one container, MOV, to others, MP4, and between the codecs will degrade to a 'level of the conversion'.

for me, I still use Samsung movie converter v1.0.0.13 or Rockymountains movie converter v0.2.02.0 to

convert H.265 to H.264 at HQ setting with high bitrate. example original H.265 MP4 bitrate @ 50Mb/sec

after the conversion, it comes out to 160 - 200Mb/sec H.264 MP4. too low or too high bitrate also sucks.

in the process, I do lose slightly video sharpness and saturation.

How? just play the converted and original side by side...

you can also try free converter HandBrake!

FYI, I have a slow PC.

when the video bitrate is huge, ex. 4K @200Mb/sec, then the PD struggles to render on the preview pane.

I do a work around. creating FHD video is extra time spent but it makes the editing much smoother and faster.

after editing is done then save and close the PD. move the FHD video to different folder and place the converted

video with same file name as FHD to the folder you've just worked on. open the .PDS file. PD loads and produces

your 4K masterpiece.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 26. 2016 20:43

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Any file converter can cause a loss because of rerendering. Converting mov to mp4 can be lossless if you are only changing the container of the video file and not the encoding. PD14 of at least the last 3 builds can do a lossless conversion of mov to mp4 because svrt can be available.

The online conveter you used in that link read that the file is deleted at your request so we don’t have a sample to check out for you. I would think that the bitrate must be reduced to allow a faster transmission speed.

Users in this forum like to use handbrake, a freeware to do the conversion. Apple QT Pro for $30 claim to be able to do it as a lossless conversion and as do some others. We find that it isn’t the case on the pc version for all mov file types to import to PD. PD14 lossless conversion is not available for all mov files.

Wow, let’s hope that this post does not turn into another stinkburger like the 37 thread one you visited lately. Other users and contributors may be able to suggest a lossless mov to mp4 converter that works and is freeware.

I see that PepsiMan has responded while I was still typing. He is right.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
PepsiMan - tomasc

Thanks for the replies.

PepsiMan- I'm guessing that Samsung movie converter v1.0.0.13 or Rockymountains movie converter v0.2.02.0 are a 'pay to play' sort of software. Probably worth it in the long run but I gotta try to do the cheap thing at least once (freeware versions of similar software).

Sorry about that tomasc - I usually delete stuff I upload after I get my result. However, I just converted another file and left it there if you wanted to try dld'g it and see how it holds up.

I think it should be at: http://www.online-convert.com/result/706634005b1757584658f7786f1e8229

This is a different file/video clip than the one in the OP. It is NOT a very good video but the benefit of this one is that it is only 9 seconds in duration!

I've seen the mention of handbrake before in this forum - will check that out. So are you saying Handbrake does a lossless conversion from MOV to mp4???

tomasc mentioned that "Converting mov to mp4 can be lossless if you are only changing the container of the video file and not the encoding." - so this begs the question: Does online-convert do this container change without encoding (or would this be re-encoding???) ?

THanks again guys.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
CS2014
[Post New]
Just saw the MediaInfo on the converted file and it doesn't look good for it being close to the original as far as the numbers appear.

Original clip: file size-14.2MB, overall bit rate-13.2 Mbps, FOrmat profile - QT, Codec ID- qt 0000.00 (qt)

COnverted clip: fs - 9MB, overall bit rate- 8.358 Mbps, FOrmat Profile - Base Media, Codec ID- isom(isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Have you thought of trying optodata's Magic+PD? The conversion is to AVI and lossless. You can download the trial version that has a watermark just to test it. If it doesn't work for you there's nothing lost.

You can then produce to whatever format suits you. The only down side is the large size of the AVI file, but you just delete them when you have finished your project.

Worth a shot, CS

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
CS2014
[Post New]
Up till this point I haven't really felt like I had the 'need' to use the Magic+PD Robert. I'm not processing 4k (yet... and probably a long time away form doing this) - but I've seen the comments on the assistance it has on that sort of processing.

So the Magic+PD can take a MOV file input and convert to AVI? I don't mind the temporary file size issue. This might address the preview 'glitchiness' that I experience with large projects in previewing them also.

Just might have to take a look at it when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion Robert!

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27. 2016 12:21

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Just tried it with a .MOV and it works perfectly.

If you need any help you know where I am. Download from here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46177.page Make sure you take the correct bit version for your machine (see snapshot)

Robert
[Thumb - MPD.png]
 Filename
MPD.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
96 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
79 time(s)
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
CS2014
[Post New]
May just give that a 'whirl' when I return home next week. Thanks Robert for the info and offer if I have any issues. THanks again.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
PepsiMan- I'm guessing that Samsung movie converter v1.0.0.13 or Rockymountains movie converter v0.2.02.0 are a 'pay to play' sort of software. Probably worth it in the long run but I gotta try to do the cheap thing at least once (freeware versions of similar software)...

CS

RockyMountains movie converter is free. download from -> https://sourceforge.net/projects/rockymountainsmovieconverter/

choose your OS.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1