Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
All new videos black?
JonathanS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2016 19:53 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
In the last two days, I upgraded the RAM in my desktop computer from 12 GB to 32 GB, and I updated PowerDirector 14 to the latest version (14.0.2820.0). However, instead of working better than ever before, now all newer videos have a black screen with their audio running in the background? Here's a timeline:

5/13 - Produced a working video in H.264 HEVC

5/15 - Produced three small videos in H.264 HEVC. I cannot recall if I tested on the desktop, but they worked on another computer.

5/19 - Updated PowerDirector. Installed new RAM.

5/19 - Produced further videos in H.264 HEVC that no longer work on the desktop (but work on other devices).

5/20 - Updated video card to latest driver. No effect.

The videos from 5/15 and 5/19 no longer display correctly on this machine - just the black screen with sound in the background. The video from 5/13, however, still plays just fine. I don't remember any difference in my settings between 5/13 and 5/15. What's going on? Why are only these files coming out black, but not older files?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Since you are able to produce h.264 video that works in another device then there is no problem with your encoding software. Try viewing those files with vlc.

You may have made a mistake. H.265 is HEVC not H.264.
JonathanS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2016 19:53 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks tomasc, but why would an older file be playable while a newer file would not?

... unless you hit the nail on the head and the previous files were created with H.264 AVC, because after some experimentation, I earlier found out that H.265 HEVC was not supported natively in Windows 10...

Yeah, that would do it. Thanks for reminding me!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2016 15:41