Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerTools on Multiple Clips
JonathanS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2016 19:53 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
My camera chops longer recording sessions into multiple clips. I'd like to be able to apply PowerTools consistently to the whole recording, but I can only do one clip at a time. In particular, I'd like for the zoom/crop setting at the end of one clip to transfer to the next clip, so that I am not drawing the new one by hand and the seam can go unnoticed. How can this be accomplished?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2016 03:15

JonathanS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Anyone?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My camera chops longer recording sessions into multiple clips. I'd like to be able to apply PowerTools consistently to the whole recording, but I can only do one clip at a time. In particular, I'd like for the zoom/crop setting at the end of one clip to transfer to the next clip, so that I am not drawing the new one by hand and the seam can go unnoticed. How can this be accomplished?
My camera does also. It is because of the FAT32 format of the SD card.

EDIT: Jeff is correct, the camera's firmware decides the size of the clips. (My Canon does 1 GB clips).

You could produce the camera clips into one long video. Edit the one video.

That way you can apply any changes to the whole Clip/Video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2016 10:15

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JonathanS [Avatar]
[Post New]
I was hoping not to have to produce the video twice - wouldn't that degrade the quality? Also, would using a different format on the SD card change anything?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2016 01:32

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I was hoping not to have to produce the video twice - wouldn't that degrade the quality? Also, would using a different format on the SD card change anything?

If one just puts the video clips on the timeline and "Produces" with the "Intelligent SVRT" option if a PD suggested format is available will result in minimal change in quality. SVRT for the most part does not encode again, just a small slice at the splice of each file. Another option is to use a third party utility to just combine the clips, tsMuxerGUI or others work, even a DOS command may work depending on source footage format.

The splitting of video format is not because of the FAT32 format of the SD card, it's a feature of the camera firmware. A FAT32 format supports a single file to 4GB, your video files are probably split into 2GB chunks. A different format of the card will do nothing as the camera will reformat for it's need.

Jeff
JonathanS [Avatar]
[Post New]
The clips that the camera creates are massive MOV files, exactly 3,605,376 KB, and only 18 min long each (1920x1080p, 30fps, audio at 48kHz and 2304Kbps).

When I attempt "Intelligent SVRT", I get a message "No SVRT profiles available for the current project." I have not once been able to use "Fast video rendering technology", or "Hardware video encoder".

A 24 minute movie requires 90 minutes to two hours of time to produce on my system (core i5 processor, second gen, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6800 graphics card with 1GB dedicated RAM).

After producing the video into (about 5GB of raw MOV files) using HEVC, the filesize is only 1.6GB large - so I know there is some hefty compression going on. Is there something else going on?

Because these are recordings of live music, I'm very hesitant about a loss of quality, especially audio quality.

I will look into that tsMuxerGUI, though, it sounds promising.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
tsmuxerGUI won't add MOV files, only (ts) transport streams files.

Probably be best to add a small 5-10 sec raw clip from your exact camera to see if a SVRT profile can be generated. Are you running PD14 release 2707 or newer? Some MOV SVRT issues resolved in the update.

Jeff
JonathanS [Avatar]
[Post New]
I updated just a day or two ago. Yesterday, I also upgraded my RAM from 12 GB to 32 GB, but saw no significant improvement. There is now a curious quirk that all my most recent mp4 videos now have audio but no video - I'm assuming that is a separate issue...

Too bad tsMuxerGUI won't work.

EDIT: Also, I opened a 3m43s clip, a mere 750k large. Still no SVRT options.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2016 12:35

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can copy all those video files to one continuous file if you want. This works with video files recorded in a single session. Type cmd <enter> in the dialog box to start a dos box session. Type copy /b file1.ext + file2.ext + file3.ext newfile.ext. File1,2,3 are the names of the files. Ext=MOV here. Newfile= name of your new file.

Unfortunately for me my camera records 29 min video mov files and stops so I don’t have any continuous mov files to try it out. If your files are indeed continuous then try it.
JonathanS [Avatar]
[Post New]
They are continuous - lemme give that a try!

Oh, so very close! Doing this does create a MOV file that is exactly the size of the two files combined, but when I import the new file into PowerDirector, the clip ends where the first clip originally ended. Is this related to the MOV "tags", for example, the tag says that the file is only so long, when there is actually two clips worth of info in them?

Does anyone else have a favorite utility that accomplishes this? Fusing two MOV files together without "producing" them?