Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How Can I Monitor or Otherwise Tell IF GPU or CPU is Being Utilized?
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Is everyone just using task Manager or resource manager while running a project during rendering that is providing information as to the CPU or GPU use? Or is there other diagnostic software (GPU-Z?? MediaInfo - I don't think it does but... examples like these - is there anything else) ?

At what point is either CPU or GPU being under utilized? If this is happening - how do you change that so either are more utilized properly?

Thanks

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2016 08:07

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Is everyone just using task Manager or resource manager while running a project during rendering that is providing information as to the CPU or GPU use? Or is there other diagnostic software (GPU-Z?? MediaInfo - I don't think it does but... examples like these - is there anything else) ?

At what point is either CPU or GPU being under utilized? If this is happening - how do you change that so either are more utilized properly?

Thanks

CS
GPU-Z will show GPU Load on the Sensors tab, which is the video card being used. Resource Monitor (Windows 7) will show CPU use and Disk activity, there is a Overall view that shows. CPU, Disk, Network, and Memory use. Does not show GPU use.

There may be third party CPU and GPU monitors that give a good idea of CPU and GPU use. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I've got both - GPU-Z and the Resource Monitor (RM from WIN8.1).

So it is just a game of watching the numbers as the rendering or whatever operation is going on with PD that will show up in these (like when I render a video or burn a disc?) - and then determining if the CPU or GPU is being under or over utilized??

Still would like to further investigate (from the OP):

"At what point is either CPU or GPU being under utilized? If this is happening - how do you change that so either are more utilized properly?"

At what percentages of use determine if I'm over-working or under-working the CPU or GPU? Does monitoring the temperature indicate this to any extent?

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2016 14:58

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've got both - GPU-Z and the Resource Monitor (RM from WIN8.1).

So it is just a game of watching the numbers as the rendering or whatever operation is going on with PD that will show up in these (like when I render a video or burn a disc?) - and then determining if the CPU or GPU is being under or over utilized??

Still would like to further investigate (from the OP):

"At what point is either CPU or GPU being under utilized? If this is happening - how do you change that so either are more utilized properly?"

At what percentages of use determine if I'm over-working or under-working the CPU or GPU? Does monitoring the temperature indicate this to any extent?

CS
The more the CPU is used, the more heat is generated. But if your CPU cooler is doing its job, that should not be a problem.

Besides, your computer will probably start beeping at you if the CPU is overheating. (BIOS over temperature warning).

That would be a Hardware problem. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.